ICE Topology and parametric equations

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Dan's parametric equations and Topo PackAuthor: Daniel Brassard
Daniel is continuing his research and exploration of parametric formulas that started with the Parametric Formula plugin (available below) - now on the ICE modeling platform. To follow the development of his endeavour, visit the si-community thread linked below, which also (on page #2) contains the »Parametric Sandbox« compound which is a basis for custom experimentation with parametric formulas.

The Topo Pack consists of 51 configurable figures and helper compounds like »Bohemian Dome«, »Conical Spiral Disk«, »Super Sphere« etc.

local backup: para_sbox_topopack.zip

Here you can find ICE tutorials and learning material
User avatar
Daniel Brassard
Posts: 878
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario

Re: ICE Topology and parametric equations

Post by Daniel Brassard » 03 Apr 2012, 12:26

Hi ActionArt,

Yes, I am still going with it albeit a bit slow right now due to heavy workload at work, tax time and expansion of the studio taking precedence.

What I can do is package the first 50 topos and post in the compound download area. This way it would give the readers who followed the thread so far all the compounds needed to experiment with and then some. Just in time for 2013 launch I guess!

I'll see what i can do tonight.

Dan
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: ICE Topology and parametric equations

Post by Maximus » 03 Apr 2012, 12:54

Hey Daniel, kinda missing your lessons too! :)
Meaningwhile i found myself reading about an amazing work from a poland artist from time ago, you probably saw it, i was wondering how hard would be to produce in ICE this kind of models based on fibonacci sequence and phyllotaxis.
Here is the link with the "making of" if you want to take a look

http://ptakun.tmdag.com/eco_system/make ... en_htm.htm

in particular i'm interested in this kind of images

Image
Image

I was thinkin some modulo could have its uses here, but i'm not that expert, so i would love to hear your opinion on how to achieve such modeling!
Looking further for your compounds and thanks again for the amazing work you've done and shared with the community.

Max

User avatar
Daniel Brassard
Posts: 878
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario

Re: ICE Topology and parametric equations

Post by Daniel Brassard » 03 Apr 2012, 13:39

Hi Maximus,

Interesting experiment. Definitively possible using Chris_TC work on L System, Mossman "Emit from Polygon", Chris Marshall ICE Tree system and Milan Vasek "Scatter Tool" compounds.

I do have a Fibonacci compound but it max out at 10 iterations (I'll have to code that node one day). I also have various little constant nodes, including the golden ratio. I'll post that as well with the 50 topo nodes.

Maybe we could put our heads together in a little community project and try to figure out how to do this experiment in ICE!
Last edited by Daniel Brassard on 03 Apr 2012, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: ICE Topology and parametric equations

Post by ActionArt » 03 Apr 2012, 13:53

Daniel Brassard wrote: Yes, I am still going with it albeit a bit slow right now due to heavy workload at work, tax time and expansion of the studio taking precedence.
I understand that! The same reason for me not participating as much as I wanted to.
What I can do is package the first 50 topos and post in the compound download area. This way it would give the readers who followed the thread so far all the compounds needed to experiment with and then some. Just in time for 2013 launch I guess!
That would be just awesome!!! Thanks again for all this interesting work.

Chris_TC
Posts: 411
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43

Re: ICE Topology and parametric equations

Post by Chris_TC » 03 Apr 2012, 16:07

This is quite impressive. It should be very much doable in ICE, but the author doesn't go into a lot of detail, particularly about how he made the plant shapes.
I'm low on time these days, but if something is being put together I'll try to help.

User avatar
Tekano
Posts: 488
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
Location: London, UK

Re: ICE Topology and parametric equations

Post by Tekano » 03 Apr 2012, 18:27

I image they will be built with some kind of L-System in houdini and the answer would most probably be somewhere in here http://algorithmicbotany.org/ also, isn't treegen an L-system generator? and there has been several other L system variants in XSI before.
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

User avatar
Daniel Brassard
Posts: 878
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario

Re: ICE Topology and parametric equations

Post by Daniel Brassard » 03 Apr 2012, 18:51

I forgot to mention Fabricio Chamon ICETree compound.

http://iceduous.blogspot.ca/
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

User avatar
Daniel Brassard
Posts: 878
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario

Re: ICE Topology and parametric equations

Post by Daniel Brassard » 04 Apr 2012, 01:13

I have uploaded the various compounds. The various compounds (so far) can be downloaded from the ICE Compound area at:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2269

In time for 2013 release,

Cheers!

Dan
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif