MauricioPC wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 21:24
I'm working in Production now for VFX. Because of the writer strike, things are weird in Canada/US right now. I haven't done actual 3D since the EoL of Softimage. Started to get my feet wet with Modo again.
I'm personally still looking for work (in comp),
but there is literally -nothing- to even apply TO.
( other than a few "lead" or "supervising" positions )
Also not just here, and not just in comp ..
And I agree with "weird", because it went from ~10 openings
(which is NOT alot ... as there use to be some ~30+ openings at any given time )
.. to basically 0 in May ( when the strike started )
But as someone else pointed out ... "writing" is but the very first step in "production", and is often handled by directors themselves and maybe a few others for "filling",
or to add "comedy writing" for jokes.
But nevertheless, IF the "joblessness" in VFX ( affecting 100's of jobs ) was actually about the strike,
there would have been a considerable delay until it affected "post-production",
normally happening after at least a number of shots have been filmed,
which can take from several months to sometimes 2 years before any post even starts.
Leading some to believe that studios may have "used" the strike to do some layoffs,
which can easily be put on "the strike".
Also because that producers are barely phased by "the disruptions",
while have only been delaying any "resolution" literally saying (something like)
"we'll hold until people would start loosing their apartments/homes"
( I have a link to the actual quote from the strike wikipage, will post later )
But it's perhaps in part to use this "opportunity" to further expand operations in already existing studios in Mumbai, Bangalore, and other places where the relative cost of living is but a fraction of any western country,
( 2$ an hour, can be considered a "good salary" if the norm is but 1$/h )
and which haven't at-all been "slowed-down" ( still training and looking for artists )
In any event ... I sure hope that it's indeed "due to the strike",
which would mean that it would be a "phase" ... rather than "a transition".
And/or that "striking" and/or "unionizing" wouldn't just push companies away,
to wherever skilled labor would be cheaper anyway.
( would have to be an "international Union" to have any meaning ...
and to also cover people in India sometimes doing some 12-16h Days ! )
Although call me a "pessimist"
but I would still have a hard time trusting this new "international Union"
for some reason (lol), if it ever came to be ... but nothing is "easy" lol
But anyhoo, for me, I personally don't quite know what to do ...
( more than a year and a half since my last "gig", while out of money lol )
Kind-of dabbling in Unreal to MAYBE start doing things in games.... ( or "virtual sets" )
... while not to keen on switching fields ONCE AGAIN
( took over 1 year to get my first -freelance- job in Comp after making more than 1 reel )
While also contemplating-on quitting "production" altogether,
(looking for work in whatever, while training in something )
also because of the "volatility" or "impermanence",
if not sometimes some amounts of "bullshit" (lol) in "production work" .
( I would still do it if there was actually opening out there, despite some occasional BS,
and/or sometimes 6 or 7 day weeks of 10h long days, I love what I do regardless lol )