Coping with the "depression"
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Coping with the "depression"
I've discussed this with owei, who owns the place and ultimately decides, obviously - a while back,
but there are no plans to shut the site in the near/immediate future,
but a lot would obviously depend on how active the community would remain to be...
I doubt this site to go on "indefinitively", but for now "we're good"...
;)
but there are no plans to shut the site in the near/immediate future,
but a lot would obviously depend on how active the community would remain to be...
I doubt this site to go on "indefinitively", but for now "we're good"...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
nDman
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 11 Jan 2013, 09:48
Re: Coping with the "depression"
I must start to make a backup of this forum 
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: Coping with the "depression"
Silo is not EOL, apparently, there is an update in the works. Perhaps that Steam version worked better than expected.
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Coping with the "depression"
Heard the same thing from Ant Ward who does quite a few tuts on Silo.luceric wrote:Silo is not EOL, apparently, there is an update in the works. Perhaps that Steam version worked better than expected.
Silo is stil an excellent tool for bashing out a quick volume to refine elsewhere. Reminds me a lot of Nendo back in the day. I have always thought it would make sense for Houdini to buy Silo and include it as a helper tool to cover their current large chink in their chainmail.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
mirkoj
- Posts: 205
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:26
- Skype: mirko-jankovic
Re: Coping with the "depression"
it doesn't have anything to do with coping.. just whenever I remember what they did.. I hate AD so much again all over again.
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Coping with the "depression"
I am very blessed to be married to the woman I am. When I was fuming over this she reminded me that Hate was destructive force that was solely reserved for the ear Nose and Throat specialist that doomed out eldest son to two years of being deaf and likely another 6 years of rehabilitation to try and fix his inner ear. Not to be wasted on people who showed the business acumen of a 3rd grader.mirkoj wrote:it doesn't have anything to do with coping.. just whenever I remember what they did.. I hate AD so much again all over again.
That being said I do realise that for others this is a very real issues because softimage is what allowed people to earn a living and as such has a very direct impact on their lives in the same way that ENT had on ours. There are a lot of parallels, but in the end the damage has been done and they best you can do is is make the best of what you have going forward. We have a new ENT, our boy can hear and is making progress. Likewise people will evaluate other options and eventually move off softimage. Once things regain a sense of normalcy I might finally loose the urge to reach done a certain person throat and pulls his balls out via his mouth.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
owei
- Administrator
- Posts: 840
- Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
- Location: Siegen/Germany
Re: Coping with the "depression"
Hey guys..
I´ve been busy on several things in the past weeks, so I just had a little time to think about what AD had done to me in particular. But each time I have to face the fact they degraded me to some kind of a junior artist, I get very angry every time...So, nothing changed here that much. I guess for me as having some major work in VFX, Houdini seems to be thing. But I will have to find the time to learn and dive into it, beside the fact that I will have to earn money with stuff in Softimage. So in fact, AD will steal time and money from me and being in the mid forties it´s not getting easier to learn new stuff, beside fact that most 2si alternatives" feel like a step backward than evolving.
Si-sommunity will last as long it´s frequented enough and I can pay it. As the donations are close to nothing, I don´t know how long this will work... ;) All my attempts to fit in some advertising failed because of my very lean html skills... ;)
cheers,
oli
I´ve been busy on several things in the past weeks, so I just had a little time to think about what AD had done to me in particular. But each time I have to face the fact they degraded me to some kind of a junior artist, I get very angry every time...So, nothing changed here that much. I guess for me as having some major work in VFX, Houdini seems to be thing. But I will have to find the time to learn and dive into it, beside the fact that I will have to earn money with stuff in Softimage. So in fact, AD will steal time and money from me and being in the mid forties it´s not getting easier to learn new stuff, beside fact that most 2si alternatives" feel like a step backward than evolving.
Si-sommunity will last as long it´s frequented enough and I can pay it. As the donations are close to nothing, I don´t know how long this will work... ;) All my attempts to fit in some advertising failed because of my very lean html skills... ;)
cheers,
oli
Founder of www.si-community.com
http://www.pixelpanic.de
http://www.pixelpanic.de
-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
Re: Coping with the "depression"
I was in trueSpace when it died, well it was left for free, but when it died.. I stayed on it's forums and still remain active in it today, doing small projects with it, tint, low quality ones, enjoying the software and still learning it... it's my first love. There are a few that will still keep on using it as long as the OS supports it, and I will also. Fortunately it was left free. But nearly 5 years later after it's EOL, people still use it, even develop it where they can (with some ducktape) with the like. It's not the most flexible of software, and it was still in beta upgrade when released when EOL'd, thus not the most stable, but with some javascript and python nodal systems with limited 32bit like procedural access to all elements in the DirectX9 shader viewport and modeling capabilities - and some limited access to the SDK, people have done some upgrading, with 3 unofficial updates ;). I see SI much more powerful with a much better futureproof platform to keep it developing and strong, mostly thirdparty, or even in ICE. It will keep being a competitor to everyone for many years to come even after it's EOL - well considering features and functionality.
So yeah, keep at it in the forums, support our amazing third party developers, and keep making things with it like a pro.
No need to move on and jump ship entirely, I mean, yeah, SI has no sculpting, but if SI can't do it, then find that specific software that does it well.. but if they don't, well this ship still isn't keeled yet - well as far as your licenses go. ;)
So considering myself, still a learner, and the seats that I may have in my studio with it, it might not be expandable after 2016, but it certainly is no less competition to anyone else here in my city, and I still haven't learnt the full magic SI has as possibility for near endless creativity. And now at least I know there is a ceiling of what I can learn and do with the seats I'd have - and from what I see, it still is a very very very high ceiling.
So yeah, keep at it in the forums, support our amazing third party developers, and keep making things with it like a pro.
No need to move on and jump ship entirely, I mean, yeah, SI has no sculpting, but if SI can't do it, then find that specific software that does it well.. but if they don't, well this ship still isn't keeled yet - well as far as your licenses go. ;)
So considering myself, still a learner, and the seats that I may have in my studio with it, it might not be expandable after 2016, but it certainly is no less competition to anyone else here in my city, and I still haven't learnt the full magic SI has as possibility for near endless creativity. And now at least I know there is a ceiling of what I can learn and do with the seats I'd have - and from what I see, it still is a very very very high ceiling.
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Coping with the "depression"
I was watching an episode of "24" the other day, and I believe it was AT&T that had a new commercial about connecting people and business. There was a section in that commercial that dealt with animation. What software was on the screens they were using...Maya? Nope....Max? Nope...Softimage? Yes it was! Amazing how now that it is being canceled, you see more and more Softimage related material...
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
nDman
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 11 Jan 2013, 09:48
Re: Coping with the "depression"
No depression here to cope with. I just started to learn ICE deeply 
-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Coping with the "depression"
Frankly I can cope relatively well with the software situation (which doesn't mean I am happy with it, BTW), juggling my time between working with Softimage and learning that other unnamed software (and still spending most of my time online). What I can’t really cope with is the speed at which this little community seems to be disintegrating. That this would happen eventually was quite obvious, that it would happen so soon is deeply frustrating.

Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Coping with the "depression"
Unfortunately even though commercial folks have 2 years to make a move the reality of it is that they need to spend the time they would normally be on sites like this, trying to get up to speed with what ever their firm is going to use. That normally means asking questions elsewhere.
Probably because of the time factor most discussions will move to the mailing list.
Probably because of the time factor most discussions will move to the mailing list.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Coping with the "depression"
I don't know the numbers for page views and how many people have been on or not. I know I have just been really busy with work so I was just unable to come on. There are probably other things that add to the less traffic - nicer weather, vacations, etc - and I am sure that finally knowing what the future holds, takes a toll on that as well. Also "drama" really spikes website traffic, and there isn't really any new drama to keep discussions going. Even if Autodesk would reverse decision and say Softimage is coming back, I have a feeling that thread would still be a lot shorter than the negative ones, just like the nightly news - you never hear "good" news, it is usually always bad.Hirazi Blue wrote:Frankly I can cope relatively well with the software situation (which doesn't mean I am happy with it, BTW), juggling my time between working with Softimage and learning that other unnamed software (and still spending most of my time online). What I can’t really cope with is the speed at which this little community seems to be disintegrating. That this would happen eventually was quite obvious, that it would happen so soon is deeply frustrating.
Nonetheless, this is still my favorite site, and it would be great to see more people posting again. And I still don't understand Autodesk's logic in cancelling Softimage (as much as I dislike analogies in this case, it would be the equivalent of Ford telling all of their customers that they only plan to make the Mustang and F150 from here on out, and everyone would have to use those or go somewhere else. A vehicle is just a mode of transportation to people from point A to B, but Ford knows that there are different tastes for different people.) Personally, I think it is some of the "higher-ups" in Autodesk that need to be replaced, and not Softimage...
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
NNois
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33
Re: Coping with the "depression"
well i don't think so... personaly the truth is i do work with softimage but i don't invest anymore, so don't need or breaking news about softimage or progressing with the software.
Sadly the only reason i reply here is because si-community is auto-opening with my browser...
But i have to admit than the testing of 2015 release of softimage is a joy, they do have worked and resolved a large bunch off small anoying things
Sadly the only reason i reply here is because si-community is auto-opening with my browser...
But i have to admit than the testing of 2015 release of softimage is a joy, they do have worked and resolved a large bunch off small anoying things
-
SamHowell
- Posts: 364
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
- Location: Birmingham
Re: Coping with the "depression"
I assume everyone has gone into survival mode and are eagerly scouring other forums and documents, desperately trying to make a decision on what to do with their future. Once that process is over a lot of people will still be using Softimage for the next few years and so will drift back with all the usual question and answers.Hirazi Blue wrote:What I can’t really cope with is the speed at which this little community seems to be disintegrating. That this would happen eventually was quite obvious, that it would happen so soon is deeply frustrating.