Softimage Nvidia Flex
Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)
Flex to Si updated March 2023 — (from the zip's readme) Flex to Si is a connector to Flex (NVidia's hardware accelerated physics framework).
Not all flex features are enabled, only calculation of fluids and their collision
with static and dynamic geometry.
Installation : put in the same directory e.g. c:\Users\alex\Autodesk\Softimage_2015_R2-SP2\Application\Plugins\nt-x86-64\flextest\ Needs DirectX!!!
Configurable parameters include (see the archive readme for some more explanation): Fluid Mode, Max Particles, Substeps, NumIterations, Speed, Max Particle Speed, Fluid Resolution Multiplier, Fluid resolution, Collision distance, Rest offset, Shape collision margin, Particle collision margin, World Gravity, Adhesion Strength, Cohesion Force, Surface Tension, Viscosity, Vorticity, Dynamic Friction, Static Friction, Particle Friction, Drag, Lift, Damping, Static triangle mesh, Static SDF mesh, Kinematic substeps, Kinematic triangle mesh, Plane Null, Use Ground Plane.
local backup: flex_to_xsi_2.06_1_17_2023.zip
Installation : put in the same directory e.g. c:\Users\alex\Autodesk\Softimage_2015_R2-SP2\Application\Plugins\nt-x86-64\flextest\ Needs DirectX!!!
Configurable parameters include (see the archive readme for some more explanation): Fluid Mode, Max Particles, Substeps, NumIterations, Speed, Max Particle Speed, Fluid Resolution Multiplier, Fluid resolution, Collision distance, Rest offset, Shape collision margin, Particle collision margin, World Gravity, Adhesion Strength, Cohesion Force, Surface Tension, Viscosity, Vorticity, Dynamic Friction, Static Friction, Particle Friction, Drag, Lift, Damping, Static triangle mesh, Static SDF mesh, Kinematic substeps, Kinematic triangle mesh, Plane Null, Use Ground Plane.
local backup: flex_to_xsi_2.06_1_17_2023.zip
-
mr_alca
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 16:15
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
The dll libraries from 2.06 are relatively new and they don't work with PCTools. PCTools uses older dll versions. In fact, the PCTools build was just missing a few dlls. This may be because the author of PCTools had a C++ project configured so that not all the necessary libraries were in one place (like mine).
-
FXDude
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
Ah !mr_alca wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 21:24 The dll libraries from 2.06 are relatively new and they don't work with PCTools. PCTools uses older dll versions. In fact, the PCTools build was just missing a few dlls. This may be because the author of PCTools had a C++ project configured so that not all the necessary libraries were in one place (like mine).
I thought you were saying the opposite !
( that pcTools worked by adding 2.06 dlls to it's folder )
so if I got you right, flex 2.06 can be installed concurrently with PCTools that has flex 2.05 DLL's added to it ?mr_alca wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 20:42 I tried this installation method, I succeeded. I also realized that PCTools is not compatible with my Flex_To_Si_2.05 plugin, but everything works perfectly when with the flex_to_xsi_2.06 plugin version.
I didn't try reinstalling Flex after uninstalling everything Flex related, and installing PcTools,
so I'll try to reinstall Flex 2.06
-
mr_alca
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 16:15
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
Yes, that's right.FXDude wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 21:43 so if I got you right, flex 2.06 can be installed concurrently with PCTools that has flex 2.05 DLL's added to it ?
-
FXDude
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
Hi Mr.Alca,
I can corroborate / confirm everything that you said !
So if anybody wants, here's a pcTools
( with all required DLL libraries & "VizUpdated" sample scenes )
also along with latest flexFluids 2.06
( all working without having to mess-around copying files )
pcTools-with-Flex-2.06.zip
( extract in your "Addons" folder, and the samples where you want )
And here's also some documentation for Flex itself,
https://gameworksdocs.nvidia.com/FleX/1 ... anual.html
... and 1.10 + 1.20 release notes
https://gameworksdocs.nvidia.com/FleX/1 ... notes.html
Fluids in 1.20 ( the version in SItoFlex 2.06 ) should have more reliable deforming obstacles, and other things. ( if exposed )
Cheers !
-
grifgont
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 24 Jun 2009, 11:51
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
Thanks again!FXDude wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 20:16Hi Mr.Alca,
I can corroborate / confirm everything that you said !
So if anybody wants, here's a pcTools
( with all required DLL libraries & "VizUpdated" sample scenes )
also along with latest flexFluids 2.06
( all working without having to mess-around copying files )
pcTools-with-Flex-2.06.zip
( extract in your "Addons" folder, and the samples where you want )
And here's also some documentation for Flex itself,
https://gameworksdocs.nvidia.com/FleX/1 ... anual.html
... and 1.10 + 1.20 release notes
https://gameworksdocs.nvidia.com/FleX/1 ... notes.html
Fluids in 1.20 ( the version in SItoFlex 2.06 ) should have more reliable deforming obstacles, and other things. ( if exposed )
Cheers !
-
SitoH
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 04 Jun 2022, 09:21
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
Hi,
I need some help..
I'm trying to simplify (sort of) the SItoFlex scenes Pedrito gave us and I'm stuck animating a pin constraint with a cloth or softbody. I'm looking for something similar to XSI's Syflex constraints.
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thx!
I need some help..
I'm trying to simplify (sort of) the SItoFlex scenes Pedrito gave us and I'm stuck animating a pin constraint with a cloth or softbody. I'm looking for something similar to XSI's Syflex constraints.
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thx!
-
FXDude
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
Hi !SitoH wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 14:23 Hi,
I need some help..![]()
I'm trying to simplify (sort of) the SItoFlex scenes Pedrito gave us and I'm stuck animating a pin constraint with a cloth or softbody. I'm looking for something similar to XSI's Syflex constraints.
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thx!
sorry about the delay, I found where the pins were defined in the "FLEX_POURING_CLOTH.scn" sample scene ,
---> by a weightmap on the cloth modeling stack
but couldn't find where they were referenced-back in !
Yet I eventually found the weightmap reference in the "PC_Flex Object Data to Array" node in the pointcloud modeling stack
( see selected nodes in picture )
So to animate pins ... the weightmap could perhaps be defined by little spheres that set weightmap values to 1 for the points inside the spheres ?
It also goes without saying that the node setups for "multiphysics" can be somewhat more involving relative to the very simple "flexToXSI" single node for fluids,
yet also aren't -that- bad to figure-out.
In any event, let us know, & cheers !
-
SitoH
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 04 Jun 2022, 09:21
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
Hi FXDude,
Thanks a lot for the tips. I've had quite a busy time and haven't had time to do any more research.
Thank you very much once again for the answer. I'll be back as soon as I find something
Thanks a lot for the tips. I've had quite a busy time and haven't had time to do any more research.
Thank you very much once again for the answer. I'll be back as soon as I find something
-
SitoH
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 04 Jun 2022, 09:21
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
I somehow managed to restore the scene - FLEX_CREATURE_SKIN to work in case anyone else is interested
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1ftft9lr ... 3yzaw&dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1ftft9lr ... 3yzaw&dl=0
Last edited by SitoH on 23 Jul 2024, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
-
Pedrito
- Posts: 43
- Joined: 21 Feb 2018, 11:46
- Location: Zaragoza,Spain
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
Nicee!! Mine wasn't working neither last time I checked hahaha
Btw, I released source code some time ago if anyone is interested:
https://github.com/pedroCabrera/pcXsiFlex
Btw, I released source code some time ago if anyone is interested:
https://github.com/pedroCabrera/pcXsiFlex
-
SitoH
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 04 Jun 2022, 09:21
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
Thanks for sharing, Pedrito!Pedrito wrote: 23 Jul 2024, 00:43 Nicee!! Mine wasn't working neither last time I checked hahaha
Btw, I released source code some time ago if anyone is interested:
https://github.com/pedroCabrera/pcXsiFlex
-
mr_alca
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 16:15
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
If suddenly someone else needs this, then here is a small upgrade. I just added a couple of things.
1. The water - sand switch now works correctly.
2. Added smoothing.
3. Added anisotropy.
1. The water - sand switch now works correctly.
2. Added smoothing.
3. Added anisotropy.
-
SitoH
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 04 Jun 2022, 09:21
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
🧡🧡🧡 Thanks for upgrade!
mr_alca wrote: 27 Jul 2024, 11:48 If suddenly someone else needs this, then here is a small upgrade. I just added a couple of things.
1. The water - sand switch now works correctly.
2. Added smoothing.
3. Added anisotropy.
-
Pedrito
- Posts: 43
- Joined: 21 Feb 2018, 11:46
- Location: Zaragoza,Spain
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
I imagine some of you guys moved to houdini like me, im updating the Houdini flex plugin to work with 20.5 and be more "sop friendly" and easy to use, you can test it here in the new constraint branch if any one is interested
https://github.com/pedroCabrera/Houdini-NvFlex
https://github.com/pedroCabrera/Houdini-NvFlex
-
FXDude
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
indeed thanks for the fixes/upgrades, it's nice that Pedrito opened sourced it (THANKS!),mr_alca wrote: 27 Jul 2024, 11:48 If suddenly someone else needs this, then here is a small upgrade. I just added a couple of things.
1. The water - sand switch now works correctly.
2. Added smoothing.
3. Added anisotropy.
and that someone was able enough to get into the guts of it !
Will definitely be trying it !
-
FXDude
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59
Re: Softimage Nvidia Flex
Houdini users will be greatful!Pedrito wrote: 02 Aug 2024, 15:01 I imagine some of you guys moved to houdini like me, im updating the Houdini flex plugin to work with 20.5 and be more "sop friendly" and easy to use, you can test it here in the new constraint branch if any one is interested
https://github.com/pedroCabrera/Houdini-NvFlex
Already is Houdini like "made for that", while Flip sims can also be decently fast on CPUs
but if using the GPU ( with less memory than the CPU has access to ),
there are ready made tools to split simulations, some of which have been there for a very long time.
Houdini 18 Distribute sim rnd
This 17 part tutorial covers alot of ground for ocean sims
Houdini Water FX - Stormy Seas - 1 - Base Simulation
Cheers !