Cycles for Softimage
Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)
Sycles 2.4.1 V 2.4.1 released August 2026 —
This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. Version 2.4 is compiled with Cycles 5.3 (state of July 2026). The second generation of the addon (since 2.0) is a complete rewrite and works with Softimage 2015 SP2.
New since version 2.1.3 (from the github release notes): 2.4.1: fixed incorrect transforms of instances when the master model has rotation or scale, repacked with missing DLLs 2.4: Cycles 5.3. New Alpha parameter for the ImageTexture node, Sky Texture with Single and Multiple Scattering models, Thin Film for Metallic and Glass BSDF, new Raycast and Scene Time nodes, OSL custom camera, Linear 3D curve shape (also as per-object override), Geometry Approximation mode for NURBS surfaces, Render Time pass (CPU), texture optimisation (resolution, limit, tx texture cache) and a detailed scene export timing log 2.4: renders MaterialX shader trees from the MaterialXSI addon (converted to OSL). Note: OSL shading works on CPU render devices only 2.3.x: Cycles 4.5, OSL support is back, new Metallic BSDF and Set Normal nodes, phase function for Scatter Volume, Diffuse Roughness for Principled BSDF, more Noise Texture types, subdivision with motion deform, per-frame texture images, rendering of NURBS surfaces and curves (via custom properties), tile rendering, fixed shadow catcher, vector input ports for OSL shaders 2.2.x: nodes of Blender 4.3 (Ray Portal BSDF, Sheen BSDF, Gabor Texture, redesigned Principled BSDF), current Blender OCIO color profiles, custom velocity grids for VDB primitives, Particle Info node fed by ICE attributes, denoising of the final passes with OIDN or OptiX
Supported Softimage features (quoted from the download page):
Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following built-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE pointcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passes Rendermaps
The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows you to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. The libraries for GPU rendering are included in the package. All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser
For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there as well.
This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. Version 2.4 is compiled with Cycles 5.3 (state of July 2026). The second generation of the addon (since 2.0) is a complete rewrite and works with Softimage 2015 SP2.
New since version 2.1.3 (from the github release notes): 2.4.1: fixed incorrect transforms of instances when the master model has rotation or scale, repacked with missing DLLs 2.4: Cycles 5.3. New Alpha parameter for the ImageTexture node, Sky Texture with Single and Multiple Scattering models, Thin Film for Metallic and Glass BSDF, new Raycast and Scene Time nodes, OSL custom camera, Linear 3D curve shape (also as per-object override), Geometry Approximation mode for NURBS surfaces, Render Time pass (CPU), texture optimisation (resolution, limit, tx texture cache) and a detailed scene export timing log 2.4: renders MaterialX shader trees from the MaterialXSI addon (converted to OSL). Note: OSL shading works on CPU render devices only 2.3.x: Cycles 4.5, OSL support is back, new Metallic BSDF and Set Normal nodes, phase function for Scatter Volume, Diffuse Roughness for Principled BSDF, more Noise Texture types, subdivision with motion deform, per-frame texture images, rendering of NURBS surfaces and curves (via custom properties), tile rendering, fixed shadow catcher, vector input ports for OSL shaders 2.2.x: nodes of Blender 4.3 (Ray Portal BSDF, Sheen BSDF, Gabor Texture, redesigned Principled BSDF), current Blender OCIO color profiles, custom velocity grids for VDB primitives, Particle Info node fed by ICE attributes, denoising of the final passes with OIDN or OptiX
Supported Softimage features (quoted from the download page):
Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following built-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE pointcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passes Rendermaps
The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows you to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. The libraries for GPU rendering are included in the package. All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser
For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there as well.
download page: https://ssoftadd.github.io/syclesSecondGenPage.html / wiki with tutorials / all of Shekn's plugins / author on vimeo / si-community thread
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: Cycles for Softimage
Hey Shekn is there a way we can have support for native shaders like Integer Attribute and Color Multi-Switch? Its very handy when you use Julian Johnson vertex island in ICE to randomize leaf color with the compound jj_indexer, i cant find a way to do it with Cycles while other engines support the Color Multi-Switch node
ths is an old thread about it, if you dont get what i mean
https://www.si-community.com/forum/ ... ion#p60020
thanks
ths is an old thread about it, if you dont get what i mean
https://www.si-community.com/forum/ ... ion#p60020
thanks
-
Shekn
- Posts: 254
- Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18
Re: Cycles for Softimage
Integer per-point attributes from ICE are supported by using default cycAttribute shader node. Color Multi-Switcher shader node can be constructed by using default Cycles shader nodes. Here is an example:

This is a compound container:

And this is compound port values:


This is a compound container:

And this is compound port values:

-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: Cycles for Softimage
you are the man<3 thanks!
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: Cycles for Softimage
can you please share this setup? i cant get it to workShekn wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 15:57 Integer per-point attributes from ICE are supported by using default cycAttribute shader node. Color Multi-Switcher shader node can be constructed by using default Cycles shader nodes. Here is an example:
This is a compound container:
And this is compound port values:
![]()
-
Shekn
- Posts: 254
- Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18
-
avalon_70
- Posts: 45
- Joined: 09 Jan 2021, 13:59
Re: Cycles for Softimage
Little chat, just to keep this fantastic thread alive..
Last week I managed to get the latest valid redshift license for softimage, 3.045.
Let me start by saying that I used Redshift at work from 2012 (it was still in development) until 2015 when I decided to change my life.
Filled with enthusiasm I tested the new version with my 3060ti, including the scenes I did in dual Redshift/Cycles version with the 1070.
For work I still preferred to use Redshift, but after delivery I also did the scene in Cycles for testing and backup.
Well, let's get to the point:
Cycles is much faster than Redshift!
And the rendering is even more beautiful in some aspects..
At this point all that's missing is a Matte shadow material
Thank You Shekn
Last week I managed to get the latest valid redshift license for softimage, 3.045.
Let me start by saying that I used Redshift at work from 2012 (it was still in development) until 2015 when I decided to change my life.
Filled with enthusiasm I tested the new version with my 3060ti, including the scenes I did in dual Redshift/Cycles version with the 1070.
For work I still preferred to use Redshift, but after delivery I also did the scene in Cycles for testing and backup.
Well, let's get to the point:
Cycles is much faster than Redshift!
And the rendering is even more beautiful in some aspects..
At this point all that's missing is a Matte shadow material
Thank You Shekn
-
bvmadjen
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 23 Aug 2019, 20:45
Re: Cycles for Softimage
I just downloaded and installed Sycles. I'm very impressed with it so far.
I found, though, that it only works with Phong and Lambert nodes. It works great with the GLTF plugin and its render node.
I also found that it won't render a subdivided preview of an object passed level 2; for that, the object must actually be subdivided either via the internal Catmull-Clark sub-d, or the addon XSI OpenSubDiv.
GPU rendering works, as well.
Thank you, Shekn.
I found, though, that it only works with Phong and Lambert nodes. It works great with the GLTF plugin and its render node.
I also found that it won't render a subdivided preview of an object passed level 2; for that, the object must actually be subdivided either via the internal Catmull-Clark sub-d, or the addon XSI OpenSubDiv.
GPU rendering works, as well.
Thank you, Shekn.
-
I3D
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 12 Aug 2009, 16:15
- Skype: ironic3d
Re: Cycles for Softimage
hmmm, All cycles materials and nodes are working. You wouldn't want to use it with Phong or Lambert anyhow. Most peeps use Principled BSDF as the main uber shader when using Cycles.bvmadjen wrote: 16 May 2024, 19:03 I just downloaded and installed Sycles. I'm very impressed with it so far.
I found, though, that it only works with Phong and Lambert nodes. It works great with the GLTF plugin and its render node.
I also found that it won't render a subdivided preview of an object passed level 2; for that, the object must actually be subdivided either via the internal Catmull-Clark sub-d, or the addon XSI OpenSubDiv.
GPU rendering works, as well.
Thank you, Shekn.
As for the SubD, make sure you add the cycles mesh property to the mesh and use its own internal SubD solution to render your object with SubD, you can go any level.
-
avalon_70
- Posts: 45
- Joined: 09 Jan 2021, 13:59
Re: Cycles for Softimage
As you were told, you have to use Cycles shaders.bvmadjen wrote: 16 May 2024, 19:03 I just downloaded and installed Sycles. I'm very impressed with it so far.
I found, though, that it only works with Phong and Lambert nodes. It works great with the GLTF plugin and its render node.
I also found that it won't render a subdivided preview of an object passed level 2; for that, the object must actually be subdivided either via the internal Catmull-Clark sub-d, or the addon XSI OpenSubDiv.
GPU rendering works, as well.
Thank you, Shekn.
If you want you can use the shader I composed, which works like the architectural shader of mentalray (and Redshift).
https://taobargraphics.com/Download/Arc ... es_v16.zip
-
bvmadjen
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 23 Aug 2019, 20:45
Re: Cycles for Softimage
I realized the whole 'using principle BSDF' thing after seeing the 'Cycles' materials in the 'material manager'.
The Sycles shaders work, but they don't display the right color in my viewport. (I'm running Softimage 2015 SP2)
The Sycles shaders work, but they don't display the right color in my viewport. (I'm running Softimage 2015 SP2)
-
avalon_70
- Posts: 45
- Joined: 09 Jan 2021, 13:59
Re: Cycles for Softimage
Use my compound shaderbvmadjen wrote: 19 May 2024, 21:15 I realized the whole 'using principle BSDF' thing after seeing the 'Cycles' materials in the 'material manager'.
The Sycles shaders work, but they don't display the right color in my viewport. (I'm running Softimage 2015 SP2)
-
opoppopopp
- Posts: 213
- Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 04:23
Re: Cycles for Softimage
OpenVDB using principledVolume, only render out those VOXEL
Through the Primitive object, file is loaded, I can see the preview in viewport , and "statistical information" is correct(name is "density" etc.)
Any additional step is needed for Sycles 2?
I remember I have succeeded render VDB file back then...

Through the Primitive object, file is loaded, I can see the preview in viewport , and "statistical information" is correct(name is "density" etc.)
Any additional step is needed for Sycles 2?
I remember I have succeeded render VDB file back then...

-
Shekn
- Posts: 254
- Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18
Re: Cycles for Softimage
No, nothing special is required. You should simply add VDB Primitive to the scene and assign to it the Principled Volume shader. Send me the example of your vdb-file and I will try to understand, why it renders in a wrong way.
-
opoppopopp
- Posts: 213
- Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 04:23
Re: Cycles for Softimage
This push me to further debug on my side.
And problem is the VDB file itself, I export it wrongly(Non-square/uniform voxel voxel etc. I don't really understand)
But it can render successfully now.
Thanks! (really rely upon Sycles for all my render...)
-
opoppopopp
- Posts: 213
- Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 04:23
Re: Cycles for Softimage
BTW, Will Motion blur work on VDB primitive? or at least a motion channel for comp
I guess the Volume rendering is only happened at render time, so there is no point to calculate ?
I guess the Volume rendering is only happened at render time, so there is no point to calculate ?
-
wireframex
- Posts: 425
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
- Location: France
Re: Cycles for Softimage
Can you post a render ?opoppopopp wrote: 24 Jun 2024, 18:12 And problem is the VDB file itself, I export it wrongly(Non-square/uniform voxel voxel etc. I don't really understand)
But it can render successfully now.
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory