“Time makes more converts than reason.”
― Thomas Paine
And I will continue to buy your plugins Eric!Mootzoid wrote:For what it's worth:
I will continue developing and updating my plugins for Softimage regardless of what Autodesk does.
This is the way to go.FabricPaul wrote:From a Fabric perspective, as long as we have customers using Softimage we will continue to support it. I will post some stuff down the line relating to how Fabric might help, but this isn't the right time.
thanks Eric. Ray of light.Mootzoid wrote:For what it's worth:
I will continue developing and updating my plugins for Softimage regardless of what Autodesk does.
Well, AD, you did so incredibly well on this...congrats ;)Petit commented: “As we have demonstrated since the acquisition of Alias in 2006, we’re committed to giving our customers choice when it comes to their 3D tools. We plan to maintain and grow the Softimage product line, and through Autodesk FBX provide better interoperability between Softimage products, 3ds Max and Autodesk Maya. FBX also provides interoperability between Softimage products and our specialized applications such as Autodesk Mudbox, Autodesk MotionBuilder, Autodesk ImageModeler and Autodesk Stitcher, as well as numerous third-party applications.”
quoted from here:http://www.fxguide.com/featured/Autodes ... e_for_35M/Petit concluded: “At Autodesk, we care deeply about 3D technology; we know users invest a lot of time and energy into mastering their favorite 3D product. To all 3D artists out there, I want to tell you that we understand your passion for the creative tools you use daily, and that with Autodesk, you can choose your passion.”
owei wrote:@fabricpaul
Indeed, would have been interesting if innovation would have drawn the market for a couple of years instead of being strangled in the cold hands of an monopolist. Good luck to you awesome Fabrics...the best for you, guys!!
I found this press release back from the Softimage acquisition 2008 and it made me laugh out loudly![]()
Well, AD, you did so incredibly well on this...congrats ;)Petit commented: “As we have demonstrated since the acquisition of Alias in 2006, we’re committed to giving our customers choice when it comes to their 3D tools. We plan to maintain and grow the Softimage product line, and through Autodesk FBX provide better interoperability between Softimage products, 3ds Max and Autodesk Maya. FBX also provides interoperability between Softimage products and our specialized applications such as Autodesk Mudbox, Autodesk MotionBuilder, Autodesk ImageModeler and Autodesk Stitcher, as well as numerous third-party applications.”
And this is the best part...I totally was not aware AD is aware of anything ;)quoted from here:http://www.fxguide.com/featured/Autodes ... e_for_35M/Petit concluded: “At Autodesk, we care deeply about 3D technology; we know users invest a lot of time and energy into mastering their favorite 3D product. To all 3D artists out there, I want to tell you that we understand your passion for the creative tools you use daily, and that with Autodesk, you can choose your passion.”

are you sure ? opinions at autodesk may are pretty straight about this, for example dev Luc-Eric had already talked here the WHY Softimage is a no-go. There is internal discussion at least...Eugen wrote:Anyone knows the AD chain of command from the inside? Who are the people that make decisions like this? Did they ever really sit in front of any DCC apps?
From the observable acting, I imagine it more like you would expect from many bigger commercial corporations these days - management is 'abstracted' from the actual products since long, the only authority to answer to are shareholders, and the main goal became the short-term revenue.
Where's the John Lasseter / Pixar, or Steve god rest his soul Jobs / Apple character at AD, if there ever was one?
Was it Warren Buffett who once said he won't deal with things that he don't understand? In that sense, AD should sell Softimage and concentrate on CAD software.
I thought I already did that ;)FabricPaul (you know this is just fooling around), why not start some fundraising yourself for the ultimate-Softimage's-heir-3d application?