Post
by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 15 Feb 2012, 22:36
Honestly, I have only one wish:
Reliabilty.
Yes, I´d be willing to spend a whole years subscription fee for absolutly no new features, as long as all efforts go in stability and fixes. For almost all the things you can´t do in si, there are numerous 3rd party tools out there. I say let others add functions from now on and enhance what is there.
The reason why I say this is that: I own about ten different software licenses of all kind of tasks, 3d, video, compositing and so on. In the 80´s I told my clients to consider about 30% of productions time for rendering. Today I myself am forced to calculate at least 30% of my production time for software problems, crashes, corrupt scenes, bugs and so on. While I could make my clients pay for rendering, I definitely can´t charge them for unreliable software.
This is not a softimage problem, but softimage is more and more part of it.
I never had so much crashes and errors in si since 2012. What exactly is it that can´t be done with si?
You can polymodel anything. You have a decent dynamics and particle system. Next you will have vray (good bye mr and your stupid crashes (hello vray crashes;-)), you have a comfortable passes system, still the quickest out there, there is ICE (nothing beats it, it only needs to be stable too - the cap holes is soooo slow and three of them on one object crash my scene) and have you seen how many ICE tools there are by now (thanks to the contributors)? There are at least two methods for creating hair and strands not to mention all the plugs written by mootzoid and others. Admittedly you will always find something that could be better or isn´t just the way you like it, but take the time and compare si with other tools and youll find a lot missing there some of which you´ve got in si.
If you wanna have iray, why not use max? I upgraded to the entertainment creation suite to use vray in maya recently.
But whatever you work with is completely irellevant if you find at the end of the day that the scene you´ve been working one the whole day refuses to render from one second to the other. Just happend to me. Really no feature ever can help you with that, only clean and proper written and well tested software can prevent that.
I´m doing this for over 20 years now and I have used many different softwares in this time. What I can say from my experience is, that the standards drop. Naturally. More complex software, not proportionally more developers, in relaton less money and the need to satisfy customers feature wishes to sell copies.
I remember a time, when making cg was fun even with horrendous render times and framerates of.5 fps on a fast graphics adapter. It isn´t anymore.
So I think softimage should take the oportunity and bring softimage back to where it was. A tool you could rely on. It may be the only one out there.
Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...