Hi,
I'm trying to do some hardsurface modeling and would like to be able to snap polygons to other polygons - like this plugin. Problem is, the plugin doesn't seem to work (I'm in 2014 SP1).
Is this possible in some other way, in SI 2014?
thanks, Jasper
Snap to Plane
-
druitre
- Posts: 471
- Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35
Re: Snap to Plane
Yep, but that doesn't do what snap to plane does. (the examples on the page I referenced)
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Snap to Plane
That plugin did work for me (was on 2014 sp1 too)
Shows some updates to the snapping tools would be nice.
Moving a point along a custom axis with 'snap to surface' on should move the point so it snaps to the surface, not what we have which is something like "height measured along the axis where the mouse pointer would intersect the surface"
(which is only useful for snapping to points imo)
Shows some updates to the snapping tools would be nice.
Moving a point along a custom axis with 'snap to surface' on should move the point so it snaps to the surface, not what we have which is something like "height measured along the axis where the mouse pointer would intersect the surface"
(which is only useful for snapping to points imo)
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
druitre
- Posts: 471
- Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35
Re: Snap to Plane
Thanks Rray, I Agree. The options within snapping are not enough, I'm only getting what I want in some (a few) cases.
How do you get the plugin to work? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Initially, I didn't even see the command listed when trying to make a button for it (restarted several times and all) but somehow that's working now. So I've created a button by dragging the command onto a toolbar. But if I try to use it (after I select two objects, enter polyselect mode and select 1 poly, then enter vertselectmode and select 4 verts) by clicking on my button, nothing happens. The script editor shows only this:
When running the command 'Application.jjSnapToPlane(0)' from the editor I get this:
So, obviously I'm not doing this the way I should. Any ideas?
-Jasper
How do you get the plugin to work? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Initially, I didn't even see the command listed when trying to make a button for it (restarted several times and all) but somehow that's working now. So I've created a button by dragging the command onto a toolbar. But if I try to use it (after I select two objects, enter polyselect mode and select 1 poly, then enter vertselectmode and select 4 verts) by clicking on my button, nothing happens. The script editor shows only this:
Code: Select all
Application.jjSnapToPlane()Code: Select all
# ERROR : Traceback (most recent call last):
# File "<Script Block >", line 1, in <module>
# Application.jjSnapToPlane(0)
# File "<COMObject Application>", line 2, in jjSnapToPlane
# COM Error: Invalid number of parameters. (0x-7ffdfff2) - [line 1]
-Jasper
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Snap to Plane
i just copied it into myworkgroup/plugins and then ran the jj_Snap..(1) command in the command line
could it be the missing underscore?
could it be the missing underscore?
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
druitre
- Posts: 471
- Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35
Re: Snap to Plane
Hi Rray, I started over, this time putting the script in myworkgroup/application/plugins instead of myworkgroup/data/scripts (or should I make a folder myworkgroup/plugins?) and it shows up in plugin manager (after refreshing all). But entering the command 'jj_SnapToPlane(0)' in the script editor gets me this:
And ' jjSnapToPlane(0)' this:
Opening the .py in the script editor and then running it does nothing... as you can probably see, I don't know what I'm doing and I'm just guessing. I have no idea what to do with a plugin like this if it's not simply working. Can you give me a step-by-step, from where to put the .py to what to select in SI to how to run what command?
Code: Select all
# ERROR : Traceback (most recent call last):
# File "<Script Block >", line 1, in <module>
# jj_SnapToPlane(0)
# NameError: name 'jj_SnapToPlane' is not defined
# - [line 1]
Code: Select all
# ERROR : Traceback (most recent call last):
# File "<Script Block >", line 1, in <module>
# jjSnapToPlane(0)
# NameError: name 'jjSnapToPlane' is not defined
# - [line 1]-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Snap to Plane
Installation worked fine if it's in the plugin manager.
Problem might be that I had Jscript in my quotes, in python you should use
Application.jj_SnapToPlane(0)
Works fine here with Python too, without the 'Application' I get similiar errors as you.
Problem might be that I had Jscript in my quotes, in python you should use
Application.jj_SnapToPlane(0)
Works fine here with Python too, without the 'Application' I get similiar errors as you.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
druitre
- Posts: 471
- Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35
Re: Snap to Plane
Hello rray, let me get back on this when i have time to check, sometime friday i hope. Thanks so far for the help.
-
druitre
- Posts: 471
- Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35
Re: Snap to Plane
OK! I added Application. and now it works - made a button for all three functions.
Thanks,
Jasper
Thanks,
Jasper
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Snap to Plane
That is a very cool function, something I've been looking for a long time. This is something that really should be part of the stock toolset.
I'll have to give that a try! Thanks for posting.
I'll have to give that a try! Thanks for posting.