How to apply motion blur to particle volume effects in post?

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

How to apply motion blur to particle volume effects in post?

Post by ActionArt » 11 Apr 2011, 17:31

I admit I'm not the best compositor and sometimes the various buffers/options etc. tend get me confused :-s

Does anyone know how to take and ICE particle simulation using the particle volume shader (a smoke effect) and output the right frame buffers and apply motion blur in post? There doesn't seem to be much documentation on it.

Can it be done in the FX tree or Toxic (the one the comes with SI)? I don't see a motion blur node in either. I don't have Nuke or anything like that.

Thanks for any help!

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1122
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: How to apply motion blur to particle volume effects in post?

Post by Maximus » 11 Apr 2011, 19:10

i dont think you can do that in a simply way, personally when i've tried nothing worked at all, i have no idea how to achieve that, especially using the particle volume shader, motion vector from mental ray doesnt read them, maybe wait for some more experienced user, but everything i've tried failed bad.

good luck

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: How to apply motion blur to particle volume effects in post?

Post by ActionArt » 12 Apr 2011, 12:53

Dang. I guess it's no wonder I'm confused as nothing actually works it seems. I didn't think it was going to be this hard.

It was suggested on the list that Realsmart motion blur was the answer. I didn't want to buy something just for that but I guess I'll have to check it out.

Anyone? Ideas? :-s

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1122
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: How to apply motion blur to particle volume effects in post?

Post by Maximus » 12 Apr 2011, 12:58

you can download it for free and it works with a red cross watermark but at least you can see if its worth and its workflow.

http://www.revisionfx.com/products/rsmb ... timage_xsi

anyway there probably should be a way to do this with softimage, too bad i dont know it :)

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: How to apply motion blur to particle volume effects in post?

Post by Rez007 » 12 Apr 2011, 13:08

I don't know if this will help your needs, but Eric Mootz released emRPC4 that has MB in there...

http://vimeo.com/21874936

(around the 10min mark)

I use the FX Tree a lot, I guess it depends on the directions of your particles and the simplicity of the effect you are looking for, also the quality of the end result. I haven't tried this with particles, but if you have more of a linear motion you might be able to get by with animating one of the post blur effects and combining that with the original footage on top (over or math node should work) - again, not a great suggestion on my end, but if you only need something quick, and can pass for the quality you are looking for, that might be an option.

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: How to apply motion blur to particle volume effects in post?

Post by ActionArt » 12 Apr 2011, 14:21

Unfortunately, it's a fairly complex 3D motion effect I'm looking for which is hard to do that way. I should mention too that it's a still image so anything that might work in Photoshop would be fine too. As a last resort I'll have to do it manually but it's difficult as each particle is moving a slightly different direction.