Cycles for Softimage
Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)
Sycles 2.4.1 V 2.4.1 released August 2026 —
This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. Version 2.4 is compiled with Cycles 5.3 (state of July 2026). The second generation of the addon (since 2.0) is a complete rewrite and works with Softimage 2015 SP2.
New since version 2.1.3 (from the github release notes): 2.4.1: fixed incorrect transforms of instances when the master model has rotation or scale, repacked with missing DLLs 2.4: Cycles 5.3. New Alpha parameter for the ImageTexture node, Sky Texture with Single and Multiple Scattering models, Thin Film for Metallic and Glass BSDF, new Raycast and Scene Time nodes, OSL custom camera, Linear 3D curve shape (also as per-object override), Geometry Approximation mode for NURBS surfaces, Render Time pass (CPU), texture optimisation (resolution, limit, tx texture cache) and a detailed scene export timing log 2.4: renders MaterialX shader trees from the MaterialXSI addon (converted to OSL). Note: OSL shading works on CPU render devices only 2.3.x: Cycles 4.5, OSL support is back, new Metallic BSDF and Set Normal nodes, phase function for Scatter Volume, Diffuse Roughness for Principled BSDF, more Noise Texture types, subdivision with motion deform, per-frame texture images, rendering of NURBS surfaces and curves (via custom properties), tile rendering, fixed shadow catcher, vector input ports for OSL shaders 2.2.x: nodes of Blender 4.3 (Ray Portal BSDF, Sheen BSDF, Gabor Texture, redesigned Principled BSDF), current Blender OCIO color profiles, custom velocity grids for VDB primitives, Particle Info node fed by ICE attributes, denoising of the final passes with OIDN or OptiX
Supported Softimage features (quoted from the download page):
Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following built-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE pointcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passes Rendermaps
The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows you to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. The libraries for GPU rendering are included in the package. All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser
For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there as well.
This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. Version 2.4 is compiled with Cycles 5.3 (state of July 2026). The second generation of the addon (since 2.0) is a complete rewrite and works with Softimage 2015 SP2.
New since version 2.1.3 (from the github release notes): 2.4.1: fixed incorrect transforms of instances when the master model has rotation or scale, repacked with missing DLLs 2.4: Cycles 5.3. New Alpha parameter for the ImageTexture node, Sky Texture with Single and Multiple Scattering models, Thin Film for Metallic and Glass BSDF, new Raycast and Scene Time nodes, OSL custom camera, Linear 3D curve shape (also as per-object override), Geometry Approximation mode for NURBS surfaces, Render Time pass (CPU), texture optimisation (resolution, limit, tx texture cache) and a detailed scene export timing log 2.4: renders MaterialX shader trees from the MaterialXSI addon (converted to OSL). Note: OSL shading works on CPU render devices only 2.3.x: Cycles 4.5, OSL support is back, new Metallic BSDF and Set Normal nodes, phase function for Scatter Volume, Diffuse Roughness for Principled BSDF, more Noise Texture types, subdivision with motion deform, per-frame texture images, rendering of NURBS surfaces and curves (via custom properties), tile rendering, fixed shadow catcher, vector input ports for OSL shaders 2.2.x: nodes of Blender 4.3 (Ray Portal BSDF, Sheen BSDF, Gabor Texture, redesigned Principled BSDF), current Blender OCIO color profiles, custom velocity grids for VDB primitives, Particle Info node fed by ICE attributes, denoising of the final passes with OIDN or OptiX
Supported Softimage features (quoted from the download page):
Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following built-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE pointcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passes Rendermaps
The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows you to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. The libraries for GPU rendering are included in the package. All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser
For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there as well.
download page: https://ssoftadd.github.io/syclesSecondGenPage.html / wiki with tutorials / all of Shekn's plugins / author on vimeo / si-community thread
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: Cycles for Softimage
I have some issues with UV, basically when you apply some UV texture to an object and in the texture editor you apply some subprojection, Cycles doesnt update the UV. its quite a bummer, anyone have a solution?
-
Shekn
- Posts: 254
- Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18
Re: Cycles for Softimage
It's not a bug, it's a feature. At the beginning of the render frame the system looks to attributes, required by renderer (uvs, vertex colors, ice-attributes). If there are no any new attributes, then it used it from the previous render session. So, if some of them are changed, the system does not recognize this. In some cases this increase the scene prepare time. In some cases (like in your case) this is inconvenient. Solution - turn off caching parameter in render settings. Then data for all objects will be exported from the Softimage to the renderer every time. This will increase the render time, but object attributes will be actuals.
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: Cycles for Softimage
If you mean "turno off caching parameter in render setting" to uncheck "cache mesh", i already have that thing turned off, there are no other caching settings in the render settings, and turning "cache mesh" off, doesnt solve the issue :/Shekn wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 12:21 It's not a bug, it's a feature. At the beginning of the render frame the system looks to attributes, required by renderer (uvs, vertex colors, ice-attributes). If there are no any new attributes, then it used it from the previous render session. So, if some of them are changed, the system does not recognize this. In some cases this increase the scene prepare time. In some cases (like in your case) this is inconvenient. Solution - turn off caching parameter in render settings. Then data for all objects will be exported from the Softimage to the renderer every time. This will increase the render time, but object attributes will be actuals.
p.s. ok Solved, it was my mistake, i had the cyctexturecoordinate output set on Generated instead of UV, that messed up the viewport/texture editor texture on the model. sorry
everything works, thanks shekn!
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: Cycles for Softimage
is there a guide on how to properly configure and use OCIO files? or Aces?
-
sirdavid32
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 03:36
- Location: Ecuador
Re: Cycles for Softimage
Hi @Shekn, I've configured the render options to be Sycles and selecting OSL in performance, in order to get to work with Toon shading (I want to create just the outlines)
I've deleted all "phong" references, even from the material preview so the "Q" quick render preview will work.
No matter what I do, I get "# WARNING : [SYCLES]: OSL shading system supports only for CPU-rendering. Switched to SVM shading system."
But I get no rendered material.
Do I need to setup an extra step somewhere?
Please help.
BTW: It is an amazing huge port! I would like to try the volume shaders and remeshers!
After a short wait, I got my render, but it looks horribly dented:
*** Update
When I turn off denoising (I was using optix, and switched to NLM), the dents go away and I get a clear render.
I can't get the outline by using SToon Deterministic when I combine it into a Mix RGB node.
I'm starting to think Stoon is not updated, because Emission shader works as expected with anything I plug it into.
Is there a chance to update Stoon as well, please?
I've deleted all "phong" references, even from the material preview so the "Q" quick render preview will work.
No matter what I do, I get "# WARNING : [SYCLES]: OSL shading system supports only for CPU-rendering. Switched to SVM shading system."
But I get no rendered material.
Do I need to setup an extra step somewhere?
Please help.
BTW: It is an amazing huge port! I would like to try the volume shaders and remeshers!
After a short wait, I got my render, but it looks horribly dented:
*** Update
When I turn off denoising (I was using optix, and switched to NLM), the dents go away and I get a clear render.
I can't get the outline by using SToon Deterministic when I combine it into a Mix RGB node.
I'm starting to think Stoon is not updated, because Emission shader works as expected with anything I plug it into.
Is there a chance to update Stoon as well, please?
Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/3dcinetv
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/3dcinetv
Web: http://www.3dcinetv.com
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/3dcinetv
Web: http://www.3dcinetv.com
-
Shekn
- Posts: 254
- Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18
Re: Cycles for Softimage
1. Use only CPU device for rendering. OSL does not works with GPU.
2. SToon should works, but only with disabled caching.
Example is attached
2. SToon should works, but only with disabled caching.
Example is attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
sirdavid32
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 03:36
- Location: Ecuador
Re: Cycles for Softimage
These are the settings I am using. Even though I connect the Lineart deterministic or the SToon basic, I still get no outline nor color.
What other settings do I need to check?
Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/3dcinetv
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/3dcinetv
Web: http://www.3dcinetv.com
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/3dcinetv
Web: http://www.3dcinetv.com
-
Surface_VR
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 11 May 2020, 12:22
Re: Cycles for Softimage
Perhaps you're not changing the Scene Option to Cycles when you render?
It's the first item in the SToon_references pdf
Changing only the Region Option to Cycles will not result in a SToon.
It's the first item in the SToon_references pdf
Changing only the Region Option to Cycles will not result in a SToon.
-
Shekn
- Posts: 254
- Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18
Re: Cycles for Softimage
It's not totally correct. Simple nodes, like LineArt, can be used in quick view with local render settings. But some more complex nodes, like EasyToon, requires additional data from the scene. This data sended before each frame is rendered. Of course, we don't want to send any data, when we rendering by using MentalRay or some other engine. That's why the system send data to shader nodes only when the scene's render is Cycles. In this case we should set the renderer not only on the local quick view, but also on scene settings.
-
sirdavid32
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 03:36
- Location: Ecuador
Re: Cycles for Softimage
Double checked there (caching scene: uncheck, CPU only: check) and render preview, render scene and render settings all set to Cycles.
I'm running out of options. I've sent the file on DM, Shekn. Thanks!
I'm running out of options. I've sent the file on DM, Shekn. Thanks!
Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/3dcinetv
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/3dcinetv
Web: http://www.3dcinetv.com
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/3dcinetv
Web: http://www.3dcinetv.com
-
sirdavid32
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 03:36
- Location: Ecuador
Re: Cycles for Softimage
The background is not working either. It's a clear case: Am I missing to install any additional libraries on Softimage?
I'm using Windows 10, Softimage 2014
Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/3dcinetv
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/3dcinetv
Web: http://www.3dcinetv.com
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/3dcinetv
Web: http://www.3dcinetv.com
-
Shekn
- Posts: 254
- Joined: 30 Dec 2016, 19:18
Re: Cycles for Softimage
I found some bugs.
1. SToon based on osl-shaders. Each osl-shader is a text file. Before rendering the renderer convert it to the sequence of elementary codes and create oso-file with the same name in the same directory. So, the first bug was on comments in osl-files. Previous versions of the Cycles render can compile it without errors, but the latest version found syntax error and does not compile it. New versions of osl-files in the addon here: https://github.com/ssoftadd/SSoftAdd.gi ... 1.xsiaddon
2. Some osl-shaders in the addon requires file with the name "node_texture.h" which should be placed on Sycles addon directory - Application - Plugins - shader. Previous versions of the Cycles render contains this file, but in the latest version the content of this additional file was reorganized into other files. SToon is an old addon, so, it requires this file. It can be downloaded here: https://github.com/ssoftadd/SSoftAdd.gi ... _texture.h
3. As mentioned in the first item, before using osl-shader the system should convert it to compiled version with extension oso. If the folder with shader files placed on the system drive, then the system can block creation of these new files. There are two solutions here: install addon to the workgroup on a non-system drive, or copy compiled versions to the folder with original osl-files. These oso-files can be downloaded here: https://github.com/ssoftadd/SSoftAdd.gi ... _nodes.zip
Background parameter in the SToon global settings control only the lightning inside some SToon nodes and does not override Sycles background parameters.
In any case, the addon SToon looks unstable and inconvenient for using. May be it will be better to use default shader nodes (on svm mode) to simulate required toon effects. If it's possible.
1. SToon based on osl-shaders. Each osl-shader is a text file. Before rendering the renderer convert it to the sequence of elementary codes and create oso-file with the same name in the same directory. So, the first bug was on comments in osl-files. Previous versions of the Cycles render can compile it without errors, but the latest version found syntax error and does not compile it. New versions of osl-files in the addon here: https://github.com/ssoftadd/SSoftAdd.gi ... 1.xsiaddon
2. Some osl-shaders in the addon requires file with the name "node_texture.h" which should be placed on Sycles addon directory - Application - Plugins - shader. Previous versions of the Cycles render contains this file, but in the latest version the content of this additional file was reorganized into other files. SToon is an old addon, so, it requires this file. It can be downloaded here: https://github.com/ssoftadd/SSoftAdd.gi ... _texture.h
3. As mentioned in the first item, before using osl-shader the system should convert it to compiled version with extension oso. If the folder with shader files placed on the system drive, then the system can block creation of these new files. There are two solutions here: install addon to the workgroup on a non-system drive, or copy compiled versions to the folder with original osl-files. These oso-files can be downloaded here: https://github.com/ssoftadd/SSoftAdd.gi ... _nodes.zip
Background parameter in the SToon global settings control only the lightning inside some SToon nodes and does not override Sycles background parameters.
In any case, the addon SToon looks unstable and inconvenient for using. May be it will be better to use default shader nodes (on svm mode) to simulate required toon effects. If it's possible.
-
sirdavid32
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 03:36
- Location: Ecuador
Re: Cycles for Softimage
Ok, thank you for the reply and this awesome update. I got step 1 and 2 done, but I'm struggling with step 3. I downloaded the precompiled versions from https://github.com/ssoftadd/SSoftAdd.gi ... _nodes.zip - Where do I put those files?
Do I place them in the same file path than node_texture.h?
I placed node_texture.h in : C:\Users\PC\Autodesk\Softimage_2014_SP2\Addons\Sycles\Application\Plugins\shader
Do I place them in the same file path than node_texture.h?
I placed node_texture.h in : C:\Users\PC\Autodesk\Softimage_2014_SP2\Addons\Sycles\Application\Plugins\shader
Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/3dcinetv
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/3dcinetv
Web: http://www.3dcinetv.com
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/3dcinetv
Web: http://www.3dcinetv.com
-
sirdavid32
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 03:36
- Location: Ecuador
Re: Cycles for Softimage
All right, I managed to do the above reply for the folder location and now it is working fantastically:
Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/3dcinetv
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/3dcinetv
Web: http://www.3dcinetv.com
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/3dcinetv
Web: http://www.3dcinetv.com
-
sirdavid32
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 03:36
- Location: Ecuador
Re: Cycles for Softimage
Thank you so much Shekn! This is working now! I am amazed!!
Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/3dcinetv
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/3dcinetv
Web: http://www.3dcinetv.com
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/3dcinetv
Web: http://www.3dcinetv.com
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: Cycles for Softimage
im having issues on rendering high pixel dimension images, anyone have noticed some problems going above 5000 pixels format?
My cpu usage stays at 10% the whole rendering time, i have to cancel the rendering task because it takes forever.
My cpu usage stays at 10% the whole rendering time, i have to cancel the rendering task because it takes forever.