Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.4.1Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.4.1 released August 2026 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. Version 2.4 is compiled with Cycles 5.3 (state of July 2026). The second generation of the addon (since 2.0) is a complete rewrite and works with Softimage 2015 SP2.

New since version 2.1.3 (from the github release notes): 2.4.1: fixed incorrect transforms of instances when the master model has rotation or scale, repacked with missing DLLs 2.4: Cycles 5.3. New Alpha parameter for the ImageTexture node, Sky Texture with Single and Multiple Scattering models, Thin Film for Metallic and Glass BSDF, new Raycast and Scene Time nodes, OSL custom camera, Linear 3D curve shape (also as per-object override), Geometry Approximation mode for NURBS surfaces, Render Time pass (CPU), texture optimisation (resolution, limit, tx texture cache) and a detailed scene export timing log 2.4: renders MaterialX shader trees from the MaterialXSI addon (converted to OSL). Note: OSL shading works on CPU render devices only 2.3.x: Cycles 4.5, OSL support is back, new Metallic BSDF and Set Normal nodes, phase function for Scatter Volume, Diffuse Roughness for Principled BSDF, more Noise Texture types, subdivision with motion deform, per-frame texture images, rendering of NURBS surfaces and curves (via custom properties), tile rendering, fixed shadow catcher, vector input ports for OSL shaders 2.2.x: nodes of Blender 4.3 (Ray Portal BSDF, Sheen BSDF, Gabor Texture, redesigned Principled BSDF), current Blender OCIO color profiles, custom velocity grids for VDB primitives, Particle Info node fed by ICE attributes, denoising of the final passes with OIDN or OptiX

Supported Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following built-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE pointcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passes Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows you to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. The libraries for GPU rendering are included in the package. All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there as well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
Surface_VR
Posts: 39
Joined: 11 May 2020, 12:22

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Surface_VR » 14 Jun 2021, 04:36

xsisoft wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 10:38 maybe we will create a separate branch -and put there -the final renders in cycles and softimage (especially ice is interesting (because it does not seem to support everything) -and note to the developer) what do you say? it will be more final and structured - the(test &) final renders in cycles and softimage
I'd like to do it in the future, when we have more movies!

Surface_VR
Posts: 39
Joined: 11 May 2020, 12:22

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Surface_VR » 24 Jun 2021, 07:33

By the way, you can now add default texture nodes,
but is there any items that correspond to the Extension of cycTextureimage yet?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shekn
Posts: 254
Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Shekn » 25 Jun 2021, 05:17

There is a problem with this parameter. I can't find the parameter in the Image node, which allows to switch between different wrap modes of the texture coordinates (clamp the texture, repeat it or something else). By default Metal Ray does not repeat the texture, if the point outside of the uv coordinates. But in most cases it should be repeted. That's why in Sycles the Image node translated to cycImageTexture with repeat extension mode.

Surface_VR
Posts: 39
Joined: 11 May 2020, 12:22

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Surface_VR » 26 Jun 2021, 04:09

OK.
I guess it's better to use the cycimagetexture node when applying decals.
Thanks!

User avatar
SPJ
Posts: 75
Joined: 14 Jun 2014, 13:38

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by SPJ » 27 Jun 2021, 12:11

Surface_VR wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 12:02 I want to post my renderings too!


All videos were created in Softimage and rendered in Sycles.
Textures were created in Substance Painter, Quixel Mixer, and free PBR textures.
It's great that ICE can be rendered in Cycles!
Very nice work there! Good to have someone else around that is having success with the workflows between SI and Sycles!

I've been tackling other client projects that are purely After Effects based lately so I haven't had much more time with XSI. I bought a new machine with a AMD Radeon 5700XT but I think that might of been a mistake because so far it isn't rendering with GPU. I'm going to try a bunch of different graphics driver versions as people in the Blender community are also having some issues with the 5700XT. I'm sure if I can get it to work, it will be so much faster!

User avatar
SPJ
Posts: 75
Joined: 14 Jun 2014, 13:38

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by SPJ » 27 Jun 2021, 15:16

Hey Shekn, do you keep older versions of Sycles available to download at all?

I'm looking to try the 5700 XT GPU on different iterations of the Cycles source to see if I can get it to work. I've tried various graphics drivers from Nov 2020 - May 2021, but I just get a black frame from GPU only. CPU is fine.

I'm reading that it could be an OpenCL issue and that some users are having better results from either different graphics drivers or different Blender releases.

Thanks

Shekn
Posts: 254
Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Shekn » 28 Jun 2021, 06:59


User avatar
SPJ
Posts: 75
Joined: 14 Jun 2014, 13:38

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by SPJ » 28 Jun 2021, 08:40

Appreciate the links, I'll give these a try!

Shekn
Posts: 254
Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Shekn » 28 Jun 2021, 09:30

One more links. I find an old backup with versions 1.1 - 1.7.5: https://mega.nz/file/JoInlYhL#Gk2UR8-4c ... H0LCfBkSRs

User avatar
SPJ
Posts: 75
Joined: 14 Jun 2014, 13:38

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by SPJ » 28 Jun 2021, 10:27

Shekn wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 09:30 One more links. I find an old backup with versions 1.1 - 1.7.5: https://mega.nz/file/JoInlYhL#Gk2UR8-4c ... H0LCfBkSRs
Wow, lots of versions to try. Thanks shekn, this will keep me busy for a bit. Hopefully I get a breakthrough!

User avatar
SPJ
Posts: 75
Joined: 14 Jun 2014, 13:38

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by SPJ » 28 Jun 2021, 13:23

rray wrote: 06 Oct 2017, 15:53 Something to do with tiles but hard to tell. Can do test some different HW tonight.

without denoise:
Image

with denoise:
Image

options (all at default)
Image
I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶a̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶S̶y̶c̶l̶e̶s̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶r̶e̶n̶d̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶G̶P̶U̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶a̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶:̶ ̶-̶

V̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶1̶.̶5̶ ̶c̶r̶a̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶X̶S̶I̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶C̶y̶c̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶-̶
V̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶1̶.̶4̶ ̶r̶e̶n̶d̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶p̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶2̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶a̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶m̶a̶g̶e̶.̶ ̶

R̶e̶a̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶u̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶i̶c̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶f̶r̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶G̶P̶U̶ ̶a̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶a̶g̶e̶s̶ ̶3̶-̶4̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶i̶m̶i̶l̶a̶r̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶l̶e̶m̶ ̶(̶a̶l̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶A̶M̶D̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶C̶U̶D̶A̶ ̶-̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶h̶a̶p̶s̶ ̶O̶p̶e̶n̶C̶L̶?̶)̶.̶ ̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶u̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶S̶y̶c̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶i̶m̶i̶l̶a̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶p̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶2̶?̶

EDIT: It looks like when 1.5 crashed, the XSI process was still running when I installed 1.4. The result was some 1.5 files didn't get removed when I installed 1.4 because they were read only. So basically the results above are not accurate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
SPJ
Posts: 75
Joined: 14 Jun 2014, 13:38

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by SPJ » 28 Jun 2021, 15:06

Been through all the versions that support GPU rendering and none of them are rendering with the GPU enabled. I just get a black frame.

I'm out of ideas, so I think I'll have to accept the GPU just won't work with Sycles :(

There are a lot of reports of problems with 5700 XT using Cycles in Blender. I should have looked into it before I purchased!

User avatar
wireframex
Posts: 425
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
Location: France

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by wireframex » 28 Jun 2021, 16:41

Nvidia is the right move ;)
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

User avatar
SPJ
Posts: 75
Joined: 14 Jun 2014, 13:38

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by SPJ » 28 Jun 2021, 18:01

wireframex wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 16:41 Nvidia is the right move ;)
If only I knew that 3 weeks ago!! Not like gpus are that easy to get a hold of atm anyway!

User avatar
I3D
Posts: 122
Joined: 12 Aug 2009, 16:15
Skype: ironic3d

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by I3D » 06 Jul 2021, 02:49

Hi Shekn

I have 4 Tesla cards that only show up as CUDA but only 3 show up as OptiX. is this a widget limitation that cannot scroll beyond that point?

Image

Thank you

Shekn
Posts: 254
Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by Shekn » 06 Jul 2021, 04:36

Yes, this is my limitation. I hardcode the limit to 8 devices, but it's possible to increase the limit in the next update. May be to 1024 devices. 1k devices ought to be enough for anybody.