Doritos tutorial from Softimage Blog

Links and discussions concerning tutorials
User avatar
3DTutorial
Posts: 66
Joined: 12 Sep 2009, 19:59
Location: New Jersey, USA

Doritos tutorial from Softimage Blog

Post by 3DTutorial » 14 May 2024, 14:40

Hi Friends,

Does anyone know if the original doritos tutorial by Steven Caron that was posted on the Softimage blog still exists anywhere?

I've been trying to access the paper/tutorial but I've not had any joy finding it, the website seems to be gone. I looked on the wayback machine but I was not able to find it.
I was wondering if anyone has bothered to save a copy of that somewhere? If so, I'd be very interested in getting hold of a copy of that. Hope someone has it, fingers crossed ! Many thanks everyone !!!

Cheers,

Joe
Certified Softimage Instructor & Old Timer
Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/JoeSaltzman

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Doritos tutorial from Softimage Blog

Post by rray » 14 May 2024, 16:08

Hi :)
Somebody created an archive of it at some point, not sure who though. The articles all seem to be there but the downloads are missing. Maybe it still helps.
It's here: https://www.si-community.com/download/S ... ogArchive/
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Doritos tutorial from Softimage Blog

Post by rray » 14 May 2024, 16:27

Wait :) Yet better.. I think I got lucky with the WayBack machine, clicked the right date one that still had a lof of the pages.
And most of the downloads seem to be working too.
http://web.archive.org/web/201707132243 ... ry/rigging
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

User avatar
3DTutorial
Posts: 66
Joined: 12 Sep 2009, 19:59
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Doritos tutorial from Softimage Blog

Post by 3DTutorial » 14 May 2024, 16:35

Hi Ray,

OMG !!! You are a wizard...wow. Thanks so very much, I can't believe you found this, you just made my day !

Cheers M8

Joe
Certified Softimage Instructor & Old Timer
Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/JoeSaltzman

opoppopopp
Posts: 213
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 04:23

Re: Doritos tutorial from Softimage Blog

Post by opoppopopp » 14 May 2024, 18:27

All these years later, I still want to know WHO came up with the ideas of "KineState" and "neutral pose" in XSI.
SO basic(advance) feature! *-:)

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Doritos tutorial from Softimage Blog

Post by rray » 15 May 2024, 20:32

Haha, always happy to help. Doritos is an really interesting approach, deformers sitting on shapes, and still being able to do their deforming work independently! Soon 18 years old but still feels like it's some new tech that just arrived.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

User avatar
3DTutorial
Posts: 66
Joined: 12 Sep 2009, 19:59
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Doritos tutorial from Softimage Blog

Post by 3DTutorial » 16 May 2024, 15:28

Hi Everyone,

Just out of curiosity has anyone managed to get the scripts that Steven Caron wrote in connection with this tutorial/paper/blog post to run within a modern version of Softimage...such as 2015? I attempted to run them but I keep receiving an error saying that a component must be selected, however I have a component selected but it does not seem to recognize it, so either I'm doing something wrong (which I don't think I am) or something is misconfigured or broken. Any ideas?
Certified Softimage Instructor & Old Timer
Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/JoeSaltzman

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Doritos tutorial from Softimage Blog

Post by rray » 17 May 2024, 19:45

Hi Joe -- There were some small fixes neccessary, probably coming from the older XSI version.

Make sure to run the first script on the original head, not the cloned head (as I did :- )

Code: Select all

#imports
import win32com.client
from win32com.client import constants
 
#globals
xsi	= win32com.client.Dispatch( "XSI.Application" ).Application
xsiPrint = xsi.LogMessage
 
def setupDorrito():
	if len(xsi.Selection) < 1:
		xsiPrint("Select an component!",constants.siError)
		return False
 
	root = xsi.ActiveSceneRoot
 
	#create cluster constrained null, setup its look
	clsCnsNull = root.AddNull("clsCnsNull")
	clsCnsNull.primary_icon.value = 0
	clsCnsNull.size.value = 0.1
	clsCnsNull.shadow_icon.value = 7
	clsCnsNull.shadow_colour_custom.value = 1
	clsCnsNull.B.value = 1
	clsCnsNull.G.value = 0.5
 
	#make cluster from selection
	subComponent = xsi.Selection(0).SubComponent
	cnsCls = subComponent.CreateCluster("cnsCls")
 
	#constrain object to cluster
	cns = clsCnsNull.Kinematics.AddConstraint("ObjectToCluster",cnsCls)
	cns.Parameters("tangent").Value = 1
	cns.Parameters("dirx").Value = 0
	cns.Parameters("diry").Value = -1
	cns.Parameters("upvct_active").Value = 1
	cns.Parameters("upx").Value = 1
	cns.Parameters("upy").Value = 0
 
	#make dorrito
	dorrito = root.AddNull("dorrito")
	dorrito.primary_icon.value = 0
	dorrito.size.value = 0.2
	dorrito.shadow_icon.value = 8
	dorrito.shadow_colour_custom.value = 1
	dorrito.G.value = 1
	dorrito.shadow_offsetX.value = 0.1
	dorrito.shadow_scaleX.value = 0
 
	clsCnsNull.AddChild(dorrito)
	dorrito.kinematics.local.transform = XSIMath.CreateTransform()
 
setupDorrito()

Code: Select all

#imports
import win32com.client
from win32com.client import constants
 
#globals
xsi	= win32com.client.Dispatch( "XSI.Application" ).Application
xsiPrint = xsi.LogMessage
 
def setupStaticState():
	defList = []
	clsList = []
	for i in xrange(0,len(xsi.Selection),2):
		clsList.append(xsi.Selection(i))
		defList.append(xsi.Selection(i+1))
 
	for a,b in zip(defList,clsList):
		xsiPrint(a)
		defKineState = a.Properties("Static_KineState")
		clsKine = b.Properties("Kinematics")
 
		defKineState.Parameters("orix").AddExpression(clsKine.FullName + ".global.rotx")
		defKineState.Parameters("oriy").AddExpression(clsKine.FullName + ".global.roty")
		defKineState.Parameters("oriz").AddExpression(clsKine.FullName + ".global.rotz")
		defKineState.Parameters("posx").AddExpression(clsKine.FullName + ".global.posx")
		defKineState.Parameters("posy").AddExpression(clsKine.FullName + ".global.posy")
		defKineState.Parameters("posz").AddExpression(clsKine.FullName + ".global.posz")
 
setupStaticState()
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

User avatar
3DTutorial
Posts: 66
Joined: 12 Sep 2009, 19:59
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Doritos tutorial from Softimage Blog

Post by 3DTutorial » 17 May 2024, 20:15

Hi Ray,

Fantastic, thank you SO much for the help !

Cheers,

Joe
Certified Softimage Instructor & Old Timer
Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/JoeSaltzman