Cycles for Softimage
Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)
Sycles 2.4.1 V 2.4.1 released August 2026 —
This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. Version 2.4 is compiled with Cycles 5.3 (state of July 2026). The second generation of the addon (since 2.0) is a complete rewrite and works with Softimage 2015 SP2.
New since version 2.1.3 (from the github release notes): 2.4.1: fixed incorrect transforms of instances when the master model has rotation or scale, repacked with missing DLLs 2.4: Cycles 5.3. New Alpha parameter for the ImageTexture node, Sky Texture with Single and Multiple Scattering models, Thin Film for Metallic and Glass BSDF, new Raycast and Scene Time nodes, OSL custom camera, Linear 3D curve shape (also as per-object override), Geometry Approximation mode for NURBS surfaces, Render Time pass (CPU), texture optimisation (resolution, limit, tx texture cache) and a detailed scene export timing log 2.4: renders MaterialX shader trees from the MaterialXSI addon (converted to OSL). Note: OSL shading works on CPU render devices only 2.3.x: Cycles 4.5, OSL support is back, new Metallic BSDF and Set Normal nodes, phase function for Scatter Volume, Diffuse Roughness for Principled BSDF, more Noise Texture types, subdivision with motion deform, per-frame texture images, rendering of NURBS surfaces and curves (via custom properties), tile rendering, fixed shadow catcher, vector input ports for OSL shaders 2.2.x: nodes of Blender 4.3 (Ray Portal BSDF, Sheen BSDF, Gabor Texture, redesigned Principled BSDF), current Blender OCIO color profiles, custom velocity grids for VDB primitives, Particle Info node fed by ICE attributes, denoising of the final passes with OIDN or OptiX
Supported Softimage features (quoted from the download page):
Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following built-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE pointcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passes Rendermaps
The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows you to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. The libraries for GPU rendering are included in the package. All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser
For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there as well.
This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. Version 2.4 is compiled with Cycles 5.3 (state of July 2026). The second generation of the addon (since 2.0) is a complete rewrite and works with Softimage 2015 SP2.
New since version 2.1.3 (from the github release notes): 2.4.1: fixed incorrect transforms of instances when the master model has rotation or scale, repacked with missing DLLs 2.4: Cycles 5.3. New Alpha parameter for the ImageTexture node, Sky Texture with Single and Multiple Scattering models, Thin Film for Metallic and Glass BSDF, new Raycast and Scene Time nodes, OSL custom camera, Linear 3D curve shape (also as per-object override), Geometry Approximation mode for NURBS surfaces, Render Time pass (CPU), texture optimisation (resolution, limit, tx texture cache) and a detailed scene export timing log 2.4: renders MaterialX shader trees from the MaterialXSI addon (converted to OSL). Note: OSL shading works on CPU render devices only 2.3.x: Cycles 4.5, OSL support is back, new Metallic BSDF and Set Normal nodes, phase function for Scatter Volume, Diffuse Roughness for Principled BSDF, more Noise Texture types, subdivision with motion deform, per-frame texture images, rendering of NURBS surfaces and curves (via custom properties), tile rendering, fixed shadow catcher, vector input ports for OSL shaders 2.2.x: nodes of Blender 4.3 (Ray Portal BSDF, Sheen BSDF, Gabor Texture, redesigned Principled BSDF), current Blender OCIO color profiles, custom velocity grids for VDB primitives, Particle Info node fed by ICE attributes, denoising of the final passes with OIDN or OptiX
Supported Softimage features (quoted from the download page):
Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following built-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE pointcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passes Rendermaps
The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows you to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. The libraries for GPU rendering are included in the package. All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser
For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there as well.
download page: https://ssoftadd.github.io/syclesSecondGenPage.html / wiki with tutorials / all of Shekn's plugins / author on vimeo / si-community thread
-
Shekn
- Posts: 254
- Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18
Re: Cycles for Softimage
It's great that something is actually working!
It looks like the Cycles render engine uses different paths to search for additional resources (such as OSL shaders or GPU binaries) in different places. One path is set up properly (the folder containing the add-on). Cycles can find OSL shaders properly. However, some other paths are empty, which is why it searches for GPU binaries near the application root (Softimage exe file).
opoppopopp
Different phase modes for Volume Scatter Shader will be available in 2.3 update.
It looks like the Cycles render engine uses different paths to search for additional resources (such as OSL shaders or GPU binaries) in different places. One path is set up properly (the folder containing the add-on). Cycles can find OSL shaders properly. However, some other paths are empty, which is why it searches for GPU binaries near the application root (Softimage exe file).
opoppopopp
Different phase modes for Volume Scatter Shader will be available in 2.3 update.
-
wireframex
- Posts: 425
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
- Location: France
Re: Cycles for Softimage
Sycles 2.3
Thanks a lot it works with GPU and GPU OPTIX
Thanks a lot it works with GPU and GPU OPTIX
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
-
Shekn
- Posts: 254
- Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18
-
avalon_70
- Posts: 45
- Joined: 09 Jan 2021, 13:59
Re: Cycles for Softimage
What can I say.. I haven't tried it yet, but thank you so much for the time you dedicate to this plugin!
-
SPJ
- Posts: 75
- Joined: 14 Jun 2014, 13:38
Re: Cycles for Softimage
Thanks for pushing out a new version. Sorry to say, AMD GPUs are not showing up with Sycles 2.3. The lib folder that I copied to the Softimage system folder is still present, but that fix has not solved the issue. I will try installing 2.3 and removing the lib folder from SI install folder.
EDIT : Installing 2.3 with and without copying the lib folder to SI system install folder having no luck bringing GPU options in the render settings for me.
I'm reverting back to 2.2.1 for now, which is still working when installing and copying the lib folder back to SI install folder.
EDIT : Installing 2.3 with and without copying the lib folder to SI system install folder having no luck bringing GPU options in the render settings for me.
I'm reverting back to 2.2.1 for now, which is still working when installing and copying the lib folder back to SI install folder.
-
Shekn
- Posts: 254
- Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18
Re: Cycles for Softimage
About 2.2.1. It turns out that you should only create a lib folder inside the Softimage system directory. The contents of this folder are irrelevant. The actual GPU binaries are used from the lib folder in the add-on directory.
-
SPJ
- Posts: 75
- Joined: 14 Jun 2014, 13:38
Re: Cycles for Softimage
Can confirm an empty lib folder enabled the GPUs for me on 2.2.1.
Does anyone know the best workflow to get a shadow pass from Sycles? I've been reading about the Shadow Catcher in Blender but I'm not sure how I go about using that in SI. It uses a render layers node, so I think the utilisation is a bit different for Sycles.
Does anyone know the best workflow to get a shadow pass from Sycles? I've been reading about the Shadow Catcher in Blender but I'm not sure how I go about using that in SI. It uses a render layers node, so I think the utilisation is a bit different for Sycles.
Last edited by SPJ on 25 May 2025, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
-
opoppopopp
- Posts: 213
- Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 04:23
Re: Cycles for Softimage
That is ...Shekn wrote: 25 May 2025, 03:21 About 2.2.1. It turns out that you should only create a lib folder inside the Softimage system directory. The contents of this folder are irrelevant. The actual GPU binaries are used from the lib folder in the add-on directory.
And 2.3 is working by remove the lib folder and fresh install addon,
-
opoppopopp
- Posts: 213
- Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 04:23
Re: Cycles for Softimage
I remember just add "Mesh Property" and turn on "Shadow catcher" will render that polygon only with shadow.
@Shekn I must miss something, because shadowcatcher test scene is working, BUT only for Background(IBL) Light? other types light source seems not working?


@Shekn I must miss something, because shadowcatcher test scene is working, BUT only for Background(IBL) Light? other types light source seems not working?


-
SPJ
- Posts: 75
- Joined: 14 Jun 2014, 13:38
Re: Cycles for Softimage
I think I'm up and running with rendering a shadow capture pass. In my scene I have a point cloud with instanced shape. Motion blur doesn't seem to work. I noticed this has been a spotty issue from posts going back to page 50 of this thread, with some reports it works OK.
Here is what I have done:
- motion blur enabled in render manager cycles settings
- created pointcloud sim
- pointcloud "instance shape" node selecting a mesh with a cycles mesh property. This has motion blur deformation ticked.
- pointcloud also has cycles pointcloud property. This has motion blur deformation ticked.
- if I also tick native cycles pointcloud, render result has non-instanced simple points that have motion blur. If not ticked I get the instanced mesh with no motion blur
Using Sycles 2.2.1.
Have I missed a step?
Here is what I have done:
- motion blur enabled in render manager cycles settings
- created pointcloud sim
- pointcloud "instance shape" node selecting a mesh with a cycles mesh property. This has motion blur deformation ticked.
- pointcloud also has cycles pointcloud property. This has motion blur deformation ticked.
- if I also tick native cycles pointcloud, render result has non-instanced simple points that have motion blur. If not ticked I get the instanced mesh with no motion blur
Using Sycles 2.2.1.
Have I missed a step?
-
Shekn
- Posts: 254
- Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18
Re: Cycles for Softimage
If I remember correctly, Shadow Catcher is broken in Sycles 2.2.x due to a bug in the Blender source code used to build the addon.
About Shadow Catcher in 2.3, opoppopopp is right. Something is not working properly. I will try to investigate it.
About Shadow Catcher in 2.3, opoppopopp is right. Something is not working properly. I will try to investigate it.
-
Shekn
- Posts: 254
- Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18
Re: Cycles for Softimage
About motion blur. There is an issue (https://github.com/Tugcga/Sycles/issues/26) with ICE simulated instances. I cannot do anything about this issue.
SPJ, if this does not apply to you, send me an example of a scene that you would like to achieve. Then I might be able to understand what is wrong and why.
SPJ, if this does not apply to you, send me an example of a scene that you would like to achieve. Then I might be able to understand what is wrong and why.
-
SPJ
- Posts: 75
- Joined: 14 Jun 2014, 13:38
Re: Cycles for Softimage
I managed to get the shadow catcher to work for me in 2.2.1. That said it was a simple scene with only one Cycles area light. I had to use the Shadow Catcher option in the render channel, which was the step I was missing to begin with.Shekn wrote: 26 May 2025, 15:33 If I remember correctly, Shadow Catcher is broken in Sycles 2.2.x due to a bug in the Blender source code used to build the addon.
About Shadow Catcher in 2.3, opoppopopp is right. Something is not working properly. I will try to investigate it.
-
SPJ
- Posts: 75
- Joined: 14 Jun 2014, 13:38
Re: Cycles for Softimage
I'll send you the scene, which I'm looking to enable motion blur on the pointcloud. It also has the working Shadow Catcher in a shadow pass. If that's helpful to look at, then check it out as well.
-
wireframex
- Posts: 425
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
- Location: France
Re: Cycles for Softimage
Sycles 2.3.1 available 
What's new
Fix the shadow catcher. It now works not only with background light, but with all other lights too. The native Softimage light always has the shadow catcher activated.
Thanks Shekn
https://github.com/Tugcga/Sycles/releas ... ddon.2.3.1
What's new
Fix the shadow catcher. It now works not only with background light, but with all other lights too. The native Softimage light always has the shadow catcher activated.
Thanks Shekn
https://github.com/Tugcga/Sycles/releas ... ddon.2.3.1
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
-
SPJ
- Posts: 75
- Joined: 14 Jun 2014, 13:38
Re: Cycles for Softimage
I used Sycles 2 and the shadow catcher to create this wee mixed media piece. Pretty happy with it
Thanks opoppopopp and Shekn for the advice!
Thanks opoppopopp and Shekn for the advice!