Unreal Engine for free
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Unreal Engine for free
Here we go!
It's funny as I discussed the move to real-time engines for rendering etc. just a couple of days ago...
It does and will make sense for a large group of content creators, and the fast advances in lighting solutions for real-time engines will only speed things up.
It will be very interesting to see where all this is going.
It does and will make sense for a large group of content creators, and the fast advances in lighting solutions for real-time engines will only speed things up.
It will be very interesting to see where all this is going.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
Re: Unreal Engine for free
I have been working on a realtime animation not unlike this with UE4 and Blender(really Bforartists) for something in development. I can say.. I was pumping out frames with more foilage instances than Blender could handle in it's viewport along with SSS leaves and shadows and all rendering it all out in 2K with no noise within an hour, and having maybe 15fps with NO material instancing (didn't know about it at the time) seeing what I would get. We were trying to render out the characters and props to comp back in using Cycles.. and it was nearly 45 min per frame with a number of optimized passes and denoising on a AWS server render farm, no set included. I could breath with the realtime workflows... and now I'm piping the charaters to UE4 completely, including realtime fur.
To be honest, for me.. UE4 makes 3D quite fun yet again.
To be honest, for me.. UE4 makes 3D quite fun yet again.
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Unreal Engine for free
Nice to hear that Draise. I know of instance benefit, but do you make changes in material in the original material or in instanced material?
-
sant0s
- Posts: 353
- Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 20:57
- Location: São Pedro de Moel
Re: Unreal Engine for free
Here is one more.
I wonder, if the hard DOF in some scenes is a limitation in the UE4?
Anyway, cazy:
I wonder, if the hard DOF in some scenes is a limitation in the UE4?
Anyway, cazy:
-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
Re: Unreal Engine for free
What is hard DOF?
I noticed a little shadow rustling for low mapping samples, but it looks mighty worthy for quick productions.
I noticed a little shadow rustling for low mapping samples, but it looks mighty worthy for quick productions.
-
sant0s
- Posts: 353
- Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 20:57
- Location: São Pedro de Moel
Re: Unreal Engine for free
When you check at 00:17 - the leaves in front.
I think the Dof there is "hard", or some how not nicly blured.
I think the Dof there is "hard", or some how not nicly blured.
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Unreal Engine for free
Yes, there are some hard transitions from DOF to no DOF. I have no idea if this is a limitation of the Editor, or just something that was not set for the captures.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
Re: Unreal Engine for free
Ah... true. DOF in UE4 is a very manual process and hard to make like a real world camera, from my experience. There is a lot of control. It's probably human error with bad settings.
-
NNois
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33
Re: Unreal Engine for free
damn the Live from GDC NOW, shows off realtime raytracing, that's EPIC
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Unreal Engine for free
Yep, but w/ 4 Tesla GPU
-
NNois
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33
Re: Unreal Engine for free
Yes, that's just perfect for any realtime performances, obviously not really for gaming but we don't play we work !
-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
Re: Unreal Engine for free
That's ICE in the works, right there.
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Unreal Engine for free
Yep, hope they can improve on it.