Lightwave offer

News concerning 3D DCC business
kat
Posts: 28
Joined: 06 Mar 2014, 04:25
Skype: djlithium

Re: Lightwave offer

Post by kat » 04 May 2014, 01:29

www.lightwave3d.com

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Lightwave offer

Post by angus_davidson » 05 May 2014, 08:51

kat wrote:Yes. They still make LightWave.... Jesus....
Seriously?
Hi Kat

Sadly there seems to be only one company that has done a worse job of publicising their software then Autodesk with Softimage and that is Newtek I am afraid. It is very much a prevalent perception. I have gotten the same response from quite a few people that I have spoken to during this transition time when trying to find out what their long term planning.

There is a lot of nice stuff in the new LW but the message just really isn't getting out there at all.

Kind regards

Angus
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

kat
Posts: 28
Joined: 06 Mar 2014, 04:25
Skype: djlithium

Re: Lightwave offer

Post by kat » 05 May 2014, 10:07

angus_davidson wrote:
kat wrote:Yes. They still make LightWave.... Jesus....
Seriously?
Hi Kat

Sadly there seems to be only one company that has done a worse job of publicising their software then Autodesk with Softimage and that is Newtek I am afraid. It is very much a prevalent perception. I have gotten the same response from quite a few people that I have spoken to during this transition time when trying to find out what their long term planning.

There is a lot of nice stuff in the new LW but the message just really isn't getting out there at all.

Kind regards

Angus
Well as Rob would say - They don't publish roadmaps. (I know, it sucks, I don't totally agree with it on all fronts, some but not all).
BTW, The LightWave Group while still owned by NewTek Inc. is very much independent of the main company that does the video stuff.

All I can say is LightWave is not going away and I'm very much looking forward to version 12.0 and beyond.

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Lightwave offer

Post by angus_davidson » 05 May 2014, 10:41

I dont think its about publishing roadmaps at all in Lightwaves case. People just need to be made aware that its still around and that its has great features in its currently shipping version.

Lightwave is very much the if a tree falls in a forest DCC.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Lightwave offer

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 May 2014, 10:45

angus_davidson wrote:Lightwave is very much the if a tree falls in a forest DCC.
Hey, that monicer belongs to Softimage and Softimage alone... :D
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Lightwave offer

Post by angus_davidson » 05 May 2014, 11:20

Hirazi Blue wrote:
angus_davidson wrote:Lightwave is very much the if a tree falls in a forest DCC.
Hey, that monicer belongs to Softimage and Softimage alone... :D
The difference is we have people in the forest with Softimage ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

kat
Posts: 28
Joined: 06 Mar 2014, 04:25
Skype: djlithium

Re: Lightwave offer

Post by kat » 05 May 2014, 11:31

Well we have a customer list for our training material (buying customers) thats rather large at Liberty3d.com and its a mere fraction of the lightwave user base, so... say whatever you want about trees in forests.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Lightwave offer

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 May 2014, 11:37

angus_davidson wrote: The difference is we have people in the forest with Softimage ;)
Yeah, I forgot: the mythical vast user base Softimage always had... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Lightwave offer

Post by luceric » 05 May 2014, 12:37

I liked this thread better when I thought someone was being snarky when they asked if Lightwave was still around. An luchifer's reply to that. ;)

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Lightwave offer

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 May 2014, 18:17

luceric wrote:I liked this thread better when I thought someone was being snarky when they asked if Lightwave was still around. An luchifer's reply to that. ;)
Indeed, luceric, "those were the days" :-j
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Nox
Posts: 108
Joined: 16 Apr 2013, 11:28

Re: Lightwave offer

Post by Nox » 10 May 2014, 10:27

Switching from EOLed XSI to LW is like changing Corvette C5 to Fiat Punto just because latest one is brand new and still produced.

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Lightwave offer

Post by Pancho » 10 May 2014, 11:07

Well, Modo at least would be a Skoda Fabia (which is actually quite a nice car), but I still rather imagine me driving my old Mercedes 200.