Some news from Siggraph
-
Eugen
- Posts: 331
- Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:40
- Location: Vienna/Austria
Re: Some news from Siggraph
That's pretty much it, yes. Understandable, but some offended ego is also involved.
Funny, also, how rarely XSI gets mentioned in the original thread, and the few who do disregard it simply because it's in ADSKs hands, either.
Funny, also, how rarely XSI gets mentioned in the original thread, and the few who do disregard it simply because it's in ADSKs hands, either.
-
ojo3D
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
- Location: SP / Brazil
Re: Some news from Siggraph
I guess one of the main problems lies in the way AD operates. As a big company, there are people there that shouldn't be working there. So he talks about problems with the development team to point out that it's not all the suits fault.
Well, it is if they hire bad people for the development team.
In any case what's cool about all this complaining is that you get a sense, coming from Max users, that Softimage is the best app of AD, but because it is from AD, it's not going to have a nice future.
I was just reading the post from fxguide.com about the acquisition of Softimage buy AD back in 2008. I guess we all knew, but if only we knew ... and think that for $ 35m they bought it. It's not so much money I think, in the big picture, but is sad.
Well, it is if they hire bad people for the development team.
In any case what's cool about all this complaining is that you get a sense, coming from Max users, that Softimage is the best app of AD, but because it is from AD, it's not going to have a nice future.
I was just reading the post from fxguide.com about the acquisition of Softimage buy AD back in 2008. I guess we all knew, but if only we knew ... and think that for $ 35m they bought it. It's not so much money I think, in the big picture, but is sad.
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Some news from Siggraph
Looks like standard retired veteran's story. Not so happy veteran One brave man against the entire corporation. Everything is bad because AD didn't listened him. "I for one am really interested in where Houdini is taking their latest development because it is along the lines of what I proposed at Autodesk a decade or so ago' imho, sounds ridiculous, when it comes to Max.SamHowell wrote:I tried, I failed.
Can anyone, even slightly, summarise what that was about? Other than Autodesk is bad?
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Some news from Siggraph
The other main point is this:
The winrar issue is funny...
I think ADSK simply will ignoring.I don't believe the future of MAX is going to see any huge improvements. I applaud what Tom is trying to do and wish him luck and will back the effort all the way, for good old time sake. But between managing expectations and what can and can't be done with 10+ years of rot and deterioration it won't be easy to deal with that and I can think of 3 billion other things that are more fun to do. The positive thing I can see come out of all this is that Autodesk is being forced to send a signal to their paying customers. And that signal is going to be very interesting and may in fact impact the future of MAX even more than whatever Autodesk might have decided for it. Think about it… the signal (or total lack thereof) is perhaps the most clear communication the users have gotten out of Autodesk in recent history. And *that* would be a major accomplishment that will help MAX users decide *their* future vs. trying to link theirs to the future of a software product.
The winrar issue is funny...
Ridiculous if you look at max today and its actual development, but the proposal was 10 years ago, and with ten years of development is not possible develop something like houdini (or a sort of) inside a software? ICE need about seven years if I'm not wrong.Mathaeus wrote:Looks like standard retired veteran's story. Not so happy veteran One brave man against the entire corporation. Everything is bad because AD didn't listened him. "I for one am really interested in where Houdini is taking their latest development because it is along the lines of what I proposed at Autodesk a decade or so ago' imho, sounds ridiculous, when it comes to Max.SamHowell wrote:I tried, I failed.
Can anyone, even slightly, summarise what that was about? Other than Autodesk is bad?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Some news from Siggraph
Over at CGTalk cresshead makes a valid point IMHO in this post of the same thread
;)
If Autodesk wants us all on "on Maya" they should give us some realistic financial incentive, not the current (last time I checked) sidegrade prices. Luckily it won't come to that soon, as Softimage is still being actively developed (or so I hear).If Autodesk offered a migration option for 3ds Max subscription users to swap over from max to maya at no cost in 2014..i'd defo consider that looking at where autodesk are going.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Ahmidou
- Posts: 106
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 13:00
Re: Some news from Siggraph
I may be wrong but I eard that it was more like two yearsNizar wrote:The other main point is this:
Ridiculous if you look at max today and its actual development, but the proposal was 10 years ago, and with ten years of development is not possible develop something like houdini (or a sort of) inside a software? ICE need about seven years if I'm not wrong.
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Some news from Siggraph
App like Houdini could be attractive for developers, because they don't need to bother with all that 'small' stuff, like text tool, various modeling tools, animation plotting, whatever else - simply because development of such things is left to user.Nizar wrote:Ridiculous if you look at max today and its actual development, but the proposal was 10 years ago, and with ten years of development is not possible develop something like houdini (or a sort of) inside a software? ICE need about seven years if I'm not wrong.Mathaeus wrote: Looks like standard retired veteran's story. Not so happy veteran One brave man against the entire corporation. Everything is bad because AD didn't listened him. "I for one am really interested in where Houdini is taking their latest development because it is along the lines of what I proposed at Autodesk a decade or so ago' imho, sounds ridiculous, when it comes to Max.
But this is Max, which from very beginning has a standard of pleasing the users laziness to maximum, very high protection against user errors as well. And he was a part of this , if I'm correct. What on the earth, usual Max user will be able to do with Houdini...
Imho, even Houdini is often mentioned in forums like Max underground, it's only as impossible target, like 'if my parents were different, my life will be better'. No one serious Houdini user will come from that.
-
ojo3D
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
- Location: SP / Brazil
Re: Some news from Siggraph
I do hope that. I just wish I could find some new tutorials on FX for Softimage. I guess now only cmiVFX has newer ones.Hirazi Blue wrote:Luckily it won't come to that soon, as Softimage is still being actively developed (or so I hear).
;)
From what you can get, Max users are probably looking more to MODO, as it works more like Max than Houdini.Mathaeus wrote:Imho, even Houdini is often mentioned in forums like Max underground, it's only as impossible target, like 'if my parents were different, my life will be better'. No one serious Houdini user will come from that.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Some news from Siggraph
now understood your point and agree.Mathaeus wrote:
App like Houdini could be attractive for developers, because they don't need to bother with all that 'small' stuff, like text tool, various modeling tools, animation plotting, whatever else - simply because development of such things is left to user.
But this is Max, which from very beginning has a standard of pleasing the users laziness to maximum, very high protection against user errors as well. And he was a part of this , if I'm correct. What on the earth, usual Max user will be able to do with Houdini...
Imho, even Houdini is often mentioned in forums like Max underground, it's only as impossible target, like 'if my parents were different, my life will be better'. No one serious Houdini user will come from that.
Yes, softiamge practical disappears from every place (forum, magazine, tutorials releases etc.), only DT every four months release a single tutorial where is involved softimage. What appear very strange to me is the lack of coverage inside magazines, all magazines: 3dartists, 3dworld, 3dcreative even the free one CGarena magazine.ojo3D wrote:I do hope that. I just wish I could find some new tutorials on FX for Softimage. I guess now only cmiVFX has newer ones.Hirazi Blue wrote:Luckily it won't come to that soon, as Softimage is still being actively developed (or so I hear).
;)
From what you can get, Max users are probably looking more to MODO, as it works more like Max than Houdini.Mathaeus wrote:Imho, even Houdini is often mentioned in forums like Max underground, it's only as impossible target, like 'if my parents were different, my life will be better'. No one serious Houdini user will come from that.
Yes, modo is very maxish oriented, but lack history stack and has too many workflow and issue legacy from LW. Release 701 is more smooth in workflow side (and so less LW oriented IMHO), they add some nice idea here and there (improving interface and navigation, but is far from softimage great workflow) but I think the foundry hand will be more visible and strong from release 801
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Some news from Siggraph
@ojo3D - The smiley used might have been slightly deceptive...
@all - Tutorial makers will have looked at Softimage 2014 to find nothing worth tutoring about.
The Digital Tutors SI2014 Bugfix series?

@all - Tutorial makers will have looked at Softimage 2014 to find nothing worth tutoring about.
The Digital Tutors SI2014 Bugfix series?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Some news from Siggraph
Hirazi Blue wrote:@ojo3D - The smiley used might have been slightly deceptive...![]()
@all - Tutorial makers will have looked at Softimage 2014 to find nothing worth tutoring about.
The Digital Tutors SI2014 Bugfix series?
-
ojo3D
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 13:17
- Location: SP / Brazil
Re: Some news from Siggraph
Hirazi Blue wrote:@ojo3D - The smiley used might have been slightly deceptive...![]()
@all - Tutorial makers will have looked at Softimage 2014 to find nothing worth tutoring about.
The Digital Tutors SI2014 Bugfix series?
That's a good one Hirazi. I'm doing the DT Softimage Intro 2012 and it's good. I just wanted to find something more like VFXLearning.com, you know, more FX centric.
In other related subjects, witch would be a better sidekick to Softimage? C4D or MODO? These two are the most used in ad agencies here and I need to learn that also, because we all need to work.
-
SamHowell
- Posts: 364
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
- Location: Birmingham
Re: Some news from Siggraph
Oh, I see. It's hard for anything that length not to seem like a rant. A lot of pent up frustration there, I hope he feels some relief now.Mathaeus wrote:Looks like standard retired veteran's story. Not so happy veteran One brave man against the entire corporation. Everything is bad because AD didn't listened him. "I for one am really interested in where Houdini is taking their latest development because it is along the lines of what I proposed at Autodesk a decade or so ago' imho, sounds ridiculous, when it comes to Max.
I can't speak for Modo but I've had a reasonably happy experience using both Alembic and FBX to go between Si and C4D.ojo3D wrote:In other related subjects, witch would be a better sidekick to Softimage? C4D or MODO? These two are the most used in ad agencies here and I need to learn that also, because we all need to work.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Some news from Siggraph
I am partial to Cinema 4D as well (worked with it long ago), as ATM you are not only looking for a side-kick
(and one that is being used almost exclusively in the MoGraph world if you want to work there, or so I hear), but you' might want to start looking for a potential replacement to Softimage (see what I did there?) and IMHO Modo isn't just there yet, while Cinema 4D has some potentially fatal flaws (it is, for instance, not Softimage), but it is a well-rounded package already (and if they'd still had their modular business model, I might have made the switch already, in all brutal honesty).

Now, that's fear mongering!
(and one that is being used almost exclusively in the MoGraph world if you want to work there, or so I hear), but you' might want to start looking for a potential replacement to Softimage (see what I did there?) and IMHO Modo isn't just there yet, while Cinema 4D has some potentially fatal flaws (it is, for instance, not Softimage), but it is a well-rounded package already (and if they'd still had their modular business model, I might have made the switch already, in all brutal honesty).
Now, that's fear mongering!
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
-
gustavoeb
- Moderator
- Posts: 587
- Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
- Skype: gustavoboehs
Re: Some news from Siggraph
bite the bullet then? cant AD itself just come out in the light and say it like man? just kill it once and for all. freeking shenanigans
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/