Hi!
Thanks for your feedback/insight, and sorry cause my list was unsorted if not rather "raw"
otherwise, see comments below ;;
____________________________________________________________
Shekn wrote: 09 Jan 2024, 07:14
1-2. About AO settings in LightPath. I don't fully understand how these parameters should works in Blender. And that's why I can not properly implement it in Softimage. In fact I simply transfer parameters from UI to Cycles engine. But may be some additional tweaks are required.
...
5. The situation with portal light is the same as with AO. I don't understand how it should works.
Indeed ; both AO in replace mode, and portal lights not making a significant difference, seem to also concern Cycles as well.
but the working defaults can also be good,
or not using (therefore not having to set-up/manage) portal lights is also great for simplicity,
( like render anything anywhere )
while still possibly rendering reasonably fast with denoising.
____________________________________________________________
3. What do you mean by "Render Region is clamped at 1"? For output to the screen in render preview Softimage use 8-bit colors. These colors contain channel values from 0 to 255. Or you mean something different?
I mentioned recalling Sycles 1.9 not being clamped, but I may be wrong ? ( haven't reinstalled v1.9 )
But by "clamping" I mean like for MR, Arnold, & Redshift, the render region would be in "high dynamic range"
and pressing CTRL while hovering the mouse over sun reflective highlights for instance, would show values going over 1 (one),
Also, halving the region's "Exposure" setting for instance,
would show highlights originally going over 2, still going over 1 in the display.
( can be important for diagnosis )
____________________________________________________________
4. Background is visible if the parameter Film - Transparent is off.
Indeed! my bad, just overlooked those settings assuming they were for global transparency rays.
____________________________________________________________
6. Thank you for the typo in UI
____________________________________________________________
7. Skip rendered frames works for me
I can confirm that ... sorry, maybe was I confusing different output sequences.
____________________________________________________________
Otherwise, I don't think there was much that I was "missing" or that I "wished for" ...
... except maybe including the pre-denoised output as a channel
( perhaps replacing the "combined" channel which is currently exactly the same as the "main" (denoised) channel ? )
---> in other words, the possibility of including the noisy original combined channel, could be useful in the post-process,
as the "selective re-noising" of denoised images could be using the original noise, thereby recovering yet more details/subtleties.
It seems to be possible in Blender;
From here ;
https://artisticrender.com/render-passe ... ete-guide/
The noisy image pass is added automatically if we use denoising. In this case the combined pass will include the denoising data while the noisy image output will be the raw combined output without denoising.
... so perhaps it might also be possible in Sycles ?
____________________________
And ... if I may ask again,
do you think deformed while natively SubD-ed meshes -might- potentially support motion-blur in the future ?
( or pehaps a "hacky" OnRenderStart event script solution ? )
Not just for "blue liquid in classrooms" (lol),
but also for characters or any deforming "organic shapes" in general where motion blur is almost "a must".
In any event, thanks so much for at-all having done & shared all of this, I appreciate the efforts and time,
t'was otherwise fun working with it, and I'm not done yet lol
Cheers!