What if Softimage died?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics

Softimage is unofficially dead what would you do ?

Poll ended at 05 Oct 2013, 11:10

Switch to Maya (including LT) / Max
13
14%
Continue using Softimage for a few years to come
59
61%
Blender
6
6%
Houdini
12
13%
Modo
2
2%
Other
4
4%
 
Total votes: 96

Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Pooby » 03 Mar 2014, 14:53

I realise that not everyone uses it, but for anyone who might be worried about the lack of Arnold rendering support for XSI into the future. This is part of an email to me from Marcos Fajardo, chief Architect of Arnold.

"Oh, and btw, we will continue to support SItoA for years, regardless of what happens with Softimage."

Morgan Nilsson
Posts: 9
Joined: 25 Feb 2014, 20:02

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Morgan Nilsson » 03 Mar 2014, 15:02

Pooby wrote:I realise that not everyone uses it, but for anyone who might be worried about the lack of Arnold rendering support for XSI into the future. This is part of an email to me from Marcos Fajardo, chief Architect of Arnold.

"Oh, and btw, we will continue to support SItoA for years, regardless of what happens with Softimage."
Isn't all it takes just the plugin?

Considering someone made LtoA(LightwaveToA) and it is available as a free 3rd party plugin... Nearly as feature complete as a official one.

My point is, the community of Softimage can pick it up if they ever stop the official plugin.

azurecgi
Posts: 171
Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by azurecgi » 03 Mar 2014, 15:03

Pooby wrote:I realise that not everyone uses it, but for anyone who might be worried about the lack of Arnold rendering support for XSI into the future. This is part of an email to me from Marcos Fajardo, chief Architect of Arnold.

"Oh, and btw, we will continue to support SItoA for years, regardless of what happens with Softimage."
I just hope we get a similar response from Chaos Group :( I'm not so sure though seeing as progress on Softimage versions of Vray has been painfully slow anyway!
Last edited by azurecgi on 03 Mar 2014, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Rork » 03 Mar 2014, 15:06

True.

There's even a version for Blender around (BtoA), and for Houdini (HtoA) as well.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
ThomasHelzle
Posts: 64
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:02
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by ThomasHelzle » 03 Mar 2014, 15:07

adrencg wrote:I'm not going to delude myself. I need to move on eventually, and I've been using Modo quite a bit for the last 3 years, and I even want to go back to my roots -- Lightwave.

But I can easily go another 4 years with Softimage.
Not the worst idea really. Lighwave is getting pretty good once more. While Modeller is still the same old mess, Layout is what I went back to in the end as well. My old XSI 2012 and Moment of Inspiration for Modelling (and as a future ICE-Replacement ;-) http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6514.1 ).

Thea Render is my main renderer for unbiased high-end stills...

Newtek is okay as a company once more since Rob Powers took over, MoIs Michael Gibson is fantastic, as is Theas Ioannis Pantazopoulos. Passionate People you can rely on. Fair prices. Little to no bullshit.

Modo, after an initial fascination just didn't really click for me in the end. The layered shader system it nice for 10 Materials but basically a non-debuggable mess with 100. The modelling is too close to Lightwave for my taste, has no history and after using XSI for so long feels just clunky. Many of the new features in 601 did never really work and weren't fixed in 5 service packs. I didn't bother to update after that. I only use it for it's collada export for one specific engine...
The whole software feels done by people who are overly fascinated by thinking complicated...
Not my world :-)

YMMV of course.

Cheers,

Tom
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on 03 Mar 2014, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

azurecgi
Posts: 171
Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by azurecgi » 03 Mar 2014, 15:17

Rork wrote:True.

There's even a version for Blender around (BtoA), and for Houdini (HtoA) as well.
I can't see anything about a Blender version! I don't think I could bring myself to spend £875 on a single license of a renderer for a free 3D package!

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Rork » 03 Mar 2014, 15:20

Why not, there V-Ray for Blender too.....?

A free Blender doesn't need to be ALL free stuff, does it??

The Blender<>Arnold connector is invite only AFAIK...
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by angus_davidson » 03 Mar 2014, 15:27

azurecgi wrote:
Rork wrote:True.

There's even a version for Blender around (BtoA), and for Houdini (HtoA) as well.
I can't see anything about a Blender version! I don't think I could bring myself to spend £875 on a single license of a renderer for a free 3D package!
Well the theory is that if you save on the main 3d app , you can afford to spend more on plugins / render software. Hoping for a MotoA myself.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

User avatar
Cacoman
Posts: 81
Joined: 02 Aug 2010, 21:11

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Cacoman » 03 Mar 2014, 16:44

The same statement about still continue supporting Softimage no matter what, has been made by the Redshift team in their forums.
To create something that does not exist, to exist.

adrencg
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by adrencg » 03 Mar 2014, 18:28

ThomasHelzle wrote:
adrencg wrote:I'm not going to delude myself. I need to move on eventually, and I've been using Modo quite a bit for the last 3 years, and I even want to go back to my roots -- Lightwave.

But I can easily go another 4 years with Softimage.
Not the worst idea really. Lighwave is getting pretty good once more. While Modeller is still the same old mess, Layout is what I went back to in the end as well. My old XSI 2012 and Moment of Inspiration for Modelling (and as a future ICE-Replacement ;-) http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6514.1 ).

Thea Render is my main renderer for unbiased high-end stills...

Newtek is okay as a company once more since Rob Powers took over, MoIs Michael Gibson is fantastic, as is Theas Ioannis Pantazopoulos. Passionate People you can rely on. Fair prices. Little to no bullshit.

Modo, after an initial fascination just didn't really click for me in the end. The layered shader system it nice for 10 Materials but basically a non-debuggable mess with 100. The modelling is too close to Lightwave for my taste, has no history and after using XSI for so long feels just clunky. Many of the new features in 601 did never really work and weren't fixed in 5 service packs. I didn't bother to update after that. I only use it for it's collada export for one specific engine...
The whole software feels done by people who are overly fascinated by thinking complicated...
Not my world :-)

YMMV of course.

Cheers,

Tom
All of these Modo problems you mentioned are my problems too...but that renderer. Damn it just looks so nice.

ombra
Posts: 7
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 15:38

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by ombra » 03 Mar 2014, 19:48

I Dont know you guys but i am not able to find any jobs for my skills in Softimage, after 10 years expiriance, all company ask to me Maya 90 percent . I try to transfert my skills on maya but took ages and i am not production ready if need to change software. This is big problem!
In london all studios that used xsi move on maya ther are only 3 or 5 that use xsi .

:-\

Alex

cgcris
Posts: 24
Joined: 04 Sep 2013, 10:13

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by cgcris » 03 Mar 2014, 19:57

Hi Thomas, what do you use mainly now?

User avatar
ThomasHelzle
Posts: 64
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:02
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by ThomasHelzle » 03 Mar 2014, 20:47

cgcris wrote:Hi Thomas, what do you use mainly now?
Depends on the job really. Last year I did a huge still for an exhibition - 20432 x 14526 pixels - that worked great in Lightwaves own renderer. Modelling in XSI, MoI and LW Modeller/LWCad. DOF in AE/Frischluft. Post in Lightroom.
http://www.design4audio.de/home/bazille/

Just recently I worked on a big set of renderings of Sculptures with very complicated multi-coated surfaces. I got the CAD files from the Customer, converted and finetuned them in MoI to polygons where possible. Some I had to re-model and UV-Map which I did in XSI and then I rendered those models in Thea, which has a fantastic surfacing system for such materials, the best network rendering in the history of mankind and never crashed in weeks. :-)

So for "standard-rendering" and NPR I use Lightwave, for high-end Thea, for NURBS MoI and for Polygons XSI.

But other than most people here I don't really do film work anymore, so I'm not a representative sample.
I enjoy working directly with customers most, on smaller, human-scaled stuff, even better if it's complicated/interesting/varied - I'm easily bored... ;-)

But if LW can solve the Modeller problem, I'd say it's a good solution once again for smaller studios.

Some good plugins to be had:
http://www.jawset.com/
http://www.3rdpowers.com/
http://www.wtools3d.com/
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/main_en.htm This guy alone doubles the usefulness of LW.

Of course it's not ICE, but nodes can be used almost everywhere and bit by bit it's growing, instancing is working very well, VPR is better than Modos (IMHO) - I personally would take LWs renderer any day over MentalRay (which I thankfully haven't used in years).. You can have integrated Octane and Arnold, import/export is getting better...
I know most of it's shortcomings too, but so far I had no showstoppers and the community is still as great as ever.

Cheers,

Tom

Morgan Nilsson
Posts: 9
Joined: 25 Feb 2014, 20:02

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Morgan Nilsson » 03 Mar 2014, 21:02

ThomasHelzle wrote:
cgcris wrote:Hi Thomas, what do you use mainly now?
Depends on the job really. Last year I did a huge still for an exhibition - 20432 x 14526 pixels - that worked great in Lightwaves own renderer. Modelling in XSI, MoI and LW Modeller/LWCad. DOF in AE/Frischluft. Post in Lightroom.
http://www.design4audio.de/home/bazille/

Just recently I worked on a big set of renderings of Sculptures with very complicated multi-coated surfaces. I got the CAD files from the Customer, converted and finetuned them in MoI to polygons where possible. Some I had to re-model and UV-Map which I did in XSI and then I rendered those models in Thea, which has a fantastic surfacing system for such materials, the best network rendering in the history of mankind and never crashed in weeks. :-)

So for "standard-rendering" and NPR I use Lightwave, for high-end Thea, for NURBS MoI and for Polygons XSI.

But other than most people here I don't really do film work anymore, so I'm not a representative sample.
I enjoy working directly with customers most, on smaller, human-scaled stuff, even better if it's complicated/interesting/varied - I'm easily bored... ;-)

But if LW can solve the Modeller problem, I'd say it's a good solution once again for smaller studios.

Some good plugins to be had:
http://www.jawset.com/
http://www.3rdpowers.com/
http://www.wtools3d.com/
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/main_en.htm This guy alone doubles the usefulness of LW.

Of course it's not ICE, but nodes can be used almost everywhere and bit by bit it's growing, instancing is working very well, VPR is better than Modos (IMHO) - I personally would take LWs renderer any day over MentalRay (which I thankfully haven't used in years).. You can have integrated Octane and Arnold, import/export is getting better...
I know most of it's shortcomings too, but so far I had no showstoppers and the community is still as great as ever.

Cheers,

Tom
Out of curiosity what would be LightWaves modeler problem?

gdebello
Posts: 46
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 13:39
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by gdebello » 03 Mar 2014, 21:17

Morgan Nilsson wrote:Out of curiosity what would be LightWaves modeler problem?
As long as you LWCad and can use a modeler that has no manipulators, working in Modeller is fine. A bit different approach to tumbling in the viewport but that is customizable. We used Lightwave for a long time at my work but mostly use Softimage and Houdini in our currently workflow.

Modeller is a different approach, you work in layers and put everything together in Layout. Set up rigging in modeller and convert in Layout but I think that changed with LW 11.

Glen
I use Softimage for game development. Is there really anything else?
http://www.gdebello.blogspot.com

User avatar
ThomasHelzle
Posts: 64
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:02
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by ThomasHelzle » 03 Mar 2014, 21:51

Morgan Nilsson wrote:Out of curiosity what would be LightWaves modeler problem?
Well, several things.
- No History of any kind - a pure one-shot polygon modeller, so no extruding a spline and then modifying the spline.
- Bad Splines (LWCAD helps there as in many other areas).
- Totally non-connected tools. Literally hundreds of totally separate tiny tools each doing things slightly different.
- EdgeWeighting is very error-prone and Edges in general are only half supported since originally Modeller didn't have the concept.
- No axis handles and a clumsy way of restricting to one direction.
- Pretty bad snapping - helped again by LWCAD.
- High Poly models grind it to a halt.
- The probability of generating bad geometry is close to 100%. Single-point-polygons and two-point-polygons are fantastic concepts when you need them, but they get created all the time without you wanting it so you end up with a lot of crap you need to fix. I personally don't know a modeller where it's easier to create bad geometry.
- Since Modeller is separate, you loose all options of animated modelling. And you can't move points directly in Layout (without workarounds) so no point-animated splines etc.
- Lot's of other stuff...

For organic modelling it can still be pretty good, but for high poly and exact modelling it's pretty painful.

Some plugins help but the underlying principles make it still clunky.

Cheers,

Tom