Viewport Lag

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Viewport Lag

Post by Nizar » 11 Nov 2010, 11:04

Hi,
ok, I'm too strange issue with softimage :)
Last is a strange viewport lag: the viewport is rally Jerky in any movement (pan, rotate or traslate, all camera movement is jerky). Rally strange. I don't think is a PC issue (my machine has 16gb ram, and it is jerky with a viewport full or empty in a same way). So I think it a setting or similar. Any suggestion?

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Viewport Lag

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Nov 2010, 11:18

Is this something that hasn't happened before ever since you last installed
or did you have this problem ever since you last installed your current version?
And, BTW, what is your version of Softimage?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Viewport Lag

Post by Nizar » 11 Nov 2010, 11:24

Hi Hirazi,
no, it worked correctly when I installed. My version is 2011.5

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Viewport Lag

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Nov 2010, 11:34

Things you could try (that shouldn't be harmful) before someone
who's more knowledgeable comes along (hi, xsisupport :-h )
are described on this WIKI page

Did you change display drivers recently?
If yes, maybe you could roll back to an earlier version.
If no, maybe you could install a current driver...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Viewport Lag

Post by Nizar » 11 Nov 2010, 11:53

Thanks Hirazi :)
I found a new driver for my VGA (Nvidia GTX 460 1gb, someone tell me Nvidia are better compatibility with SI, right?). I try to install this one

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Viewport Lag

Post by xsisupport » 11 Nov 2010, 14:37

The GTX 295 was tested with Softimage on Windows 7, with driver 197.45.

I would suspect the graphic card or display driver is the problem.
So, you may want to try some different driver versions. Even older ones.

What input devices do you use? Mouse? Tablet? If both, do they both have the same problem when you move the camera?

If you auto key some camera moves, how's the playback?


If you really think it is a setting in Softimage, try resetting everything back to the factory defaults:

Run runonce.bat to re-register the Softimage DLLs.
http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS13783212

Try resetting the User preferences:
http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS14104789
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Viewport Lag

Post by Nizar » 11 Nov 2010, 16:24

Hi,
hey XSIsupport, I don't know if it is your work or not, but thanks very much for your helping, you and Hirazi are a "plus valor" to XSI :)

I have update my videocard drivers, but nothing cage. I have three input device: mouse, tablet and space pilot. All had the some problem.

I tried all XSIsupport suggestions, but don't work correctly. So I contact Spacepilot support, and I think he is the problem (customers service suggest trying the 3d mouse application (collage puzzle viewer) and with the last one the nvidia driver stop working. Now I will try completely uninstal spacepilot, and try again softimage (if it is the wrong side of my software I will depressed... I'm now addicted to this piece of hardware...

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Viewport Lag

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Nov 2010, 16:28

Pssst: xsisupport AKA Stephen Blair AKA team lead for the Softimage support team. :-$ ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Viewport Lag

Post by Nizar » 11 Nov 2010, 17:02

Wow! 8-x we had a celebrity in our community! :)

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Viewport Lag

Post by Nizar » 11 Nov 2010, 18:25

Hi again, I see another little thing. If use standard S key for navigation (and not the space pilot), and try to rotate, camera don't move, but move the object. Can I have my object ever in centre of my camera/viewport?

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Viewport Lag

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Nov 2010, 18:49

To center without zooming & dollying (as "framing" does, see below):
ALT + C or "Center Selection" from the view’s camera icon menu.
ALT+Shift+C does the same for all 3D Views

Press "F" while the mouse points over the viewport
or choose "Frame Selection" from the camera icon menu.
This "frames" the selected object(s) in the active viewport
Use "Shift-F" or "View > Frame Selection (All 3D Views)"
from the main menu to "frame" the selected object(s) in all 3D Views.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Viewport Lag

Post by Nizar » 11 Nov 2010, 19:18

As usually thanks for your support. I just know this commands, but can I make a "perpetual" object centre in my viewport?

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Viewport Lag

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Nov 2010, 20:08

I must admit, I haven't really thought this through... :ymblushing:
And now that I've thought it through some more, I've removed my original suggestion! ;;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Viewport Lag

Post by Nizar » 12 Nov 2010, 17:59

:D don't worry, thanks ;)

craft
Posts: 107
Joined: 02 Jan 2010, 23:40
Location: Portugal

Re: Viewport Lag

Post by craft » 13 Nov 2010, 00:42

you can lock an object to the camera by constraining it to the camera object. it will even work with the default viewport cameras (viewA.userCam, viewB.top etc, etc, etc).
Better yet, constrain a null to the cam, hide it and parent the object you want to follow the camera to the null. this way you can still move the object around freely.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Viewport Lag

Post by Nizar » 21 Nov 2010, 15:20

Hi, tanks craft, USER view it work better for me (space pilot switch automatically to camera view).

I now uninstall Space pilot, uninstall and install again softimage, but viewport is rally slow, and lag if I charge (and select) many polygons. The some scene, on Modo, work fast and rally smooth, in SI lag... SI have the gygapolygon technology right? Must move many and many more polygons then modo.
On my previous machine (a m6400 Dell, a dual core, 6 gb and a quadro fx2700 512mb mobile) it worked rally smooth and I can charged heavy subdivided mesh directly from zbrush. So, the issue is my video card? Now, as I wrote, have a GTX460 1gb