The Maya Thread.....

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

The Maya Thread.....

Post by Shredder565 » 16 Jun 2025, 15:23

So, I've pretty much gotten used to all the basics of maya and can get things done almost as fast as I could have in XSI.

I don't like some things, however.
Color Selection and EmDL organization is MUCH better in Softimage.

I can't figure out how to get Colors and Sets to appear by themselves in the explorer.
'Sometimes the REnderer will crash far more often than Softimage ever did.

I can't seem to render to MP4 Files.

For every 10 advantages maya has that makes things easier (like a Symetry model that actually works), I miss 15 things from Softimage that makes it easier to model.

anyone else feel the same way?
Image

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: The Maya Thread.....

Post by Hirazi Blue » 16 Jun 2025, 17:46

I can't say I've used Maya for long enough to truly review it that way. I seriously intended to move to Maya after the EOL but life got in the way ("sh*t happened"), but the short while I actually used it, it showed me a program with very good tools, but lacking a "soul".
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

opoppopopp
Posts: 213
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 04:23

Re: The Maya Thread.....

Post by opoppopopp » 17 Jun 2025, 19:15

pretty good tools, after tools...
My problem is I so used to think in the way of: how to get the job done, with already known/limited function/tools

User avatar
Grims
Posts: 60
Joined: 18 Dec 2012, 14:57
Location: Portugal

Re: The Maya Thread.....

Post by Grims » 18 Jun 2025, 11:37

After the EOL of Softimage, I started to use more Modo and Maya. For me it was not only about the things that XSI did better, is also about the work and feel of the tools, specially on the modeling part. I feel that the touch, sensibility and interaction was always better on XSI.
The Future is Gloomy!