I'm not so sure about that. '03-'07 is quite a gap really. And by '03 many of the previous big Soft3D customers had already shifted to Maya (I know at EA we had and MR wasn't a big factor). I think MR was still fine for most of that period, it was only maybe towards the end of that and into '07 that perhaps MR was looking abit tired. If anything I'd say Soft was in some ways propping it up.Bullit wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 19:54That wasn't the point being made. It was that Mentalray obsolescence contributed to demise of Softimage in say the perid of ~2003 to ~2007.Bellsey wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 14:00 I don't really see any correlation between the Mental Ray EoL and Softimage EoL.
FxDude ICE appeared while Softimage was still with Avid.
FxDude, you've put alot down there, and I think got some wires crossed.
MPC have been a Maya studio for as long as I can remember, so Softimage acquisition and EoL barely hit them. Kim Aldis sold his company in the early noughties, and after some consulting got out of the industry, long before acquistion and EoL.
Also I can categorically say from my view, even from day one at Autodesk I was never told to stop pushing Softimage and start moving people to Maya. It was only towards the end that I was taken aside and politely told to wind things down, if I look back I could probably find the date. The official word came not long after that.