Hi folks!
I can't really use XSI any more since I updated Windows 11 to 24H2 - getting a lot of scripting errors related to global variables.
I'll probably reinstall 23H2. Maybe that's why my system didn't automatically update to 24H2.
Can anybody confirm 24H2 causes problems?
Windows 11 24H2 problems? (solved)
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Windows 11 24H2 problems? (solved)
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Windows 11 24H2 problems?
Ok the issue was that the new (called "legacy") jscript scripting engine doesn't like uninitialized variables. It can be disabled this way:
1. Win+R (run) gpedit.msc
2. In the group "Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer" double click the setting "Replace JScript by loading JScript9Legacy in place of Jscript." (German Windows: "Ersetzen Sie JScript, indem Sie JScript9Legacy anstelle von JScript laden")
3. set it to DISABLED
4. restart PC
1. Win+R (run) gpedit.msc
2. In the group "Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer" double click the setting "Replace JScript by loading JScript9Legacy in place of Jscript." (German Windows: "Ersetzen Sie JScript, indem Sie JScript9Legacy anstelle von JScript laden")
3. set it to DISABLED
4. restart PC
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Windows 11 24H2 problems?
If XSI doesn't start then, it might also be neccessary to enable VBScript scripting, in that case:
in an Admin command prompt, type:
DISM /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:VBSCRIPT~~~~
in an Admin command prompt, type:
DISM /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:VBSCRIPT~~~~
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Windows 11 24H2 problems?
Is this resolved or does it remains a problem?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Windows 11 24H2 problems?
It's resolved, after doing steps 1-4, XSI just ignores the uninitialized variables as before.
I didn't see any negative effects of using the old jscript engine (so far...)
Alternatively you could edit all js files of XSI and put "var" in front of each uninitialized variable, which is probably a more future-proof method (but a lot of work)
Example:
to
other example:
to
I didn't see any negative effects of using the old jscript engine (so far...)
Alternatively you could edit all js files of XSI and put "var" in front of each uninitialized variable, which is probably a more future-proof method (but a lot of work)
Example:
Code: Select all
// First see if the user wants to use an external editor
strExternalEditor = TrimString(GetValue("preferences.scripting.externaleditor")) ;Code: Select all
// First see if the user wants to use an external editor
var strExternalEditor = TrimString(GetValue("preferences.scripting.externaleditor")) ;Code: Select all
for ( i = 0 ; i < oScriptEditors.count ; i++ )
aItems.push( oScriptEditors.Item(i) );Code: Select all
for (var i = 0 ; i < oScriptEditors.count ; i++ )
aItems.push( oScriptEditors.Item(i) );softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Shredder565
- Posts: 1107
- Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04
Re: Windows 11 24H2 problems?
THAT did it. I KNEW it had to be something with the latest windows update.rray wrote: 22 Nov 2024, 20:53 Ok the issue was that the new (called "legacy") jscript scripting engine doesn't like uninitialized variables. It can be disabled this way:
1. Win+R (run) gpedit.msc
2. In the group "Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer" double click the setting "Replace JScript by loading JScript9Legacy in place of Jscript." (German Windows: "Ersetzen Sie JScript, indem Sie JScript9Legacy anstelle von JScript laden")
3. set it to DISABLED
4. restart PC
rather than wait every few days for updates, I just do a fresh reformat once every 5 months once the latest bugs are worked out.
seems they missed one this time.
will keep this for the future.
thanks ever so much
Also, just an idea. adding programs people have migrated too in their own sub section might increase traffic again.
Nomad sculpt is much better than Zbrush, due to a de cluttered interface, and am almost thinking of using it exclusively for modeling now after only three days. sculpting is like having a permanent COG button on all the time, and makes it more fun.
but, I still have things to figure out
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Windows 11 24H2 problems? (solved)
There's already a section: viewforum.php?f=49
But it was quite hidden at the bottom, I moved it up into the general section.
I'll keep on suggesting XSI features to the Nomad developer, so if I'm successful, bits of XSI might live on in Nomad.
But it was quite hidden at the bottom, I moved it up into the general section.
I'll keep on suggesting XSI features to the Nomad developer, so if I'm successful, bits of XSI might live on in Nomad.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
homam
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 16 Mar 2013, 22:15
- Location: Montreal
Re: Windows 11 24H2 problems? (solved)
Thanks a lot for bringing this issue and proposing a solution. My temporarily solution was uninstall the update
, so I'm happy to see a proper solution.
I think it is worth writing a batch file to patch these jscripts for the future.
Regards
I think it is worth writing a batch file to patch these jscripts for the future.
Regards
-
wireframex
- Posts: 425
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
- Location: France
Re: Windows 11 24H2 problems? (solved)
Thanks a lot it works very well 
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory