AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
-
Daniel Brassard
- Posts: 878
- Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
- Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
I hated the dongle ... how many type i broke that thing switching computer. The pins were fragile.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
-
luchifer
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 20:27
- Location: Lima, Perú
Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
hi, getting on-topic, my name is Luis Riera from America Television (broadcast media) in Peru. I have a Q about the subscription:
Should we buy Autodesk through retailer (wich I dont know if they will exist anymore) or is web-only?, because if its the latter I dont see how do we get a receipt (the sales department is old fashioned and only works with physical receipts).
I ask because once I wanted a subscprition with digital tutors, but the sales department denied the request because they only give email confirmation of the purchase, so I have to pay it by myself ($400 a year).
edit:
Also a second Q:
We are behind a firewall, so usually I donwload the Updates 1 and 2 at my house, and then install manually here at work. But, if it seems to be like Adobe CC, I dont see how I will get updates behind firewall, I read in the area forum there will be more updates than before to the Autodesk Suite, can those updates be downloaded as usual?
Should we buy Autodesk through retailer (wich I dont know if they will exist anymore) or is web-only?, because if its the latter I dont see how do we get a receipt (the sales department is old fashioned and only works with physical receipts).
I ask because once I wanted a subscprition with digital tutors, but the sales department denied the request because they only give email confirmation of the purchase, so I have to pay it by myself ($400 a year).
edit:
Also a second Q:
We are behind a firewall, so usually I donwload the Updates 1 and 2 at my house, and then install manually here at work. But, if it seems to be like Adobe CC, I dont see how I will get updates behind firewall, I read in the area forum there will be more updates than before to the Autodesk Suite, can those updates be downloaded as usual?
Last edited by luchifer on 02 Apr 2015, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
-
pluMmet
- Posts: 217
- Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
- Skype: bigcuberight
Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
Too funny .. now we must all introduce ourselves 
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
Dude that's not the point and I think you know it. You have no moral high ground calling me out as an Autodesk employee as if I was hiding. I'm posting under my own name, a very unique first name, and always as an Autodesk employee. You can totally post under an alias, but you have no moral high ground, it's a trick to hide posts from easily being found by employers/colleagues and consequences. It's only a fake online persona doing the talkingpluMmet wrote:I agree... besides how simple it is to find my name...Hirazi Blue wrote:Let us end this rather silly "actual name" discussion now...
;)
But this fellow seems to have some sort of burning desire so as an AD employee you should have no problem asking the right person to type this in and find the mysterious me
Last edited by luceric on 02 Apr 2015, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
-
pluMmet
- Posts: 217
- Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
- Skype: bigcuberight
Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
You might be correct if I had an employer or colleagues in this field that did not know that I am pluMmet in all places of the internet.. I might not be Taron but this is a normal situation.luceric wrote:Dude that's not the point and I think you know it. You have no moral high ground here, calling me out as an Autodesk employee as if I was hiding. I'm posting under my own name, a very unique first name, and always as an Autodesk employee. You can totally post under an alias, but you have no moral high ground, you're just hiding your posts from easily being found by employers/colleagues, etc. you're not personally standing behind any of it for real.
If I personally know them they know I am pluMmet.
* I am MeioJo on Steam... I don't want to be called a liar
-
pluMmet
- Posts: 217
- Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
- Skype: bigcuberight
Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
While we are at it please visit my steam page and vote for my Invoker Load screen 
You can also watch my Video on it's creation and if you look hard enough you will see my name in the Start window
You can also watch my Video on it's creation and if you look hard enough you will see my name in the Start window
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
Come on guys ... let's stop with this. We are all adults here, no need to keep picking on!

-
FXDude
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59
Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
I doubt Plummet was really wondering about Luc-Eric's "title", both have been around here for a pretty long time,
Otherwise, unless there was any free bitching, should it matter who is who?
But complaints about say... the only utility truck maker in the land suddenly almost doubling prices after absorbing/eliminating any other option...
(and/or defense or support of such measures)
I would hardly qualify as "flaming".
Also, I worked under the same company as Luc-Eric at Soft years ago (under Microsoft), I don't know what was his views then,
(though I happen to know they were quite different not long before AD)
but on my part, I personally quite openly really did not approve of many of my employers actions or philosophy.
PS: I also know Luc-Éric means well and is by no means a "bad person", while readily helping anyone however he can on whatever platform he's familiar with.
Otherwise, unless there was any free bitching, should it matter who is who?
But complaints about say... the only utility truck maker in the land suddenly almost doubling prices after absorbing/eliminating any other option...
(and/or defense or support of such measures)
I would hardly qualify as "flaming".
Also, I worked under the same company as Luc-Eric at Soft years ago (under Microsoft), I don't know what was his views then,
(though I happen to know they were quite different not long before AD)
but on my part, I personally quite openly really did not approve of many of my employers actions or philosophy.
PS: I also know Luc-Éric means well and is by no means a "bad person", while readily helping anyone however he can on whatever platform he's familiar with.
-
pluMmet
- Posts: 217
- Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 17:37
- Skype: bigcuberight
Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
I'm sure you are right 
I'm a mod on a financial forum myself and I have learned that the more authority you have the less you should say.
You would never see George Lucas telling someone that their art sucks... I'm sure he thinks it from time to time but it would just be crushing for him to do so.
I just wanted to vent on how f'd up AD is and I get rain on my parade lol
It's like when you are with your friends having a good time and your parent walks into the room... the fun buzz goes right out the door.
You gotta know when to just let the kids be
I'm a mod on a financial forum myself and I have learned that the more authority you have the less you should say.
You would never see George Lucas telling someone that their art sucks... I'm sure he thinks it from time to time but it would just be crushing for him to do so.
I just wanted to vent on how f'd up AD is and I get rain on my parade lol
It's like when you are with your friends having a good time and your parent walks into the room... the fun buzz goes right out the door.
You gotta know when to just let the kids be
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
This thread just keeps on giving... 
Mistakes were made by all parties, let us leave it at that.
Let us now please refocus on the initial topic of this thread
(and this is a friendly formulated "plea" by your "loving" Administrator)
and maybe answer the questions luchifer asked amidst the rest of all this mayhem....

Mistakes were made by all parties, let us leave it at that.
Let us now please refocus on the initial topic of this thread
(and this is a friendly formulated "plea" by your "loving" Administrator)
and maybe answer the questions luchifer asked amidst the rest of all this mayhem....
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
luchifer wrote:hi, getting on-topic, my name is Luis Riera from America Television (broadcast media) in Peru. I have a Q about the subscription:
Should we buy Autodesk through retailer (wich I dont know if they will exist anymore) or is web-only?, because if its the latter I dont see how do we get a receipt (the sales department is old fashioned and only works with physical receipts).
I ask because once I wanted a subscprition with digital tutors, but the sales department denied the request because they only give email confirmation of the purchase, so I have to pay it by myself ($400 a year).
edit:
Also a second Q:
We are behind a firewall, so usually I donwload the Updates 1 and 2 at my house, and then install manually here at work. But, if it seems to be like Adobe CC, I dont see how I will get updates behind firewall, I read in the area forum there will be more updates than before to the Autodesk Suite, can those updates be downloaded as usual?
The choice of how you buy is up to you. You can currently buy desktop subscription direct from Autodesk's own e-store, or from an authorised reseller. Some resellers do have their own e-stores, so you don't always have to deal with a person, if preferred. I would need to double check, but I believe that you can get a quarterly and annual desktop subscription through a reseller, but not monthly.
I don't really have a complete answer for the second question, but with the Autodesk Application Manager being installed (currently windows only) with 2015 products, this is how updates could be one way updates are highlighted to customers and downloaded. Updates are not forced though, you receive notification and you can choose whether to download and install them (like Adobe). In some instances, you can even roll back.
If running the Application Manager is a problem, it can be managed from a network admin point of view and even uninstalled. If you do that, you can then still currently go to your Autodesk account and download any updates that you would be entitled too. I can't give a firm answer as to what changes to this might occur going forwards, but I would think that in some circumstances, you should be able to download certain updates from your Autodesk Account just as you can do so now.
-
FXDude
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59
Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
I'd hardly think he meant "buying" desktop... "subscription"
as opposed to getting his hand on the last available classic sub plan which would be honored supposedly a while longer.
Hwho in their right mind would choose to pay considerably more for a self-destructing temporary license unless knowing it wouldn't be needed after a year, which would be pretty rare as a situation.
(or unless being obliged to do so of course... soon)
as opposed to getting his hand on the last available classic sub plan which would be honored supposedly a while longer.
Hwho in their right mind would choose to pay considerably more for a self-destructing temporary license unless knowing it wouldn't be needed after a year, which would be pretty rare as a situation.
(or unless being obliged to do so of course... soon)
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
I thought desktop subscription seemed more relevent, however my answer is the same for maintenance subscription. You can choose to buy through an authorised reseller, or from the Autodesk site direct.
-
DanielGTG
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 04 Mar 2013, 16:52
- Location: Montreal
Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
Hey everyone,
I can chime in here to help clarify the second question.
(Graham already answered the first question about 'desktop subscription' already so i don't believe any further clarification is needed there... if yes, please ask away)
The Application Manager is desktop delivery systems for Windows applications at Autodesk. We still acknowledge and accept that customers have IT security constraints so online download of updates (e.g Service packs, patches) and new releases (e.g Extensions, major releases) will still be an option; several customer uninstall the application manager all together. Likewise, Maya has to support Mac and Linux environments where we currently don't support the Application Manager system.
It's important to note that when you purchase your desktop subscription for either monthly, quarterly, or yearly the software still has to 'phone home' to check on the license status. If you have a firewall setup blocking all in/out traffic from your workstation you'll need to open up the firewall to allow the license 'heart beat' to pass. This is done every 14 days from the software activation period with the current releases.
(And yes i said purchase since it is a transaction like your subscription to your internet service provider
I can chime in here to help clarify the second question.
(Graham already answered the first question about 'desktop subscription' already so i don't believe any further clarification is needed there... if yes, please ask away)
The Application Manager is desktop delivery systems for Windows applications at Autodesk. We still acknowledge and accept that customers have IT security constraints so online download of updates (e.g Service packs, patches) and new releases (e.g Extensions, major releases) will still be an option; several customer uninstall the application manager all together. Likewise, Maya has to support Mac and Linux environments where we currently don't support the Application Manager system.
It's important to note that when you purchase your desktop subscription for either monthly, quarterly, or yearly the software still has to 'phone home' to check on the license status. If you have a firewall setup blocking all in/out traffic from your workstation you'll need to open up the firewall to allow the license 'heart beat' to pass. This is done every 14 days from the software activation period with the current releases.
(And yes i said purchase since it is a transaction like your subscription to your internet service provider
Daniel Tutino-Galletti
Maya Product Manager
Maya Product Manager
-
DanielGTG
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 04 Mar 2013, 16:52
- Location: Montreal
Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016
Looks like i still haven't changed my signature...