You have some solid points. I'll admit first, I'm actually enjoying learning Houdini, but it's been a hard road. It'll take time, so I just decided to walk it slowly!
As for Cinema 4D selection, I actually don't like it! And I hate that highlight that happens when you hover over a object ... and that was ported into 3ds Max 2016 from what I hear! Damn you AD!
I just hope that, like Cinema 4D, they let me disable this thing.
And just one more thing ... I think Softimage failed because they didn't knew how to sell it. On todays market, where procedural is the shinny intelligent word, I think Softimage would sell more. But who knows!
And let me just post here links to the first Houdini tutorial from Ben Watts. I really like his Cinema 4D ones and he's planning a lot more for Houdini. I'll keep an eye for that and share it here.