SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
-
calmasacow
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 15:53
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Something else that Modo has that Softimage doesn't is a material library that doesn't send the application in to the spinning do-nut of despair never to return. "until restarted of course"
Last edited by calmasacow on 27 Mar 2012, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Oh no, it's true, ATI cards won't work with CGFX shaderscalmasacow wrote:REALLY? the new view port CGFX? as in doesnt work on anything but nvidia CGFX?
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
its in the list of features:
Custom shaders and HQ shading can be seen at the same time
Hardware Renderer supports the High Quality option
HQV uses CGFX as an output and is therefore is graphic card dependent. There are environment variables set in the setenv.bat controlling the samples. Too many samples inside Softimage can crash your card – hence they are limited. Specifying higher values in Softimage, than those in the setenv will be ignored.
set XSI_HIGH_QUALITY_VIEWPORT_MAX_DOF_SAMPLES=8
set XSI_HIGH_QUALITY_VIEWPORT_MAX_AO_SAMPLES=8
set XSI_HIGH_QUALITY_VIEWPORT_MAX_REFLECT_SAMPLES=1
set XSI_HIGH_QUALITY_VIEWPORT_MAX_SHADOW_SAMPLES=8
Custom shaders and HQ shading can be seen at the same time
Hardware Renderer supports the High Quality option
HQV uses CGFX as an output and is therefore is graphic card dependent. There are environment variables set in the setenv.bat controlling the samples. Too many samples inside Softimage can crash your card – hence they are limited. Specifying higher values in Softimage, than those in the setenv will be ignored.
set XSI_HIGH_QUALITY_VIEWPORT_MAX_DOF_SAMPLES=8
set XSI_HIGH_QUALITY_VIEWPORT_MAX_AO_SAMPLES=8
set XSI_HIGH_QUALITY_VIEWPORT_MAX_REFLECT_SAMPLES=1
set XSI_HIGH_QUALITY_VIEWPORT_MAX_SHADOW_SAMPLES=8
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I think no, modo 501 was released about 14 months ago (or less, usually modo has a 16 months cycle).ActionArt wrote:Don't forget, from Modo 501 to 601 was two years! To be fair you'd have to add up all of SI's updates from 2011 to now...
agree about modo. Don't know about this SI release.Well it is easy to add a lot of features when you software is missing so many. That said this is one of the best SI releases in quite some time.
In any case, I see more energy and passion in Luxology (or is better marketing?)
first effect of Nvidia Mental Ray acquisition?Oh no, it's true, ATI cards won't work with CGFX shaders
-
calmasacow
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 15:53
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Screw that! Autodesk is by far their biggest customer. if Autodesk products were to drop MR it would be bankruptcy for them or at least for that division. Autodesk needs to seriously start putting the pressure on MR to start doing a little more than just maintaining the status quoNizar wrote:first effect of Nvidia Mental Ray acquisition?
-
ace63
- Posts: 176
- Joined: 07 Jun 2009, 10:30
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
It is beyond me why we don't get the same viewport as Maya/Max.
So how does it compare performance wise? It seems like it will take ages to convert the rendertrees on huge scenes.
So how does it compare performance wise? It seems like it will take ages to convert the rendertrees on huge scenes.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I think this viewport is a nice feature but I think is not so necessary (is nice, but really can't work without? Why people are so crazy about the viewport preview? A more strong, update mental ray integration is better IMO (don't know how is mental ray in this release) so we have a faster render region preview, or fully implemented Iray is not better?
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I don't think we can judge it until we test it on a modern graphics card. Why they didn't use a better one for the demo is beyond me.
I think the fact that it handles procedurals is fantastic!
And also big news for me...
It FINALLY supports color management. That is a real PITA if you use linear workflow now.
Don't forget there were a LOT of calls for viewport improvement. I'll be excited to try this.
Crowd sim on the other hand is a mystery to me. I never saw anyone ask for that. What the??
I think the fact that it handles procedurals is fantastic!
And also big news for me...
It FINALLY supports color management. That is a real PITA if you use linear workflow now.
Don't forget there were a LOT of calls for viewport improvement. I'll be excited to try this.
Crowd sim on the other hand is a mystery to me. I never saw anyone ask for that. What the??
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
there are limitations, but CGFX shaders do work on ATI
-
TwinSnakes007
- Posts: 316
- Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 14:00
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Good question, but shouldnt CgFX perform better since it's an nVidia library running on nVidia hardware? I mean, just like CUDA executes faster than OpenCL.So how does it compare performance wise? It seems like it will take ages to convert the rendertrees on huge scenes.
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Good question and one I asked too. Maybe Luceric could explain it better.ace63 wrote:It is beyond me why we don't get the same viewport as Maya/Max.
Thing is though, we can't just copy/paste the code from Max/Maya into Soft so it uses the same viewport, It actually took a while for Maya to do VP2 and the first release was more about performance over quality. Then over the following versions, they've gradually increased the quality. But Maya's VP2 isn't really a day to day working mode...yet, but I'm sure it will be. Same for Soft's HQV, for me this is a v1.0, alot of work has gone into getting it working and now it can only get better.
Ultimately, the work we undertake is influenced by customers. I sat in several meetings with Chinny presenting the roadmaps and ideas of features, gauging the feedback so the teams could prioritise the work.
-
Kzin
- Posts: 432
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
what about alembic support? is this dropped from 2013 release?
-
azurecgi
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
And the thing we really wanted was Crowd Simulation? Really? It does look impressive, but it's pretty niche isn't it? In 20 years of producing 3D animations, I've been asked to do this once!Bellsey wrote:Ultimately, the work we undertake is influenced by customers. I sat in several meetings with Chinny presenting the roadmaps and ideas of features, gauging the feedback so the teams could prioritise the work.
Also, I notice that Softimage, Maya and Max have all been 'upgraded' to Mental Ray 3.10, but there is no mention of faster, better or improved anything! Is it just a bug-fix version?
-
jamination
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 19:58
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
on crowd simulation, that was my reaction as well, where did this come from, of all the lists and such, I never saw it pop up. I think most likely the people who have the voice are obviously not coming from these forums.
Sadly as far as character animation is concerned I don't think Modo is there yet but I really really like their moxy. Modos updates remind me of the early days of max/maya/softimage, where the updates where huge and interesting. The updates from Autodesk are what you get from a company that owns most of the market and know the majority of their userbase can't pick up and leave, and the ones that can... well they can live without those people.
Sadly as far as character animation is concerned I don't think Modo is there yet but I really really like their moxy. Modos updates remind me of the early days of max/maya/softimage, where the updates where huge and interesting. The updates from Autodesk are what you get from a company that owns most of the market and know the majority of their userbase can't pick up and leave, and the ones that can... well they can live without those people.
Last edited by jamination on 27 Mar 2012, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions
Jamination Productions
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
maybe Maya and 3ds max people asked for it, so now they got Softimage to do it for them?
-
azurecgi
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
That comment would be funny is I didn't have a nagging suspicion that it's true!Maximus wrote:maybe Maya and 3ds max people asked for it, so now they got Softimage to do it for them?