How long will softimage be Competative...?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
markraz
Posts: 26
Joined: 03 May 2014, 07:38

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by markraz » 17 Feb 2015, 02:52

Bullit wrote:That doesn't make sense. Then your could argue you only know if you build a new render engine everytime you need an image.

Even more bizarre is your consideration about artistic ability, is it defined because you needed at least 7 lights(3 point+4 for each wall) to iluminate an interior scene in the past? In what way that is more artistic than with 3? Why not 10, 20 then , are more artistic if we paint each pixel?

In real life you need 2 or 3 IES equivalent ones? well vray is certainly much nearer that.
I don't find VRay accurate at all. The lighting model is nowhere near real life comparatively to apps like Maxwell, Corona and Indigo Renderer. This is not to say VRay can't produce similar or better results, but VRay is certainly not lifelike as far as light placement goes. In other words, if you modeled your living room and placed lights exactly the same location with the same energy models, it not going to look real necessarily. you are still going to need some fill lights and some HDRI or whatever. With vray often the lighting will look better than a real room. That's the beauty of the tool, it does lots of work for you.

I see what you are saying with "artistic ability" maybe I should have used a different wording. But I was not so much referring lights as I was referring scene setups and modeling in general.

Anyway I still think MR is a great renderer.

User avatar
Draise
Posts: 894
Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
Skype: ondraise
Location: Colombia

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by Draise » 17 Feb 2015, 13:34

...... I don't know how this thread derailed into an argument about render engines. @-)

The question is..... how long will Softimage be competitive?

julius
Posts: 248
Joined: 12 Jun 2009, 08:56

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by julius » 17 Feb 2015, 14:14

In my opinion, the first thing wich could cause a serious handicap for Softimage will be the viewport. But it will happen in a few years.

- Animation and rig/setup are mature, and will be on top for a long time.

- modeling tools are robust and mature too.

- Rendering will be ok as long as redshift will be up to date for Softimage

- ICE is a big argument for vfx and motion design.

For those who are able to create cool things in ICE (not my case...), the only weak point will be the viewport in the next 3 or 5 years I think.

Nox
Posts: 108
Joined: 16 Apr 2013, 11:28

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by Nox » 17 Feb 2015, 18:11

When it comes to editing single heavy polymesh XSI is still unmatched.

User avatar
talent103
Posts: 183
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 14:47
Location: New York City

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by talent103 » 17 Feb 2015, 19:51

I think the real question is how long will I be able to find work with it. XSI studios are in the process of finding what app to switch to. This could take anywhere from 2 to 5 years till a full switch is made. For us indie freelancers we can work on soft when we work from home. I have had that luxury but unfortunately that is not all the work I get. Many times I have to go to a post house and work. With less studios using soft as time goes on the more I will be forced to either work in a different post field or transition to Maya or C4d. (those are the only options I am considering at the moment. ) I will predict that in 8 years it will no longer be competitive as far as a being a professional in the industry is concerned.

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by NNois » 17 Feb 2015, 20:14

julius wrote:... the only weak point will be the viewport in the next 3 or 5 years I think.
Well the viewport is already from some times a big problem next to other apps, a shame than SI team missed it with the hight quality viewport...

El Burritoh
Posts: 151
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 18:56
Location: Tennessee

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by El Burritoh » 17 Feb 2015, 21:46

Softimage will cease being competitive when people stop kicking ass with it.
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

markraz
Posts: 26
Joined: 03 May 2014, 07:38

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by markraz » 18 Feb 2015, 17:46

El Burritoh wrote:Softimage will cease being competitive when people stop kicking ass with it.
this is the truth

markraz
Posts: 26
Joined: 03 May 2014, 07:38

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by markraz » 18 Feb 2015, 17:47

julius wrote:In my opinion, the first thing wich could cause a serious handicap for Softimage will be the viewport. But it will happen in a few years.

- Animation and rig/setup are mature, and will be on top for a long time.

- modeling tools are robust and mature too.

- Rendering will be ok as long as redshift will be up to date for Softimage

- ICE is a big argument for vfx and motion design.

For those who are able to create cool things in ICE (not my case...), the only weak point will be the viewport in the next 3 or 5 years I think.
viewport? specifically?

markraz
Posts: 26
Joined: 03 May 2014, 07:38

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by markraz » 18 Feb 2015, 17:48

Nox wrote:When it comes to editing single heavy polymesh XSI is still unmatched.
better than Graphite?

markraz
Posts: 26
Joined: 03 May 2014, 07:38

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by markraz » 18 Feb 2015, 17:50

Draise wrote:...... I don't know how this thread derailed into an argument about render engines. @-)
my fault... sorry... I just have a soft spot for mental ray so I get carried away

I apologize, back on topic

Xsinode
Posts: 26
Joined: 06 Sep 2013, 17:08

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by Xsinode » 18 Feb 2015, 19:57

markraz
I think he mean viewport performance. Softimage still best of the best when you working with millions of polygon and don't have "SuperMega Incredible WorkStation"
Graphite Modeling Tools is F****g crap. A quick tutorial from Autodesk how make shit. Take cool plugin called PolyBoost, Rape PolyBoost interface. Add slow slooooow (very slow) Ribbon Interface. I hate Ribbon. It most stupid invention of the 21st century. All professional modellers use hotkey. Modeling is not for a housewifes.
Hey Autodesk!!! If you really wanna kill Softimage add Ribbon Interface.

markraz
Posts: 26
Joined: 03 May 2014, 07:38

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by markraz » 18 Feb 2015, 20:23

Xsinode wrote:markraz
I think he mean viewport performance. Softimage still best of the best when you working with millions of polygon and don't have "SuperMega Incredible WorkStation"
Graphite Modeling Tools is F****g crap. A quick tutorial from Autodesk how make shit. Take cool plugin called PolyBoost, Rape PolyBoost interface. Add slow slooooow (very slow) Ribbon Interface. I hate Ribbon. It most stupid invention of the 21st century. All professional modellers use hotkey. Modeling is not for a housewifes.
Hey Autodesk!!! If you really wanna kill Softimage add Ribbon Interface.
you can setup custom hotkeys in max

Xsinode
Posts: 26
Joined: 06 Sep 2013, 17:08

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by Xsinode » 18 Feb 2015, 20:52

Wow thanks man great tip :-bd
I dont like concept of Ribbon Interface. I dont like have not useful garbage in any soft. More garbage and other rudiment - more size on HDD and less stable and overall performance. I dont like hotkey system in 3ds max (Hotkey Override Toggle is not good). Why I cant change hotkey on F1. This idiocy. In 3ds max user cannot totally change working environment without using ton of scripts or own programming skills. I like 3ds max but is true.

Nox
Posts: 108
Joined: 16 Apr 2013, 11:28

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by Nox » 19 Feb 2015, 09:27

Yeah, Max team knows how to bloat stuff :>

Image

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: How long will softimage be Competative...?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Feb 2015, 11:00

That's probably the main reason why Softimage got axed:
it simply didn't fit on a hard drive next to the mighty Max anymore.
;;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!