Windows 8
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Windows 8
What's explorer? I don't use Windows without Total/Free Commander
Nice article on Windows 7 SP5 (8):
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/13 ... -windows-7
Nice article on Windows 7 SP5 (8):
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/13 ... -windows-7
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: Windows 8
Total Commander FTW!
I laugh or more often cry or cringe when I have to stay behind someone that uses my_computer. The sheer lack of productivity is astonishing when using windows' default file managers like my_computer/explorer.
I laugh or more often cry or cringe when I have to stay behind someone that uses my_computer. The sheer lack of productivity is astonishing when using windows' default file managers like my_computer/explorer.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides
-
Falam
Re: Windows 8
I use XY explorer, actually I bought it. The manual is written in a way poorly. Windows8 explorer is not that bad, it is somewhat a step forward compared to previous file explorers. I'm reading a thread on another forum on / off where Windows8 gets bashed very hard. All hope is that Windows Blue will make Windows8, Windows7, and that isn't going to happen.McNistor wrote:Total Commander FTW!
I laugh or more often cry or cringe when I have to stay behind someone that uses my_computer. The sheer lack of productivity is astonishing when using windows' default file managers like my_computer/explorer.
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Windows 8
Does Win 8 Explorer still have the annoying bug where library folder contents aren't updated after deleting copying renaming etc. ? 
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Firebird
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:08
- Location: Vienna
Re: Windows 8
Windows 8 does bring alot of nice features. I had it on a laptop for a couple of weeks.
The only thing I dislike is, that I can´t switch of the Metro UI, I don't like it and I dont need it so please give me a control to switch it on or off.
The only thing I dislike is, that I can´t switch of the Metro UI, I don't like it and I dont need it so please give me a control to switch it on or off.
-
Falam
Re: Windows 8
The power in Metro UI and Desktop UI is using Metro apps and Desktop app simultaneously, try it.Firebird wrote:Windows 8 does bring alot of nice features. I had it on a laptop for a couple of weeks.
The only thing I dislike is, that I can´t switch of the Metro UI, I don't like it and I dont need it so please give me a control to switch it on or off.
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Windows 8
Thanks for that. It's quite refreshing to see some more 'leveled' articles about Windows 8.Nice article on Windows 7 SP5 (8):
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/138177-under-the-hood-of-windows-8-or-why-desktop-users-should-upgrade-from-windows-7
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
SvalinnAsgard
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 17 Oct 2012, 08:19
- Location: United States
Re: Windows 8
What does metro bring that the existing desktop did not already have? I fail to see how one gains any power by using metro.Falam wrote:The power in Metro UI and Desktop UI is using Metro apps and Desktop app simultaneously, try it.
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Windows 8
I'm not sure you must look at it that way. For (RT) tablets it's the interface you're going to use -period-, but for regular desktop PC's it's an addition to what you already have/had.
Added "power" or not... ;-)
It brings - if done correctly- some stronger design rules into the GUI that Windows lacked (or were ignored) for a long time.
Some Metro (yes, still call it that) applications are just quickly/badly converted websites, but others are really nicely done and will add something new to Windows.
I myself use about 10 Metro apps on a daily basis now, some stuff for news and some other things.
I really like NewsBento for instance:
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us ... 471fc2b882
It's a great example of a nice Metro styled RSS feed app, serving you information in the new layout.
Can I just use a browser to find it all? Yes,but I like the way it is presented this way better. It all has a more book/magazine like styling, something I miss on websites a lot.
There are a lot of other apps as well, giving you a nicer, cleaner and (for a lot of people) simpler layouts. Some may not like it, for this kind of stuff I do.
I also like the Metro ' MS OneNote' version better, it's simpler, cleaner, less cluttered and more logical somehow with all the baggage stripped.
Does the new Metro environment have issues? Oh definitely, but nothing that can be fixed. The rumor mill is strong on 'project Blue' for that matter.
Is MS is on the right track bolting a touch/mobile GUI on top of plain ol' Windows? That is a totally different discussion.
That something needed to be done at MS to regain a piece of the mobile tablet/phone market was something to be expected.
And unification of interfaces between devices makes it instantly recognizable for people, if it is a phone, tablet, ultrabook or pc. With that comes a simpler learning curve, which will help a lot of people in the end.
We as "power users" might object to some Metro ideas strongly, but we also know our beloved desktop isn't going anywhere any time soon.
So, imho, for the desktop it's an addition that gives you something extra, not necessarily more power.
rob
Added "power" or not... ;-)
It brings - if done correctly- some stronger design rules into the GUI that Windows lacked (or were ignored) for a long time.
Some Metro (yes, still call it that) applications are just quickly/badly converted websites, but others are really nicely done and will add something new to Windows.
I myself use about 10 Metro apps on a daily basis now, some stuff for news and some other things.
I really like NewsBento for instance:
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us ... 471fc2b882
It's a great example of a nice Metro styled RSS feed app, serving you information in the new layout.
Can I just use a browser to find it all? Yes,but I like the way it is presented this way better. It all has a more book/magazine like styling, something I miss on websites a lot.
There are a lot of other apps as well, giving you a nicer, cleaner and (for a lot of people) simpler layouts. Some may not like it, for this kind of stuff I do.
I also like the Metro ' MS OneNote' version better, it's simpler, cleaner, less cluttered and more logical somehow with all the baggage stripped.
Does the new Metro environment have issues? Oh definitely, but nothing that can be fixed. The rumor mill is strong on 'project Blue' for that matter.
Is MS is on the right track bolting a touch/mobile GUI on top of plain ol' Windows? That is a totally different discussion.
That something needed to be done at MS to regain a piece of the mobile tablet/phone market was something to be expected.
And unification of interfaces between devices makes it instantly recognizable for people, if it is a phone, tablet, ultrabook or pc. With that comes a simpler learning curve, which will help a lot of people in the end.
We as "power users" might object to some Metro ideas strongly, but we also know our beloved desktop isn't going anywhere any time soon.
So, imho, for the desktop it's an addition that gives you something extra, not necessarily more power.
rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
Kerro Perro
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
- Location: Leiden, the Netherlands
Re: Windows 8
Hey Rob i'm curious, i haven't read the entire thread so if you already answered this mea culpa: Do you have 8 installed on your "main" workstation as well? I see how you might like it on your laptop or more casual pc but i'm curious as to installing it on your "workhorse"...
Btw my two cents on the whole thing is very simple: i'm gonna wait it out a little. Just simply because any major OS change, or even a major upgrade to an important program is nearly always buggy no matter how hard developers try for it not to be. So i'll just wait for a few service packs before trying out on my casual pc.
Also in case this has not been posted yet this is a way to try out 8 "virtually" :http://www.pcworld.com/article/2016057/ ... albox.html (i've been too lazy to test it yet still ;) )
Btw my two cents on the whole thing is very simple: i'm gonna wait it out a little. Just simply because any major OS change, or even a major upgrade to an important program is nearly always buggy no matter how hard developers try for it not to be. So i'll just wait for a few service packs before trying out on my casual pc.
Also in case this has not been posted yet this is a way to try out 8 "virtually" :http://www.pcworld.com/article/2016057/ ... albox.html (i've been too lazy to test it yet still ;) )
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Windows 8
Have tested it extensively in Virtual box since the first public beta came out.
I don't have W8 running on my pc yet (no time to upgrade so far), but my laptop is humming along just fine. I did a lot of web related work on my laptop lately, and I don't have any issues with it.
For my pc it's important multi-monitor will work properly, among some other small things regarding software. Haven't fully checked that out yet.
Regarding service packs, it seems (rumor mill/tech sites) MS will step away from service packs and will move into a yearly cycle of upgrades, like Apple.
In between you'll have the regular patch Tuesdays. So the "I'll wait for the first SP before I upgrade" mantra might be obsolete soon. ;)
rob
I don't have W8 running on my pc yet (no time to upgrade so far), but my laptop is humming along just fine. I did a lot of web related work on my laptop lately, and I don't have any issues with it.
For my pc it's important multi-monitor will work properly, among some other small things regarding software. Haven't fully checked that out yet.
Regarding service packs, it seems (rumor mill/tech sites) MS will step away from service packs and will move into a yearly cycle of upgrades, like Apple.
In between you'll have the regular patch Tuesdays. So the "I'll wait for the first SP before I upgrade" mantra might be obsolete soon. ;)
rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
Kerro Perro
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
- Location: Leiden, the Netherlands
Re: Windows 8
Ah ok well then let me rephrase: "i'll wait a couple of months for enough patches to come out" 
But in all seriousness let me/us know how you get on when you try W8 on your workstation, i think that will be the true test: can you work and render in SI, AE (even though you hate that
) Nuke etc. without any problems.
And yeah i'll try the virtualbox thingy asap ;)
But in all seriousness let me/us know how you get on when you try W8 on your workstation, i think that will be the true test: can you work and render in SI, AE (even though you hate that
And yeah i'll try the virtualbox thingy asap ;)
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Windows 8
There are some people in this thread already working on W8, so they have to comment on that.
For now it seems most, if not all work just fine.
rob
For now it seems most, if not all work just fine.
rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Windows 8
The first impressions for the MS Surface Pro are in, it starts to look like a really interesting piece of kit:
http://www.zdnet.com/hands-on-with-micr ... 000009572/
http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/9/385707 ... mpressions
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/micr ... -hands-on/
Other alternatives would be the:
- Samsung ATIV Smart PC http://www.samsung.com/global/ativ/ativ_pc.html
- Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/table ... -tablet-2/
- ASUS VivoTab http://www.asus.com/vivo/en/vivoTab.htm
These all come with digitizers & pens, x86 CPU, and most of them a 64bit version of W8.
What do you think, would these ones be a all-in-one replacement for e.g. an iPad/Macbook Air?
http://www.zdnet.com/hands-on-with-micr ... 000009572/
http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/9/385707 ... mpressions
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/micr ... -hands-on/
Other alternatives would be the:
- Samsung ATIV Smart PC http://www.samsung.com/global/ativ/ativ_pc.html
- Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/table ... -tablet-2/
- ASUS VivoTab http://www.asus.com/vivo/en/vivoTab.htm
These all come with digitizers & pens, x86 CPU, and most of them a 64bit version of W8.
What do you think, would these ones be a all-in-one replacement for e.g. an iPad/Macbook Air?
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Windows 8
These three are intel Atom based, so they're more a toy device like ipad, not really comparable to Surface pro.
If the pen works good ("modified Wacom tech") it might be interesting product.
If the pen works good ("modified Wacom tech") it might be interesting product.
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Windows 8
Not sure on the toy part, but battery wise they might be more interesting if you're going for that.
It's nice too see stuff like this emerge.
rob
It's nice too see stuff like this emerge.
rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!