What if Softimage died?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics

Softimage is unofficially dead what would you do ?

Poll ended at 05 Oct 2013, 11:10

Switch to Maya (including LT) / Max
13
14%
Continue using Softimage for a few years to come
59
61%
Blender
6
6%
Houdini
12
13%
Modo
2
2%
Other
4
4%
 
Total votes: 96

Eugen
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:40
Location: Vienna/Austria

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Eugen » 27 Feb 2014, 20:30

FabricPaul wrote:
FabricPaul (you know this is just fooling around), why not start some fundraising yourself for the ultimate-Softimage's-heir-3d application?
I thought I already did that ;)
Really? Ok... maybe your wording was too humble, but I did not see you advertise Fabric as a complete standalone kickass dcc application - which I hope it will become some day soon.
And you never asked your potential users for donations in advance, did you? If you're doing fine without, the better. ;}

FabricPaul
Posts: 188
Joined: 21 Mar 2012, 14:17

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by FabricPaul » 27 Feb 2014, 20:56

*edit: Fabric is very much a platform targeted at people looking to build tools. Now that the platform is maturing, we're able to start thinking about deeper functionality. The 2.0 release will make some moves in that direction, so expect to hear a lot of noise from us about that in early summer. There are also things coming through in the next 1-2 months that will make you sit up and take notice (I hope!).

It's early days yet - but Fabric runs standalone (as well as the integrated route through the Splice API) and has a lot of strong components in place (or coming soon). We're not targeting complete artist workflows or trying to build a complete DCC - but that's mainly because of the reality of modern pipelines and the cost of producing such a thing (with no evidence that it would be successful). What customers repeatedly told us when we had only a standalone approach was "can't you make this work inside of Max/Maya/Softimage" - to be a viable alternative as a complete DCC you have to be at least as good as the alternatives in all regards. That's impossible for a new company that doesn't have millions in funding (and even then, I'd say it was still impossible).

When we started 4 years ago, kickstarter wasn't a thing. I've also seen a few crowd-funding DCC projects crater, so I'm not convinced that approach would ever work. We raised investment the more traditional way, which is necessary when building something like Fabric - we're now at the point where things are maturing and we're getting used in various productions (thanks to early adopters like Hybride and MPC). What we need are people getting involved and pushing on the framework and telling us what they need - our list is getting busier and busier, which is great. By all means sign up and contribute: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum ... onplatform

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Rez007 » 27 Feb 2014, 22:12

Is there a chance that maybe only Softimage Standalone might be discontinued? Maybe Softimage might only be available in the Suites...I have no idea, but canning it totally would mean less Suites sold. Some licenses of Suites sell because of Softimage inside. Just an idea that came to mind, if so, maybe it would be like that until it slowly fades away, which I hope it doesn't.

I think this is something that should tell a story, and quite frankly a little surprised that this blew over so easy when it first came to light (unless I missed the conversations as I was off for a while...)

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1746722 ... g-autodesk

I didn't register to to finish reading the entire article, so you can take it as you want. However, why would they be selling so much shares? Pure speculation, but maybe they know something is coming done the pipes that will hit AD's value...then rebuy the shares when the dust clears. They are already telling people that you can no longer upgrade your products in a couple of months if not on Subs, you will have to buy a new license for that. Just seems like a lot of crap happening all at once. Hopefully, they don't get rid of Softimage entirely, and maybe it is just a selling change to Suites only...
Last edited by Rez007 on 27 Feb 2014, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

FabricPaul
Posts: 188
Joined: 21 Mar 2012, 14:17

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by FabricPaul » 27 Feb 2014, 22:15

I think if you look at the price AD stock has been hitting recently, the decision to sell shares is just because the market is good - I honestly don't think it's anything sinister.

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Rez007 » 27 Feb 2014, 22:43

You are probably right, and I am not saying I think it is something "sinister" but it could be something that might lower it, maybe not by a lot, but something enough to make them sell a large percent of their shares. If they had prospects that something in 2014 would skyrocket their value, I doubt they would even sell a share. But then again, you could be entirely right, just a normal sell off. Just all of those high-ranking employees/investors in a 30 day period selling a very large chunk of their percent is a little intriguing...
Last edited by Rez007 on 27 Feb 2014, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by MauricioPC » 27 Feb 2014, 22:53

While rumors are running and scaring users ... at the Autodesk Cave, our PM is ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Letterbox
Posts: 391
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Letterbox » 28 Feb 2014, 01:25

FabricPaul wrote:I don't want to rain on your parade, but why would Autodesk want to enable a competitor? They acquired Maya and Softimage so that they owned the majority of the 3D market. The premise of stopping Soft would be in part on a transition of users to Maya. If they then sell Softimage (which, without selling developers along with it, would be nigh-on impossible to do) then they are ensuring that those users wouldn't move, and in the future they'd have customers looking at moving to 'new Soft' and away from Maya. There is no business rationale for selling Softimage at all.
Don't want to reign on your parade either Paul, but your comments don't quite add up, specifically if you run the numbers and look at the trends in dcc development, specifically from a user perspective.

It is a long reply, but I wanted it to covers all aspects of the +/-'s of the whole selling argument, from expectations – on both sides, as well profitability, and alternative investments.


Let's assume AD sold xsi for 10million, with developers, as you've rightly said they'd have to, and we agreed to let them use with no royalties, all of the patents freely.

We'd still have to turn the product and the user base around. ie accepting some shrinkage in users, but assuming a committed core not leaving. We'd estimate that to be another 10 million to achieve that goal.

So with that 20 million, and constant staff salaries, you'd automatically by default be committing to a subscription scenario. And at the current user base numbers that's going to take a long while to repay, unless you could leverage the interest that's still out there into hard sales, knowing that too adds to costs. So there is absolutely no chance of lowering the product price (let alone possible external royalties costs, mr etc, which we'd have to strip out), and without lowering the price, you're looking at a smaller constant user base, and so less return income, so profitability is going to take much longer to achieve.

Let's not forget that too we'd have to develop or add new features from external companies, every year, that's going to cost too. Even if we did turn it around and develop new features, it's a given that all Maya/Max users are going to ask for is those features in Maya/Max, they are not going to change over.

In fact that's a positive for selling it!! As we'd be doing the r&d of what users want and don't incorporated for AD products for free. (see the trends in transliteration below* ) Because in reality if we did incorporate some perceived new 'hot' feature all of those AD users would bleet for it for maya/max, just like they have for ice. And clearly not only in xsi, but max and maya, the comments from the user base has been one consistently of better development practices, better tools, resolutions to issues, all across the board. Which have yet to show any fruition after the move to agile development. I doubt that it ever will. So better they have someone to copy from, if that makes maya/max users happy – who cares where the idea (patents aside) comes from.

Realistically and because of the vast numbers of maya / max users, and specifically the film industry / Arch vis and their commitment to their products is not going to change, unless they are seriously forced out, people are stubborn like that, they dont like change. So for the majority, they are not going to move from maya nor max, irrespective of what is done to xsi or what feature set is added, all they'll do is urge AD to duplicate the feature set into their product of choice.

*That's clearly already done by users right now, look at vimeo, where people see a cinema4d/houdini user development, and other xsi/max/maya users transliterate it into usage for their product, and vice versa. That is happening more and more, transliteration of feature sets. Examples: Soup for maya, as well as ice style USER development in progress for both Maya, Max and even Blender. Let alone the Think particles / ice / Houdini and all types of other examples on vimeo.

Further to assume that all xsi users will migrate to another one of AD products, is well just that an assumption, and a risky one at that, there are alternatives to anything AD has to offer, if only because of transliteration, so one had better assume a low number of migrants, as well as given the historical issues of the product perceived by the users. Unless they (AD) are prepared to take a beating on price, and that's one thing I don't see happening, it a dangerous assumption to make. Possibly the migration of direct product swaps and subscription costs from one product to another is though a possibility in the future, as over the last few years there has been a calculated equalization of the differences in subscription costs, which make the process easier as the value is constant.

The reality of any external company with those challenges that I've outlined, would not make any significant threat to neither Maya nor Max, as along as one realises that one is not going to make money hand over fist, it would take appropriate skills to manage xsi development, and it would take some time to achieve, something that is always directly at odds with user expectations, elevating their doubts, and potentially creating a smaller and smaller user base.

Given that, we'd assume the user base would initially shrink - but could be sustainable, if users are willing to pay the price, and assist constructively in the development of the product. Even if we did succeed in making it a better product, which there is no guarantee, but that very size of the reduced core user base would have a negligible impact on AD business now or in the future.

Countering those very arguments above about selling, is the role of any ceo to reduce competition, and calculating what the cost of acquisition and termination or rather phased reduction costs vs the capital outlay, not only in migration, but in profits and goodwill too. But also important for AD to evaluate is the ever shrinking internal development, and the necessitate the more costly outside acquisitions. So selling does create a potential for zero threat, zero cost development ideas. Also Goodwill, customer satisfactions, consumer relations, PR, whatever you want to call it, is all to often forgotten, nor calculated, as the company offers you a new product in one hand while forcibly taking from the other.

It should come to no surprise to anyone that AD has been doing this since before the acquisition of xsi, with its abandonment of upgrade offers, with it's forced subscriptions, and now with it's 2015 notice of intent. With it's less than stellar interest in freelancers, they clearly have been and will continue to reduce that market to what they perceive as a core set of dedicated professionals and companies, that to be honest couldn't care less about the cost of subscriptions, as to them that's a cost of business and one that can be factored into the cost of their end products for their users or clients. And in that I do agree with them develop a customer base that can easily accommodate subscription costs, it leads for you a more stable business, and a more stable dependable revenue stream, it's their methodology I don't agree with, and it's why people don't like them.

But alternatively one could invest that same 20million+ in specific social media developments, and as it stands today potentially gain significant better return on one's investment, in less time, than any dcc or any product in this field offers.

Consider that you have seen AD in parallel follow that route too, with the vast social media user base potentials even a 10% synergy and thus sale in any AD product combined with social media, can significantly improve the profitability of that product, far faster, with far less effort that turning something around (notwithstanding an antagonist user base.)

Isn't that exactly what shareholders want more of now, quicker profitability, more synergy and a larger customer base.


So maybe more the question is not why they would sell, but why would you invest?


I know it was a long reply, but I wanted it to covers all aspects of the +/-'s of the whole selling argument, from expectations – on both sides, as well profitability, development issues and alternative investments.


Irrespective of the content of which I tried to show major point from all sides; and Irrespective of what may or may not happen - I hope that the future for you ALL - is one that's exciting, challenging and prosperous.

Au revoir.

ps Eugen
Anyone knows the AD chain of command from the inside? Who are the people that make decisions like this? Did they ever really sit in front of any DCC apps?

Senior decisions are made in San Rafael - the corp hq. The ones that can bring their dogs to work. For the most part getting excel and powerpoint and working the large monitor is all you need. Credit to Carl Bass, some software he does use.

User avatar
Superpositivo
Posts: 123
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Superpositivo » 28 Feb 2014, 02:50

One thing I always wondered is something Mark Schoennagel wrote a couple of years ago, while we were waiting for the first "new team" release of Softimage (copy/paste from his blog):

- "...I can promise you there will be some pretty impressive, BIG features in 2014 so hang in there..."

- "...Im really impressed with the Singapore team, some very talented people are anxious to prove themselves!!..."

- "...Im sincere when I say the Singapore team impresses me. I had a roadmap discussion and saw what was on the map for 2014 and beyond and its all good stuff.
And yes, I cross my heart lol..."

- "...the team in Singapore are already doing some amazing work on the next release. I think you’ll all be pleasantly surprised by what the team is going to deliver in 2014 so stay tuned and hope to see you at the show!! Ok back to RedBull and Sofitmage. :)..."

We know what happened and what seems to happen.
So the question is : where the fuck can I get the same Red Bull he was drinking?.. I want to see the same things!...

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Maximus » 28 Feb 2014, 03:09

Superpositivo wrote:One thing I always wondered is something Mark Schoennagel wrote a couple of years ago, while we were waiting for the first "new team" release of Softimage (copy/paste from his blog):

- "...I can promise you there will be some pretty impressive, BIG features in 2014 so hang in there..."

- "...Im really impressed with the Singapore team, some very talented people are anxious to prove themselves!!..."

- "...Im sincere when I say the Singapore team impresses me. I had a roadmap discussion and saw what was on the map for 2014 and beyond and its all good stuff.
And yes, I cross my heart lol..."

- "...the team in Singapore are already doing some amazing work on the next release. I think you’ll all be pleasantly surprised by what the team is going to deliver in 2014 so stay tuned and hope to see you at the show!! Ok back to RedBull and Sofitmage. :)..."

We know what happened and what seems to happen.
So the question is : where the fuck can I get the same Red Bull he was drinking?.. I want to see the same things!...
Its called marketing not red bull ;))

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by MauricioPC » 28 Feb 2014, 03:19

Maximus wrote:
Superpositivo wrote:One thing I always wondered is something Mark Schoennagel wrote a couple of years ago, while we were waiting for the first "new team" release of Softimage (copy/paste from his blog):

- "...I can promise you there will be some pretty impressive, BIG features in 2014 so hang in there..."

- "...Im really impressed with the Singapore team, some very talented people are anxious to prove themselves!!..."

- "...Im sincere when I say the Singapore team impresses me. I had a roadmap discussion and saw what was on the map for 2014 and beyond and its all good stuff.
And yes, I cross my heart lol..."

- "...the team in Singapore are already doing some amazing work on the next release. I think you’ll all be pleasantly surprised by what the team is going to deliver in 2014 so stay tuned and hope to see you at the show!! Ok back to RedBull and Sofitmage. :)..."

We know what happened and what seems to happen.
So the question is : where the fuck can I get the same Red Bull he was drinking?.. I want to see the same things!...
Its called marketing not red bull ;))
Problem is ... when something like right now happens, the credibility is hurt badly and to recover it a very hard and time consuming ordeal. As long as Softimage work and 3ds Max with it's plugins work, I'm ok ... but when the time comes and there's only Maya, I'll go to other software. :D

-- EDIT --

Whatever happens, I just hope that the community never fades. There are some amazing artists here and some nice conversations.

I've been following other communities as well ... and when I say I don't like the Modo one, oh well, today there were a bunch of idiots criticizing Bulgarov's work on Robocop. Come on ... some guys there can't even model a sphere and are talking about his concepts. It seems like if you don't use Modo (crash-piece-of-crap), than you don't know how to work.

Oh well, rant mode off, time to slep. Tomorrow will be a bright day. :P

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Nizar » 28 Feb 2014, 08:08

Mark Schoennagel is a liar, a big liar. Lie to customers is not marketing, and he is not the only liar inside ADSK.

About acquiring softimage and make it open, as I said is more a dream, but again, why don't give a try? Can we lost something?

A open source Softimage will have more users, the users base will not shrink, at all, is exactly the contrary. The best example is blender, users base is enormous, 300 and more people donate monthly, many others donate not on regular base and others buy tutorials, dvd and books on blender foundation, also Blender foundation using european founding for not commercial software and Google summer of code contribute every year with developing. But need organization, not simple at all.

Userbase, in this hypothetical scenario will be bigger, I'm sure about. Everyone would give a try to softimage and downloading and trying it. Softimage is well know like a big commercial software, and having it for free is a winning deal, also softimage will not suffer by the free software stigmata like now Blender (many people don't know blender was a commercial software)

Is not simple, softimage open will need a sort of Softimage Foundation, and we need at least one developers well knowing softimage code driving it, a serious structure and rise up a collaborative team around the world, again blender is the best (and actually the lone) example of a 3d open source successfully project. Softimage open will be without Mental Ray, but if you really like MR can buy it external.

I understood perfectly is not smart move for ADSK (hey, they prefer Maya, so smart?) having a so big competitor free, but like explained by Letterbox is not so bad for ADSK selling softimage, shareholders want money soon and EOL softimage will not give a single cents, so why don't selling? They have just and retain the team, the real, interesting part in buying softimage, the code seems practical without use (according to Luc-Eric is a no go).

Hirazi, please, why don't start a poll here and invite also the softimage mailing list users? Your english is better and you, I'm sure, can explain better the idea.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Feb 2014, 08:39

@Nizar - your remark about Mark isn't very nice! (edit: changed my initial comment)

Realistically it will be hard enough to keep the current community more or less alive, even without following unlikely (IMHO) dreams... Keeping the community alive for as long as possible is something I am willing to invest time and energy in, though...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Rork » 28 Feb 2014, 10:58

Nizar,

Mark is/was an AD employee, so under NDA for any future developments or roadmaps.
Also keep in mind big companies like AD change their minds like the wind, so at that point in time there maybe was a positive roadmap.

Have a look at what AD developed or bought and killed in the last 6 years or so. That already tells a lot about their decision making......

No need for name calling...... [-x
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Nizar » 28 Feb 2014, 11:23

Sorry, understand what you mean. Mark don't read this forum (probably), but I still want to apologize. To my partial defence, however, I ask him to understand how anyone can react to day remembering his words.

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by angus_davidson » 28 Feb 2014, 11:41

Nizar wrote:Sorry, understand what you mean. Mark don't read this forum (probably), but I still want to apologize. To my partial defence, however, I ask him to understand how anyone can react to day remembering his words.
You can imgaine how Livid I was when we went over to softimage. Mark came to visit us and we made it very clear that one of the reasons we chose softimage was to move away from Autodesk. They smiled signed the contract and they were an Autodesk company before we got out Licences.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

FabricPaul
Posts: 188
Joined: 21 Mar 2012, 14:17

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by FabricPaul » 28 Feb 2014, 12:25

As an application specialist, Mark has never been part of the M&E Division - application specialists are part of the sales group. He would have been sharing what he had been shown/told by people from division, so he is not at fault here. Mark is Softimage to his core and I am sure the past 5-6 years have been as bad for him to see as they have been bad for anyone here to experience. Honestly, he doesn't deserve to be the target of anyone's ire.

Angus - with regard to the acquisition by AD, very few people knew about it until the day it was announced. I'm including senior directors at Softimage in this - there were rumours around Siggraph but nobody knew anything for sure. Most people in the company heard about it on the day it was announced. So again - neither Mark nor your sales rep would have known anything when they came on-site.