SI 2013 sightings

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Apr 2012, 07:53

Softimage 2013 has officially been released for Subscription Customers.
After retweeting this message, Luc-Eric Rousseau had a little "bombshell" of his own:
I've handed Softimage dev management to a colleague to take a new opportunity on the Maya team, closer to film vfx.
(Quoted from here)
:(
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Rork » 12 Apr 2012, 08:12

Don't read to much in that...

People were upset when Halfdan left the team to pursue other interests. Softimage didn't collapsed after that....
And isn't this normal? People come and people go within businesses, nothing 'conspiracy' going on there.

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
mixepix
Posts: 78
Joined: 09 Aug 2010, 13:17
Location: Sweden

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by mixepix » 12 Apr 2012, 08:56

Maybe he got tired of all the wining. ;)
----------------------------------------
http://vimeo.com/mikaelpettersen

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Apr 2012, 09:30

Rork wrote:Don't read to much in that...
Personally, I do not read too much into it, but it most definitely is "News".
It would be interesting to hear who replaced/will replace him though... ;)

edit: BTW I didn't claim to see any conspiracy. I relayed the info, called it a "bombshell",
a qualification it somehow seemed to deserve, and added a "sad" smilie.
That doesn't constitute starting a conspiracy theory or fear mongering or such in my book...


edit2: and I forgot to add, I personally and sincerely wish him well with his new adventure...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
ace63
Posts: 176
Joined: 07 Jun 2009, 10:30

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by ace63 » 12 Apr 2012, 10:44

Meh - to me this sounds just like another one leaving the sinking ship

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Memag » 12 Apr 2012, 10:48

Maybe it's just better ship and crew.

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by SreckoM » 12 Apr 2012, 14:35

mixepix wrote:Maybe he got tired of all the wining. ;)
It will not be much different there except much more people winning :D

Good luck there.
- H -

IslandDreamer
Posts: 58
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 17:57

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by IslandDreamer » 12 Apr 2012, 15:00

I installed SI 2013 this morning and I'm loving it so far. The HQV is much more responsive than I'd expected on my puny 768MB Nvidia GTX 460.

Chris_TC
Posts: 411
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Chris_TC » 12 Apr 2012, 15:11

Memag wrote:Maybe it's just better ship and crew.
It may be a better crew, but it sure as heck is not a better ship.

Fer
Posts: 52
Joined: 03 May 2011, 12:38

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Fer » 12 Apr 2012, 16:18

No, nothing to worry about, Luc-eric is just helping the maya team "transplanting" an interactive Creative Environment for the next maya release :)

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by ActionArt » 12 Apr 2012, 19:00

Seems like almost all of the original SI team is gone. Looks like most of them are working on Fabric Engine or Houdini and now Luc-Eric is gone. That's really sad. Could be the end of an era for SI. When this happened to LW they were dead in the water.

I just hope they've managed to find equal replacements for so many that left but it seems highly unlikely.

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by McNistor » 12 Apr 2012, 20:02

Like others have said, Softimage could just as well be left dead in the water right now and in 5 years would still give a run for their money to most 3d apps out there.
I wouldn't worry much about good people leaving SI team, they left something behind anyway and I'm sure other good people will come.

edit_1: Well I'm not so sure that good people will come if I think more about it, but I really hope so.
edit_2: I'm surprised that no one mentioned the most probable reason for which luceric left there... Not that it's a bad thing or anything.
Anyway, he might be just around the corner ready to jump here and tell us himself. Or should we haunt him on the maya forums now? :ymdevil:
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Apr 2012, 20:30

McNistor wrote:edit_1: Well I'm not so sure that good people will come if I think more about it, but I really hope so.
Well, there might be a new Autodesk policy: you have to work several years for the Softimage team
before you're allowed to join the Maya development team...
:D
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

jamination
Posts: 174
Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 19:58

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by jamination » 12 Apr 2012, 20:52

more than likely Maya is the preferred product to work on of the 3, he did mention there was a lot of R&D money being invested in Maya. Also, working in the Maya deptartment probably gets you more employment security.
Last edited by jamination on 12 Apr 2012, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

Fer
Posts: 52
Joined: 03 May 2011, 12:38

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by Fer » 12 Apr 2012, 22:16


luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: SI 2013 sightings

Post by luceric » 12 Apr 2012, 23:14

ActionArt wrote:Seems like almost all of the original SI team is gone. Looks like most of them are working on Fabric Engine or Houdini and now Luc-Eric is gone. That's really sad. Could be the end of an era for SI. When this happened to LW they were dead in the water.

I just hope they've managed to find equal replacements for so many that left but it seems highly unlikely.
A few loud mouths of the softimage dev team have moved to other things. However, that's a small part of the development team. One thing I find hillarious is how the community knows and talk about Jenifer, the Avid marketing girl, when she has had in fact nothing to do with making the product and knows little of 3D. The lesson is that the people you hear about in the community are not necessarily the people who do the most important things and make the product you love.

Over the years there might have been more than 300 people who can loosely say to have "worked for Softimage" at one point or another, in various positions. So it's not surprising that there are softimage people ending up everywhere, including Pixar, ILM, Max, Maya, Fabric. (Btw, except for one dev, everyone at Fabric only started to work on XSI in 2006, and left around the ADSK acquision. We started to work on XSI in 1997 and shipped v1 in 2000.)

We've been hiring and training a whole new set of developers for Softimage these last two years to replace the ranks. It brings new blood and new ideas. They will no doubt reconsider things us old ones have stopped considering. New people is a good thing, for example our main ICE guy had been hired only 4 years ago. We've always had success with new talents.