Superpositivo wrote:In the meantime, in Planet Softimage...
Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1122
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
Oh now I get the joke... stupid me.
His VW must've broken down somewhere on a mountain road.
His VW must've broken down somewhere on a mountain road.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
Kzin wrote:but in the meantime everyone is using cuda
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option= ... Itemid=360
Fully OpenCL-accelerated Gas simulation pipeline in Pyro.
OpenCL DOP for custom acceleration of simulation performance.
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
I was beginning to think all the good things ahead he was referring to was his trip.McNistor wrote:Oh now I get the joke... stupid me.
His VW must've broken down somewhere on a mountain road.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
I was waiting for that rolling bush thingy to move into frame...
cue the ennio morricone music here.....
cue the ennio morricone music here.....
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
xsisupport
- Posts: 713
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
- Location: Montreal Canada
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
tumbleweedRork wrote:I was waiting for that rolling bush thingy to move into frame...
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
I dont know. Rolling bush thingy is somewhat catchy yet descriptive 
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
azurecgi
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
I'm quite interested in how Mark Schoennagel is going to get all 'excited' about this release when he has to get up on stage and show it off! 
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
angus_davidson wrote:I dont know. Rolling bush thingy is somewhat catchy yet descriptive
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1122
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
Dont worry about that, considering the amount of new features Softimage will get 5 minutes presentation top, and he can fit everything in there.azurecgi wrote:I'm quite interested in how Mark Schoennagel is going to get all 'excited' about this release when he has to get up on stage and show it off!
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
You don't know yet what is the amount of new features.Maximus wrote:Dont worry about that, considering the amount of new features Softimage will get 5 minutes presentation top, and he can fit everything in there.azurecgi wrote:I'm quite interested in how Mark Schoennagel is going to get all 'excited' about this release when he has to get up on stage and show it off!
I too am not very optimistic (knowing Autodesk for a while now), but I'd say let's keep the "doom&gloom" until after the new features list is made public.
One can only hope we'll be cheering.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
Precisely.Actually until now, they didn´t even manage to make maya better for MAYA users.
Btw at current slow speed one can upgrade every 7-8 years...
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
After so many years under Autodesk management softimage selling points are some of acquisition day one: ICE and Facerobot. Upon ICE they did improvement, for the rest, only maintenance or minor tweak here and there.
I'm disgusting about, but if I look around I don't find a real alternative to softimage and AD products. My second software is modo (I use for some modelling purpose and rendering). But modo, and others software, have nothing comparable to facerobot or some softimage features I use every day like gator, also I use some plugin like species, that speed up my work. I think modo cannot arrive to have something like this before (or never will) around release 901 or 1001. In the meantime my favourite plugin can evolve and become more useful for me but without supporting old release... so,despite myself, I see me bound to ADSK for many years in future before found a reliable alternative (and nobody can ensure us they will not acquire this alternative....
ADSK is aware of it, unlike the CAD industry (where dassault gain big market quote), in this area they are practically impervious
I'm disgusting about, but if I look around I don't find a real alternative to softimage and AD products. My second software is modo (I use for some modelling purpose and rendering). But modo, and others software, have nothing comparable to facerobot or some softimage features I use every day like gator, also I use some plugin like species, that speed up my work. I think modo cannot arrive to have something like this before (or never will) around release 901 or 1001. In the meantime my favourite plugin can evolve and become more useful for me but without supporting old release... so,despite myself, I see me bound to ADSK for many years in future before found a reliable alternative (and nobody can ensure us they will not acquire this alternative....
ADSK is aware of it, unlike the CAD industry (where dassault gain big market quote), in this area they are practically impervious
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
Your probably right for a year or so. After that I think their will be suitable alternatives out there. Look at Modo, wasnt so long ago they only had one Kit available to extend Modo. Now there are 11. Also you have SI plugin developers that are also now releasing Modo Versions. Once that gets momentum things akin to face robot and gator will come (as there is definately a gap in the market for them on platforms beyond SI.)Nizar wrote: ADSK is aware of it, unlike the CAD industry (where dassault gain big market quote), in this area they are practically impervious
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
I think you’re kidding yourself (but I don’t mean that in an insulting way, obviously) or I am. For a long time we have been hearing that either the days of the so-called generalist software were numbered or that new competition was just around the corner. Neither has happened yet and I am seriously doubting it ever will. Sadly, Modo seems a prime example of where this is (or better yet: isn’t) going. Modo started as a specialist modeling software that subsequently got delusions of grandeur. After that it tried desperately to morph into a generalist software, but it most definitively isn’t there yet (and somehow I doubt it will actually get there in my lifetime). And while the surviving true specialist apps seem to be doing well for themselves, I think they aren’t truly “threatening” the generalist software either (or so it would seem from my vantage point).
On a lighter note: there has been some talk lately about a mac port of Softimage. This has become a recurring bad joke in the Softimage world over the years, which might explain some of the hostile reactions. And especially luceric has always quite vehemently explained why this will probably never happen on the different forums over the years. But, to deliberately stir the pot a little, the meager feature lists for Softimage 2013 and apparently Softimage 2014 might point to some “unknown sideproject” . Yet knowing Softimage a port to Windows Phone 8 is even more likely…

On a lighter note: there has been some talk lately about a mac port of Softimage. This has become a recurring bad joke in the Softimage world over the years, which might explain some of the hostile reactions. And especially luceric has always quite vehemently explained why this will probably never happen on the different forums over the years. But, to deliberately stir the pot a little, the meager feature lists for Softimage 2013 and apparently Softimage 2014 might point to some “unknown sideproject” . Yet knowing Softimage a port to Windows Phone 8 is even more likely…
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
bottleofram
- Posts: 355
- Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21
Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE
Yeah, that "sideproject" has a name. A girly one. You wouldn't like it.Hirazi Blue wrote:But, to deliberately stir the pot a little, the meager feature lists for Softimage 2013 and apparently Softimage 2014 might point to some “unknown sideproject”.
