Luxology & the Foundry merge

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
TwinSnakes007
Posts: 316
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 14:00

Re: Luxology & the Foundry merge

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 28 Sep 2012, 22:26

Sil3 wrote:No one wanted to the spend time learning it since it would be a mess after 100 or so materials.
That's the point I was going to make, but I didnt want to get Greg going. (hehe).

It doest scale up well at all. For small stuff, yeah, its doable. But, in Production level scenes its unmanageable.

Greg
Posts: 15
Joined: 04 May 2012, 23:27

Re: Luxology & the Foundry merge

Post by Greg » 28 Sep 2012, 22:35

lol....well, I kind of agree with you. When I was first shown 201 I had dinner with the developers at Siggraph one night and pleaded my case for nodes. However, over the years I've actually gotten to like the shadertree and can work in that faster than using nodes in most cases (I do mostly product stuff...plastics..metals...pretty simple stuff). I personally think it's pretty easy to organize the shadertree with groups and names..it's basically like a directory (while a giant pane of shaderballs in Maya doesn't tell you much).

But you're all correct - nobody wants to learn a new system in the VFX world (the Design world actually shies away from nodes..) and they can't have salespeople walk into VFX studios and say 'let me introduce you to the shadertree'....they'll get a drink thrown in their face. So yeah, I would expect some sort of nodal shading system at some point....they already have an 'ok' node editor for rigging, it needs work too though.

-G
TwinSnakes007 wrote:
Sil3 wrote:No one wanted to the spend time learning it since it would be a mess after 100 or so materials.
That's the point I was going to make, but I didnt want to get Greg going. (hehe).

It doest scale up well at all. For small stuff, yeah, its doable. But, in Production level scenes its unmanageable.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Luxology & the Foundry merge

Post by Mathaeus » 29 Sep 2012, 11:22

Greg wrote: You can get single scatter by using a scattering distance of 0 in the regular material..I honesty never use the hair and skin shaders as I don't do people.

-G
Just short glossary. For these hair shaders, "scatter" means just an ordinary specular highlight. Could be replaced by ray-traced reflection, but nobody wants this (slow). Early single scatter Marcshner model, or XSI MuhHair, or later implementation called P_HairTK‎, consist about two or three specular highlights, shifted along hair, by angle (not distance). That's a fast approximation of what you usually see on middle tone hair, at high angle between hair and light ray, you see exaggerated base color, brown became reddish. At low angle there's white "reflection".

Dual scattering is well known from "Tangled" movie. It has a few highlights more, shifted to opposite side of light, invoked by first ones. There's recognizable slight greasy look. For those who play with hair shading, it has "I want this" effect, like ring in LOTR :).
In order to get seccond scatter to work properly, there's need for a few steps more in shadow evaluation. In Modo, nice proof of "real" dual scattering model, is a plain black hair, when light don't cast shadow. Usually in Renderman compliant, deep shadow map is used, so shader evaluates just a bit longer.

Now in Modo 601, by word of author of shader, ray-trace shadows are only that works with this one - for now. My wild guess, they had no time to adapt renderer for deep shadow map in a way this shader likes. So there is a long render time, even Modo can do much better, I'd believe.

P.S. so, if Modo guys would be able to get some faster hair shader (even not so easy to tweak), I already have enough for.... one month of Modo gallery full of "L'Oréal" type of design :)

Qwesto
Posts: 62
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 14:57
Skype: joetello

Re: Luxology & the Foundry merge

Post by Qwesto » 29 Sep 2012, 15:19

...actually EXACTLY the Starbucks where I was sitting often, while being in SF for my graduation ceremony, that's crazy :D :D :D