SI Technology Previews
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SI Technology Previews
Well I think the age-old "the grass is always greener on the other side" applies here as well. So, personally, I'm not really all that impressed by the admittedly large number of mentions of Softimage in wishlist discussions on other software forums.
And whatever Softimage 2013 will bring, Autodesk obviously won't be able to please everyone. So fierce debate is preprogrammed, I'm afraid...
;)
And whatever Softimage 2013 will bring, Autodesk obviously won't be able to please everyone. So fierce debate is preprogrammed, I'm afraid...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
SreckoM
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
- Skype: srecko.micic
Re: SI Technology Previews
Yeah same analogy can be used here, I would like to have viewport same as in Modo, or deeper ICE modeling as in Houdini ....
- H -
-
bottleofram
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21
Re: SI Technology Previews
Our own News section is full of those same talks. Except, about other people's grass.TwinSnakes007 wrote:I thought this was funny, as I look around in various forums that talk about all the latest versions of software that have come out this year, a familiar name keeps popping up, one that I'm pleasantly surprised to see...."Softimage".
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SI Technology Previews
In only vaguely related news, (as I was not planning to open a GDC thread this year): Autodesk doesn't seem to even want to pretend to push the Entertainment Creation Premium Suites anymore: in the booth presentation schedule @ the GDC the main DCC workflow presentation goes by the name "Autodesk Digital Content Creation Workflow (Autodesk 3ds Max, Autodesk Maya, Autodesk MotionBuilder & Autodesk Mudbox)"...

PS If anybody else wants to open a GDC thread, be my guest, BTW ;)
PS If anybody else wants to open a GDC thread, be my guest, BTW ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: SI Technology Previews
Why don't see softimage?does mean softimage will have a separate, exclusive presentation?Hirazi Blue wrote:In only vaguely related news, (as I was not planning to open a GDC thread this year): Autodesk doesn't seem to even want to pretend to push the Entertainment Creation Premium Suites anymore: in the booth presentation schedule @ the GDC the main DCC workflow presentation goes by the name "Autodesk Digital Content Creation Workflow (Autodesk 3ds Max, Autodesk Maya, Autodesk MotionBuilder & Autodesk Mudbox)"...
PS If anybody else wants to open a GDC thread, be my guest, BTW ;)
-
SreckoM
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
- Skype: srecko.micic
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: SI Technology Previews
IMO forgot softimage, like last years. Seems AD marketing department didn't received the "news" about softimage acquisition...
-
bottleofram
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21
Re: SI Technology Previews
You guys dont get it. Softimage clearly doesnt belong there. If it was called Moftimage, maybe, but this way.... no way. Okay?
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: SI Technology Previews
LOLbottleofram wrote:If it was called Moftimage, maybe, but this way.... no way.
No.bottleofram wrote:Okay?
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: SI Technology Previews
In the last year or so, it seems that Autodesk desk has focused more on having customer presentations on the main theatre of our various show booths, that take up most of the time, which imo, I prefer as many people prefer to see what other people are doing. There are still some product presentations, but we also have side parts/pods of the booths where people can see the products etc. I'm doing one the pods this year, but some of the other guys including Mark are presenting on some of business partners booths, for example Intel, Nvidia, AMD, etc.Nizar wrote:Why don't see softimage?does mean softimage will have a separate, exclusive presentation?Hirazi Blue wrote:In only vaguely related news, (as I was not planning to open a GDC thread this year): Autodesk doesn't seem to even want to pretend to push the Entertainment Creation Premium Suites anymore: in the booth presentation schedule @ the GDC the main DCC workflow presentation goes by the name "Autodesk Digital Content Creation Workflow (Autodesk 3ds Max, Autodesk Maya, Autodesk MotionBuilder & Autodesk Mudbox)"...
PS If anybody else wants to open a GDC thread, be my guest, BTW ;)
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: SI Technology Previews
Thanks for your reply Bellsey, but don't understood (I'm not english). So softimage will be present or not in this manifestation? And if yes, why I don't reading anywhere "softimage" (or XSI)?
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: SI Technology Previews
The booth has a main theater, which is the schedule discussed above, and several smaller demonstration stations. Softimage and other products are on these other smaller demonstration stations. Softimage will also be in the Intel booth.
but as far as I know, they will be demoing the 2012 SAP versions of Max/Maya/Softimage/MudBox/
but as far as I know, they will be demoing the 2012 SAP versions of Max/Maya/Softimage/MudBox/
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: SI Technology Previews
Yep, its 2012 only in terms of booth.luceric wrote:....but as far as I know, they will be demoing the 2012 SAP versions of Max/Maya/Softimage/MudBox/
-
bottleofram
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21
Re: SI Technology Previews
Business as usualluceric wrote:The booth has a main theater, which is the schedule discussed above, and several smaller demonstration stations. Softimage and other products are on these other smaller demonstration stations.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SI Technology Previews
Well, some of us have come to expect an announcement for the M&E product line around the same time as the GDC. Bellsey already explained eloquently why this expectation was obviously misguided, but the "elephant in the room" kind of question remains: when can we expect the product announcements for the 2013 line of products? And has the release schedule for these products been changed as well?

Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: SI Technology Previews
If AD doesn't react to the latest kick in the butt from SideFX and starts marketing Softimage as a viable alternative to Houdini - also make it, not just marketing, by starting implementing some FumeFX like quality particle/fluids simulator - I don't see the Autodesk media division in a healthy shape in a few years.
Just talked to a guy today who is into compositing and ofcourse knows something about 3d, played with a few apps as well, guess what: he never heard of Softimage. I'm pretty sure all of you have at least one experience like this.
Taking a step back and trying to look at things as impartial as possible I've inferred this: AD is obviously very capable when it comes to marketing, proof being the number of seats of the crappiest software ever existed - 3dsMax - while Softimage is kept in the shadows for unknown reason, to me at least. Do I have to specify that these are my opinions?
Just talked to a guy today who is into compositing and ofcourse knows something about 3d, played with a few apps as well, guess what: he never heard of Softimage. I'm pretty sure all of you have at least one experience like this.
Taking a step back and trying to look at things as impartial as possible I've inferred this: AD is obviously very capable when it comes to marketing, proof being the number of seats of the crappiest software ever existed - 3dsMax - while Softimage is kept in the shadows for unknown reason, to me at least. Do I have to specify that these are my opinions?
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides