Softimage 2012 Experiences
-
Caveman
- Posts: 211
- Joined: 12 Feb 2011, 11:38
Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences
Whoa! I think I found one too. In the Animation Editor I can't select two or more tangents using the shift or the ctrl key, this can be done in older versions and is an absolutely essential function. The guys really messed up this time.
Or is there a new hotkey??? Hope someone sees my post.
-
Caveman
- Posts: 211
- Joined: 12 Feb 2011, 11:38
Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences
Instead of renaming stuffs for example "Snapshot Curves" to "Buffer Curves" which I think is completely unnecessary they should have focused more on the reliability of the software. 
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences
selecting multiple tangents works here
-
Caveman
- Posts: 211
- Joined: 12 Feb 2011, 11:38
Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences
I will have to install SI on my freshly installed Windows 7 on the other PC and check if it works there.
-
Caveman
- Posts: 211
- Joined: 12 Feb 2011, 11:38
Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences
I have installed SI on my other machine, and it's the same there as well. I drag select multiple keys then when I Shift click or Ctrl click on one of the tangents the other ones gets deselected and disappears.
Both of the machines are completely different the only thing common is SI. How are you selecting multiple tangents? PLS tell
Both of the machines are completely different the only thing common is SI. How are you selecting multiple tangents? PLS tell
-
Caveman
- Posts: 211
- Joined: 12 Feb 2011, 11:38
Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences
Also if it works please tell me so that I can correct my post above.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences
You probably mean tangents on different keys. If so, try the following ("workaround"):
select "View > Slopes on Unselected Keys" in the "Fcurve Editor Preferences".
That way you can select tangents on multiple keys with the shift & ctrl key and manipulate them together.
If this is not what you mean, don't hesitate to say so, I am far from an expert on Animation ("on anything, really...")
;)
select "View > Slopes on Unselected Keys" in the "Fcurve Editor Preferences".
That way you can select tangents on multiple keys with the shift & ctrl key and manipulate them together.
If this is not what you mean, don't hesitate to say so, I am far from an expert on Animation ("on anything, really...")
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Caveman
- Posts: 211
- Joined: 12 Feb 2011, 11:38
Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences
Thanks Hirazi that's what I meant, and your workaround works. But this wasn't necessary to do in older versions. I just started learning animation, and already had to resort to workarounds
Not good, not good at all. 
-
Cacoman
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 02 Aug 2010, 21:11
Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences
Well after reading all of this started to do some tests.
This is what I found.
I am using win7 x64 i7 dual six core.
Opening the Task Manager and looking at the performance when doing a render with 2012 does not use 100% of the CPU. It varies from 9% to 12% and stays at this very low CPU usage during the whole render.
The same scene in 2011.5 doing just the FG map took 5 sec. In 2012 using this low CPU (9%) took 30 sec.
Something that will be nice to check is what happens if we put MR from 2011.5 into 2012. I tried but I spoiled everything (good thing I made first backup directories of everything) ;) . If someone has some skills in doing this, I think it is worth the try. I can do it but I need some guidence in which files to copy where.
This is what I found.
I am using win7 x64 i7 dual six core.
Opening the Task Manager and looking at the performance when doing a render with 2012 does not use 100% of the CPU. It varies from 9% to 12% and stays at this very low CPU usage during the whole render.
The same scene in 2011.5 doing just the FG map took 5 sec. In 2012 using this low CPU (9%) took 30 sec.
Something that will be nice to check is what happens if we put MR from 2011.5 into 2012. I tried but I spoiled everything (good thing I made first backup directories of everything) ;) . If someone has some skills in doing this, I think it is worth the try. I can do it but I need some guidence in which files to copy where.
To create something that does not exist, to exist.
-
SreckoM
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
- Skype: srecko.micic
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences
try disabling preview window. Or is it happening also when region rendering?Cacoman wrote:Well after reading all of this started to do some tests.
This is what I found.
I am using win7 x64 i7 dual six core.
Opening the Task Manager and looking at the performance when doing a render with 2012 does not use 100% of the CPU. It varies from 9% to 12% and stays at this very low CPU usage during the whole render.
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences
SreckoM wrote:Any eta on hotfix for this Mental Ray bug?
i guess the fix will come with service pack..hopefully everything will work, no idea when service pack will be tho.Hirazi Blue wrote:In a follow-up on the Area luceric mentions the following about the time it will takeluceric wrote:We're investigating this rendering startup delay
before there will be a service pack/solution to this problem:(Quoted from here,worse case one month. The team is really waiting for more feedback on the product before sending a service pack.
they still haven't fixed the Permlink @ the Area, but it's the tenth post in that thread)
;)
-
Cacoman
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 02 Aug 2010, 21:11
Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences
It happens everytime. With preview disabled, enabled. Even when just rendering the FG map.origin wrote:
try disabling preview window. Or is it happening also when region rendering?
I installed 3delight and it works very good with 2012. Seems like a real alternative to MR until they fix this.
To create something that does not exist, to exist.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences
I downloaded to day SI 2012 trial.
My viewport lag everytime I apply texture or with a little heavy scene (2011 manage this scene very well and really fast).
Do I the only one with this issue?
My workstation is a phenom x6 1090t, GTX460 and 16gb ram
The mudbox send scene button is really inviting (but 1200 $ is too hight price for me)
My viewport lag everytime I apply texture or with a little heavy scene (2011 manage this scene very well and really fast).
Do I the only one with this issue?
My workstation is a phenom x6 1090t, GTX460 and 16gb ram
The mudbox send scene button is really inviting (but 1200 $ is too hight price for me)
-
Caveman
- Posts: 211
- Joined: 12 Feb 2011, 11:38
Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences
Still no hotfix or sp. Awesome 
-
Memag
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
- Location: Tits
Re: Softimage 2012 Experiences
This is just a preference, which you can easily set, not a workaround.Caveman wrote:Thanks Hirazi that's what I meant, and your workaround works. But this wasn't necessary to do in older versions. I just started learning animation, and already had to resort to workaroundsNot good, not good at all.
Defaults may change but the functionality is still there.