Arnold
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Arnold
For now, Luc-Eric is spot on.
We'll have to see what happens in the future regarding licenses for freelancers.
Despite the fact I can understand the anticipation, there's no need for speculation, angry mobs and such ;-)
We'll have to see what happens in the future regarding licenses for freelancers.
Despite the fact I can understand the anticipation, there's no need for speculation, angry mobs and such ;-)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
tomalc
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 16:24
Re: Arnold
Nice !Rork wrote:For now, Luc-Eric is spot on.
We'll have to see what happens in the future regarding licenses for freelancers.
Despite the fact I can understand the anticipation, there's no need for speculation, angry mobs and such ;-)
Peace...
Hope ?
Thomas Le Calvé
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Arnold
Happy with -no- news, nice!
Peace: Sure, why not?
Hope: Men's best friend?
rob
Peace: Sure, why not?
Hope: Men's best friend?
rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Arnold
Meanwhile why don't you all apply to vray beta...I'm pretty sure most of you with limited renderfarms will appreciate vray more than all around brute force renderer like arnold ;;)
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: Arnold
I never understood the Vray love (as opposed to the mental ray hate). It's really not that different from mental ray.
Kind of like getting a Porsche because the Ferrari is too slow, when in reality they perform similarly if you know how to shift them. I don't know, maybe the Porsche has an automatic transmission (make-pretty-render-button).
Kind of like getting a Porsche because the Ferrari is too slow, when in reality they perform similarly if you know how to shift them. I don't know, maybe the Porsche has an automatic transmission (make-pretty-render-button).
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Arnold
My 'love' comes from small differences, like:
-GI methods (irradiance, lightcache, +brute force speed)
-motion blur speed
-DMC sampling
-true area lights (+speed)
-sss2
Development of mental delay is so fucking slow that I lost all hope to see anything good from mentalimages.
I know there are some fanboys claiming that mentalray is great renderer only if you can set up it properly - what a load of crap.
There are plenty of tips&tricks to speed up raytracers but these apply to all renderers not only mr.
And please don't talk about IP, iray, progressive rendreing, unified sampling or others cause these are either ultralong in development and not finished, limited, useless or uberslow!
;;)
-GI methods (irradiance, lightcache, +brute force speed)
-motion blur speed
-DMC sampling
-true area lights (+speed)
-sss2
Development of mental delay is so fucking slow that I lost all hope to see anything good from mentalimages.
I know there are some fanboys claiming that mentalray is great renderer only if you can set up it properly - what a load of crap.
There are plenty of tips&tricks to speed up raytracers but these apply to all renderers not only mr.
And please don't talk about IP, iray, progressive rendreing, unified sampling or others cause these are either ultralong in development and not finished, limited, useless or uberslow!
;;)
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Arnold
well, I think Vray for 3dStudio Max has a bit more of user options than any kind of MR. But yes, there are a few of software for automated setup, such as Solid Rocks - never tried it, but know a few of beginners were able to live using their Rhino, Cinema 4d or Max, even SketchUp, Solid Rocks and Vray.Chris_TC wrote:I never understood the Vray love (as opposed to the mental ray hate). It's really not that different from mental ray.
Kind of like getting a Porsche because the Ferrari is too slow, when in reality they perform similarly if you know how to shift them. I don't know, maybe the Porsche has an automatic transmission (make-pretty-render-button).
From bigger customers there is a Blur.
Just for me personally it's some kind of division with zero, as one my responsibility is finding a new galls and guys. At least in place where I'm live there are only two options, VRay or some Lightwave variance. No one, literally no one user with enough knowledge about MR.
Btw, I'm pretty sure I would never ever have a really good time for playing with ICE, if I used MR everyday.
Cheers
-
mattmos
- Posts: 445
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59
Re: Arnold
This thread has gone too long without some pretty pictures ;)
http://www.ir-ltd.net/3d-scanning-to-cg ... s-in-hours
http://www.ir-ltd.net/3d-scanning-to-cg ... s-in-hours
-
Kerro Perro
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
- Location: Leiden, the Netherlands
Re: Arnold
Ok this might be a very stupid comment but if the problem for SolidAngle to sell to single users/freelancers is the hassle of dealing with support issues then why don't they do some kind of "no-support" cheapo license? Just add a forum where users can complain to each other instead of the staff and let 'em sort themselves out.
Seems like most software companies do that any way - i mean have you seen the NewTek forum? Nuff said ;)
Just a thought - mostly wishfull thinking.
Seems like most software companies do that any way - i mean have you seen the NewTek forum? Nuff said ;)
Just a thought - mostly wishfull thinking.
-
Lord Futzi Voldemort
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01
Re: Arnold
mattmos wrote:This thread has gone too long without some pretty pictures ;)
http://www.ir-ltd.net/3d-scanning-to-cg ... s-in-hours
Yeah, this thread has gone too long without a public release... ;)
Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Arnold
I think there's a similar one on another forum that's started about 7 years ago.
I wouldn't hold my breath
I wouldn't hold my breath
-
Chris_TC
- Posts: 411
- Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43
Re: Arnold
If you mean the one on the Base, that thread started on June 28, 2002. A little over 9 years ago. It began with the famous words:ActionArt wrote:I think there's a similar one on another forum that's started about 7 years ago.
I wouldn't hold my breath
"I talked to a beta tester of Arnold yesterday, quite interesting:"
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Arnold
The solid angle website has changed. No more info but different...wonder what that means. More to come? Or are they just watching to see if we noticed and laughing at us mortals who don't have it... 
http://www.solidangle.com/
http://www.solidangle.com/
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Arnold
yes 
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Arnold
just kidding.... ;)
But here are some productions done with Arnold lately:
Miopia FX - Spanish National Lottery http://vimeo.com/32323502
737 Shakers - Jelly Jam Kids TV Show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPqzv-0 ... r_embedded
Mikors Image - Canal + http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDOi3Hudmmc
The Mill - Keep Walking http://themill.com/work/johnnie-walker-rock-giant.aspx
The Mill - Audi Avant A6 - http://www.themill.com/work/audi-a6/hummingbird.aspx
Schönheitsfarm Production - Cinemaxx - Maxximum Sound http://www.sfarm.de/work/projects/cinem ... imum-sound
rob
But here are some productions done with Arnold lately:
Miopia FX - Spanish National Lottery http://vimeo.com/32323502
737 Shakers - Jelly Jam Kids TV Show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPqzv-0 ... r_embedded
Mikors Image - Canal + http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDOi3Hudmmc
The Mill - Keep Walking http://themill.com/work/johnnie-walker-rock-giant.aspx
The Mill - Audi Avant A6 - http://www.themill.com/work/audi-a6/hummingbird.aspx
Schönheitsfarm Production - Cinemaxx - Maxximum Sound http://www.sfarm.de/work/projects/cinem ... imum-sound
rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!