AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by FXDude » 05 Apr 2015, 05:09

Thanks for the clarifications,

though despite luchifer not specifying what he meant by "subscriptions" or "buying Autodesk",
I find it quite revealing about the apparent "disconnect",
as you both assumed he meant that he was looking to rent,
while classic options are technically still available,

and basically any thread anywhere on the subject,
(such as the link provided in the first post of this thread, and very much including this thread)
are almost completely unfavorable to new rental plans.

From one of these threads:
They urged everyone to get onto subscription. They tout bonuses like being able to run a second copy on a laptop, or use legacy versions (*something that should be a given anyway*)

So people go on subscription, are then denied extensions because they weren't on a subscription for a creation suite sub (and then they killed one of the DCC apps that was in that suite)


-They ramped the upgrade cost to a flat rate,

-then up to costing 70% of a new seat,

-then they said, after May 2015 you won't be able to upgrade.

If you stop renting and move to another app, you lose the ability to access anything you've created with the rental software.
But not unlike all these changes, this change is also clearly not to the advantage of the customer/consumer, and really only benefit ADSK

For the very few that argue -some- benefits of "buying" (as you say) into rental plans in -some- cases,
they are immediately disproved by the argument :
"fine (for those cases), but for more common scenarios, why -only- rental?"

Renting is 1.5 to a whopping 3 times the price(for basically nothing), more towards the 3X if you normally update only when needed, and in the event of subsequent increases (or basically any other undesired change), people would further be constrained by not being able to hold-off purchases, without essentially losing the ability to function.

Even if you would be allowed to chose to not update the software
(which would be more common than not in the middle of productions or whatnot)
you would stilll be paying the price of the very latest all the time (normally not very sound to do that),
... or use a shovel to do your excavation work.

Needless to say, in the pros and cons list, to date the "cons" have an overwhelming 10:1 ratio,
while Autodesk campaings, (and fully supportive (or endocronated) employees) talk as if it was all for the better, and/or from popular demand.

Or if I'm missing some great advantage, feel free to enlighten me.
Last edited by FXDude on 05 Apr 2015, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.

luchifer
Posts: 119
Joined: 21 Aug 2009, 20:27
Location: Lima, Perú

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by luchifer » 05 Apr 2015, 05:36

In my specific case I prefer to rent:

I dont care if its expensive or cheaper because the company I work for pay the bills, and currently the sales department of my company prefers to buy a licence every few years (even if that means for them losing the annual benefits and for me losing very nice updates). This way - monthly subs- works for me if they want me to be productive and I dont want to lose a single update. Now, I dont know if I understand correctly, but I suppose, like paying for cable, if they stop paying I wont be able to use maya, and pretty sure the company I work for wont want to stop production.

Now, I can totally understand why paying more is bad, but the thread started as " AD going Subscription only Q1 2016" and I though monthly sub was the only way. Anyway I havent done the maths, and I really dont know how much expensive or cheaper this is going to get.

I'll need to read the news one more time, because perhaps Im confusing things.

edit: I live in a free market country, so ups and downs is a thing I have to live and adapt to, wheter I like it or not. Im just grateful these softwares dont cost 15,000 dollars or more like they used to back in the 90's.

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by FXDude » 05 Apr 2015, 06:32

luchifer wrote:In my specific case I prefer to rent:

I dont care if its expensive or cheaper because the company I work for pay the bills, and currently the sales department of my company prefers to buy a licence every few years (even if that means for them losing the annual benefits and for me losing very nice updates). This way - monthly subs- works for me if they want me to be productive and I dont want to lose a single update. Now, I dont know if I understand correctly, but I suppose, like paying for cable, if they stop paying I wont be able to use maya, and pretty sure the company I work for wont want to stop production.

Now, I can totally understand why paying more is bad, but the thread started as " AD going Subscription only Q1 2016" and I though monthly sub was the only way. Anyway I havent done the maths, and I really dont know how much expensive or cheaper this is going to get.

I'll need to read the news one more time, because perhaps Im confusing things.

edit: I live in a free market country, so ups and downs is a thing I have to live and adapt to, wheter I like it or not. Im just grateful these softwares dont cost 15,000 dollars or more like they used to back in the 90's.

So in your case where price doesn't quite matter even when given the choice,
(monthly being the most expensive, while being the cheapest looking)
and don't mind increases which may be arbitrary, then renting is totally fine.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Apr 2015, 09:01

FXDude wrote:I find it quite revealing about the apparent "disconnect",
as you both assumed he meant that he was looking to rent
Well, I interpreted luchifers question the same way
The reason for this interpretation: the specific thread and thus the context it was posted in...
;)

Thanks to Bellsey & DanielGTG for taking time to answer this, BTW
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by FXDude » 06 Apr 2015, 05:47

Fair enough.
Though I think the thread and context starting with something like, "why go with this?" while quoting the article, is exactly what could give the impression the question was about traditional subs (still being before Q1)

But what could perhaps have given a different impression I think could have rather been this comparison with Adobe CC: ".. if it seems to be like Adobe CC, I don't see how I will get updates behind firewall, "

Which could explain the different interpretations.

And I also wanted to thank Bellsey and Daniel for the info,

Thanks

pezetko
Posts: 40
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 23:58

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by pezetko » 06 Apr 2015, 19:24

DanielGTG wrote:Hey everyone,

I can chime in here to help clarify the second question.

(Graham already answered the first question about 'desktop subscription' already so i don't believe any further clarification is needed there... if yes, please ask away)

The Application Manager is desktop delivery systems for Windows applications at Autodesk. We still acknowledge and accept that customers have IT security constraints so online download of updates (e.g Service packs, patches) and new releases (e.g Extensions, major releases) will still be an option; several customer uninstall the application manager all together. Likewise, Maya has to support Mac and Linux environments where we currently don't support the Application Manager system.

It's important to note that when you purchase your desktop subscription for either monthly, quarterly, or yearly the software still has to 'phone home' to check on the license status. If you have a firewall setup blocking all in/out traffic from your workstation you'll need to open up the firewall to allow the license 'heart beat' to pass. This is done every 14 days from the software activation period with the current releases.
(And yes i said purchase since it is a transaction like your subscription to your internet service provider :)
Hi,
is (will be) possible to run/license maya to completely offline workstation?

In worst scenario: License manager on laptop that has internet connection, and manually transfer license to offline workstation that isn't plugged to lan/internet?

Recently I worked in company that has theirs workstations completely isolated from outside net (and from Sony leaks it probably more common situation).

Also my own workstation is/will be completely offline (it's much faster to have not to run any antivirus software at all).
Is (will be) Maya (LT) to be able to run like that?

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Apr 2015, 20:13

Only a partial answer, I admit:
Does the software included with Desktop Subscription require an internet connection to work?

For the initial installation and login, an internet connection is required. After installation, the software will work offline for up to 14 days, at which point you must connect to the internet to continue. You will be reminded 7 days prior to having to connect to the internet in order to continue using the software. An internet connection is required in order to access cloud services.
(Quoted from here)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by MauricioPC » 07 Apr 2015, 21:13


User avatar
Daniel Brassard
Posts: 878
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by Daniel Brassard » 13 May 2015, 19:27

Bump, just received this from Autodesk
The Way you buy your Autodesk software is changing

Save up to $1,500 (1) on new Autodesk 2016 software

After January 31, 2016, new perpetual licenses of most individual Autodesk® software will no longer be available for purchase.

Special online rebates are available until July 24, 2015 to help you prepare for this change.
Links:

http://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/globa ... 002=643988
http://static-dc.autodesk.net/content/d ... HIC-v6.pdf
(1)This promotion offers Online Rebates on purchases of eligible new perpetual licenses when purchased with a two- or three-year term Maintenance Subscription for that license, as well as up to $1,500 for crossgrade to Suites licenses and up to $400 for Network Activation fees.
Rebates are available for qualifying purchases made between May 7, 2015 through July 24, 2015 in the USA and Canada. Full product list, details and restrictions at www.autodesk.com/campaigns/global-promotion-tcs.
Offers available from participating resellers only. Reseller prices may vary. Please consult your local Autodesk reseller for further details.
Autodesk, the Autodesk logo, AutoCAD, and AutoCAD LT are registered trademarks or trademarks of Autodesk, Inc., and/or its subsidiaries and/or affiliates in the USA and/or other countries. All other brand names, product names, or trademarks belong to their respective holders. Autodesk reserves the right to alter product and services offerings, and specifications and pricing at any time without notice, and is not responsible for typographical or graphical errors that may appear in this document.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

User avatar
Shredder565
Posts: 1107
Joined: 02 Jan 2012, 19:04

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by Shredder565 » 15 May 2015, 03:21

so glad autodesk killed off softimage. I can't afford a monthly subscription.
forced subscription only services should kill any company instantly. it just smacks of greed.

taking away the choice of buying is just bad business. how much extra could it cost them to offer a downloadable option only to save on packaging?

stupid move. stopped buying adobe updates because of that stupid cloud, and will do the same with autodesk.

using 2014 softimage till the day I die.

User avatar
bb3d
Posts: 84
Joined: 27 Oct 2011, 20:54
Location: Berlin

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by bb3d » 15 May 2015, 14:30

I agree. Never having to deal with this "company" again is the only positive aspect of this tragedy.

mirkoj
Posts: 205
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:26
Skype: mirko-jankovic

Re: AD going Subscription only Q1 2016

Post by mirkoj » 17 May 2015, 08:20

that ad is compete PR crap.

where is line:
I had my project going nice and steady on version x.
then over night new version is updated. and tomorrow my addons, scripts and bunch of other stuff blew out, all projects is crapped and ruined, hours of rendering on farm ready to go to garbage.

thanks ad subscription, you made my day!