Modo 801 Release

News concerning 3D DCC business
luchifer
Posts: 119
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 20:27
Location: Lima, Perú

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by luchifer » 01 May 2014, 17:16

grendizer wrote:I think the problem here is lack of development.
Ice is not that complicated, following some tutorials in the doc and on the web, you can get started pretty easily
check the houdini out of the shelf flat video I added as an edit in my comment, and you'll see that even if the user knows jack about programming he can add a jet ski from turbosquid and make a great water simulation in a matter of minutes.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Modo 801 Release

Post by Mathaeus » 01 May 2014, 17:38

Hirazi Blue wrote:Do you really expect the Foundry/Luxology to significantly change their roadmap and/or implement too many wishes from a group of former Softimage users they already lured in as customers? Call me cynical (and you'd be correct), but I think the novelty of trying to please those poor homeless Softimage users will wear off rather quickly (but I do hope I'm wrong). They're primarily in the business of "making money" too...
:D
Well there's question, what is average Softimage user, does remainder even exist. Someone who hate Maya, or what. A number of people, including me, come into Foundation times, but, how many of them felt in love with secrets of XSI lazy evaluation, blending of constraints, all ICE stuff, later.
Some old aspects of Softimage, like pricing and licensing of XSI Foundation - this part is already there. I believed The Foundry will go with subs and higher upgrade price, but they didn't - this time. Personally, I want to have a piece of commercial software at home, but I don't want to be obligated, to search for gigs, just to return the money. AD sub is no option, actually I don't like any sub , and that's only reason to do not have Maya LT thing - at least for now.
Modo forum is a nice community, I'd believe this is important factor for freelancers, working alone.

Of course, every capitalist wants money, but, mu impression is, that Foundry people are able to do that in, somehow, smarter way. Especially PR (which is important). Their PR people doesn't sound like political commissaries, their equivalent of mr Bars, is able to post of Modo forum, not sounding like Imperator of universe, speaking his court language.

Now, competing to Maya, replica of SI.. hate to say, but this part seems to be solely illusion of some 'our' people. Also many post here are based on imho, another, dangerous illusion, that every Maya or Max user hates their software. They don't, or don't enough to switch to anything else. I'd be ready to say everything bad about Max, but I won't hesitate to use it, if I have to. Sometimes, we are ready to take a some kind of relaxing on public forum, by Maya or Max people, as a sign of real disappointment. But it's not.