Price change imminent?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
azurecgi
Posts: 171
Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11

Re: Price change imminent?

Post by azurecgi » 22 Sep 2011, 08:24

kiwimation wrote:And if your making money with soft and cant afford $1200 odd a year to maintain your tools then your doing something wrong.
I never said I couldn't afford it, my problem is the way Softimage is marketed and supported!

As the years pass under Autodesks ownership, it is becoming increasingly clear that they have no intention of placing it alongside Max and Maya equally, even though it is superior in many ways.

Softimage still doesn't appear anywhere on Autodesks front page, even in the products drop-down menu, it doesn't have it's own suite where it could be bundled with Mudbox and Motion Builder and it gets very little exposure at trade shows. I could go on, but I think everyone here knows what I mean.

This latest insult where it has now become the most expensive of their 3D packages to maintain, due to no access to a lower level subscription could be the final nail in the coffin.

That's why I'm so upset about this, it's because I have less and less confidence that my investment in Softimage is worth it, when it seems that Autodesk are doing everything possible to kill it off and bundle it as a glorified ICE plug-in for Max or Maya. I also feel that this attitude to their own product filters down to magazines like 3D World and 3D Artist, one which has reduced it's Softimage tutorials and coverage to almost nil and the other, which has never supported Softimage at all!

This lack of exposure creates a self-fullfilling prophecy, Autodesk don't market Softimage, therefore it gets no exposure, which means no interest is created, which Autodesk then uses as justification for not marketing Softimage!

The downward spiral continues ~x(

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Price change imminent?

Post by Nizar » 22 Sep 2011, 21:32

It is very difficult for a customers understand the marketing politics and the real results of this company. I don't know XSI market share (is possible consulting some site?), but I had a totally wrong idea about LW. I was sure Light Wave was close to his dead, but a friend of mine (Lino Grandi, he work in Newtek) tell me LW collected, in the last financial year, the best result ever made, a best seller. Now I had the some perception about XSI, but 2010 result was great (grow up Softimage team), now they increase price, so XSI, evidently, doing a good job, selling well, and requests going up (why increase price for a dead horse? It a nonsense).

User avatar
ThomasHelzle
Posts: 64
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:02
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Price change imminent?

Post by ThomasHelzle » 23 Sep 2011, 16:37

Paulrus wrote:IMHO this is the perfect time for someone (Like SideFX) to swoop in with a "3Democracy" type program and offer cross-grades to everyone who's pissed off.
I'd consider looking at Houdini, but right now it's not reasonably priced compared to other apps.

Paul
Here you go:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2028&Itemid=66

:D

But it's still rather steep...

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Price change imminent?

Post by Bellsey » 26 Sep 2011, 13:57

azurecgi wrote:
As the years pass under Autodesks ownership, it is becoming increasingly clear that they have no intention of placing it alongside Max and Maya equally, even though it is superior in many ways.

Softimage still doesn't appear anywhere on Autodesks front page, even in the products drop-down menu, it doesn't have it's own suite where it could be bundled with Mudbox and Motion Builder and it gets very little exposure at trade shows. I could go on, but I think everyone here knows what I mean.
It's not about pitching Softimage alongside Max and Maya. You have to remember that those products had a larger market share, even before Autodesk acquired Softimage. Putting the products up against each other doesn't actually solve anything or help user with their problems, 3D software and the market changed so much in recent years. Hence why there's a new focus on offering Suites, which far more sense to me. Chinny has already mentioned alot about this, so I won't go over old ground.

As to the website and Autodesk's front page, it's time to move on from this and people should not use this as some kind of litmus test as to the state of Softimage. I have already explained about the website, so has Maurice, so I'm not sure what more there is we can say. Autodesk as many products, they can't all fit on the front page. There's also other products that probably make alot more money than some others, and they're not listed either. So don't read too much into this.

azurecgi
Posts: 171
Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11

Re: Price change imminent?

Post by azurecgi » 26 Sep 2011, 14:15

Bellsey wrote:Hence why there's a new focus on offering Suites, which far more sense to me.
I quite like the idea of a suite, I would find Mudbox and Motion Builder quite useful tools to have! Unfortunately, to do this and keep using Softimage, I will be forced to buy into the most expensive "Premium Suite" where I will be lumbered with a license of Max or Maya, neither of which I want or need!

I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me! :-q

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Price change imminent?

Post by Bellsey » 26 Sep 2011, 14:49

I can see that, and Suites aren't for everyone right now, they will suit some customers more than others.
But this is where you have to really do your homework in terms of the pricing of the products you want and what they would be in a Suite and how much the Subs on a Suite be as well.

dirtydog
Posts: 69
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 20:24
Location: motherwell scotland

Re: Price change imminent?

Post by dirtydog » 26 Sep 2011, 17:14

I crossgraded today in the UK to the Maya suite for £1068.75 on a promotion until 15' Oct, not that expensive. Subs will be £920 for all software compared to £775 for just softimage!.

azurecgi
Posts: 171
Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11

Re: Price change imminent?

Post by azurecgi » 26 Sep 2011, 17:26

dirtydog wrote:I crossgraded today in the UK to the Maya suite for £1068.75 on a promotion until 15' Oct, not that expensive. Subs will be £920 for all software compared to £775 for just softimage!.
Who is your reseller? I won't name mine, but they are bloody useless!