Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.4.1Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.4.1 released August 2026 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. Version 2.4 is compiled with Cycles 5.3 (state of July 2026). The second generation of the addon (since 2.0) is a complete rewrite and works with Softimage 2015 SP2.

New since version 2.1.3 (from the github release notes): 2.4.1: fixed incorrect transforms of instances when the master model has rotation or scale, repacked with missing DLLs 2.4: Cycles 5.3. New Alpha parameter for the ImageTexture node, Sky Texture with Single and Multiple Scattering models, Thin Film for Metallic and Glass BSDF, new Raycast and Scene Time nodes, OSL custom camera, Linear 3D curve shape (also as per-object override), Geometry Approximation mode for NURBS surfaces, Render Time pass (CPU), texture optimisation (resolution, limit, tx texture cache) and a detailed scene export timing log 2.4: renders MaterialX shader trees from the MaterialXSI addon (converted to OSL). Note: OSL shading works on CPU render devices only 2.3.x: Cycles 4.5, OSL support is back, new Metallic BSDF and Set Normal nodes, phase function for Scatter Volume, Diffuse Roughness for Principled BSDF, more Noise Texture types, subdivision with motion deform, per-frame texture images, rendering of NURBS surfaces and curves (via custom properties), tile rendering, fixed shadow catcher, vector input ports for OSL shaders 2.2.x: nodes of Blender 4.3 (Ray Portal BSDF, Sheen BSDF, Gabor Texture, redesigned Principled BSDF), current Blender OCIO color profiles, custom velocity grids for VDB primitives, Particle Info node fed by ICE attributes, denoising of the final passes with OIDN or OptiX

Supported Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following built-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE pointcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passes Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows you to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. The libraries for GPU rendering are included in the package. All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there as well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
wireframex
Posts: 425
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
Location: France

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by wireframex » 05 Feb 2023, 13:50

avalon_70 wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 05:26 Edit.. I can't put (Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.) :-?
You can store it in https://www.dropbox.com to share it ?
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

User avatar
wireframex
Posts: 425
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
Location: France

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by wireframex » 05 Feb 2023, 18:51

Hi shekn,

Do you think to update HDRMaster soon ?
Thanks
Phil
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

User avatar
avalon_70
Posts: 45
Joined: 09 Jan 2021, 13:59

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by avalon_70 » 06 Feb 2023, 01:51

Shekn wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 06:52 Include or not include, that is the question. The reason to distribute libraries for GPUs separately is to reduce the addon size. As I understand by your remarks it is inconvenient. Ok, next time I will include the lib folder into addon package.
Thank you ^:)^ ..
wireframex wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 13:50
avalon_70 wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 05:26 Edit.. I can't put (Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.) :-?
You can store it in https://www.dropbox.com to share it ?
Ok. :)
You can find the two "compounds" here:

https://www.taobargraphics.com/download

Right click on the button and "save link as..."

The new site is in progress, as soon as I have some time to complete it... :)

Shekn
Posts: 254
Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Shekn » 06 Feb 2023, 13:48

About HDRMaster. I think about it, but if make update, then it should fix some other problems. For example, when it fills the library with hdr maps, then it spams jpg-s to the directory with hdr files. It's not ok. It will be better to store these secondary images in different directory or may be even in the database. Also it will be helpful to add support of the other renderers: MentalRay, Arnold or my other integrations (ospRay and LuxCore). It's possible, but requires some time.

User avatar
wireframex
Posts: 425
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
Location: France

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by wireframex » 06 Feb 2023, 16:05

avalon_70 wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 01:51
You can find the two "compounds" here:

https://www.taobargraphics.com/download
Thanks :)

EDIT : Can't download it --> I tried with Opera and Edge Browser without any success because of security problem
Last edited by wireframex on 06 Feb 2023, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

User avatar
wireframex
Posts: 425
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
Location: France

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by wireframex » 06 Feb 2023, 16:06

Shekn wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 13:48 About HDRMaster. I think about it, but if make update, then it should fix some other problems. For example, when it fills the library with hdr maps, then it spams jpg-s to the directory with hdr files. It's not ok. It will be better to store these secondary images in different directory or may be even in the database. Also it will be helpful to add support of the other renderers: MentalRay, Arnold or my other integrations (ospRay and LuxCore). It's possible, but requires some time.
Ok don't worry
It will be ready when it will be ready :)
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

opoppopopp
Posts: 213
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 04:23

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by opoppopopp » 07 Feb 2023, 18:04

Log Statistics won't log real object name as before?
// Geometry:
// Total memory: 5.08M (5,326,626)
// mesh 1.85M (1,935,408)
// mesh 1.85M (1,935,408)
// mesh 496.20K (508,109)
// Geometry:
// Total memory: 5.08M (5,326,549)
// polymsh_detached1 1.85M (1,935,408)
// polymsh_detached1 1.85M (1,935,408)
// di 496.20K (508,109)

User avatar
avalon_70
Posts: 45
Joined: 09 Jan 2021, 13:59

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by avalon_70 » 08 Feb 2023, 12:00

wireframex wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 16:05 EDIT : Can't download it --> I tried with Opera and Edge Browser without any success because of security problem
Try here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3b4vrunmtty2 ... 2.zip?dl=0

Shekn
Posts: 254
Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Shekn » 08 Feb 2023, 14:17

About logging mesh names. You are right, I will fix it in the next update.

User avatar
wireframex
Posts: 425
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
Location: France

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by wireframex » 08 Feb 2023, 18:01

Far better :)
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

User avatar
avalon_70
Posts: 45
Joined: 09 Jan 2021, 13:59

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by avalon_70 » 19 Feb 2023, 04:13

After a long time I have to do a job that includes a render. I'm trying to use cycles and I noticed a few problems:
The first is the disappearance of the tiles in the options (blender 3.4 has them), and every test I have to wait for it to complete the whole frame.
The ideal is that they existed and started from the center in a spiral, but I don't know if this is feasible.
Image
Second problem, the render must perhaps be very large in size (it will have to be printed), and doing a quick test up to about 8000px it works, then it crashes (I have a GTX 1070 with 8gb of ram), it could also be a settings problem that I do not know.

Shekn
Posts: 254
Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Shekn » 19 Feb 2023, 07:34

These are two slightly different issues. Tiling rendering option is hidden in UI of the Sycles, because there are some problems with it. I can not properly setup this mode. I set all parameters in the same way as in Blender sources, but my render is crashes. So, it requires more investigations. In theory this tiling mode should help to render big images.

But, I tried to render 16k width image in built-in MentalRay, ant it crashed. I think that the reason not on the render engine, but in Softimage. It allocates the frame buffer for output to the screen, and if it overflow the gpu memory, then it crashes. All successfully rendered in the batch mode. MenalRay image with 16k output result and also Sycles image with the same size. In batch mode all works with cpu or gpu render devices.

User avatar
avalon_70
Posts: 45
Joined: 09 Jan 2021, 13:59

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by avalon_70 » 20 Feb 2023, 06:41

Shekn wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 07:34 These are two slightly different issues. Tiling rendering option is hidden in UI of the Sycles, because there are some problems with it. I can not properly setup this mode. I set all parameters in the same way as in Blender sources, but my render is crashes. So, it requires more investigations. In theory this tiling mode should help to render big images.

But, I tried to render 16k width image in built-in MentalRay, ant it crashed. I think that the reason not on the render engine, but in Softimage. It allocates the frame buffer for output to the screen, and if it overflow the gpu memory, then it crashes. All successfully rendered in the batch mode. MenalRay image with 16k output result and also Sycles image with the same size. In batch mode all works with cpu or gpu render devices.
Okay, thanks for the reply.
Tile rendering is very convenient for scene setup, when there is a need to calibrate the various materials. :)
Ok for the batch render, I've used it a lot in the past, if I remember correctly I still have a tool that helps in its creation ( RenderQ if I remember correctly). :D

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Maximus » 23 Feb 2023, 11:23

Im having constant crashes on rendering Strands. Just a simple basic emission > generate strand trails and render causes softimage to crash
anyone experienced this?

User avatar
avalon_70
Posts: 45
Joined: 09 Jan 2021, 13:59

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by avalon_70 » 24 Feb 2023, 03:20

Maximus wrote: 23 Feb 2023, 11:23 Im having constant crashes on rendering Strands. Just a simple basic emission > generate strand trails and render causes softimage to crash
anyone experienced this?
I just tried. It doesn't crash for me. GTX 1070 and installation without DLL change.
Image

Shekn
Posts: 254
Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Shekn » 24 Feb 2023, 06:18

I checked, and for me strands and, in particular, strand trails are working without any errors.