Marc Petit joins Exocortex

News concerning 3D DCC business
luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by luceric » 06 Feb 2014, 11:11

Hah January, it's that time of the year where the bloggers take the new year resolution of updating their blogs more frequently, and they haven't realized yet that they don't have much to write about. So they post about interesting stuff other people are doing instead. it should last about until about the end of February.

Reference:
You can tell which people listed blogging as a performance review goal

now let's all get out of here and go pretend we have something fascinating to share on twitter.. :ymdevil:
Last edited by luceric on 06 Feb 2014, 16:08, edited 3 times in total.

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by angus_davidson » 06 Feb 2014, 11:35

Well 2015 going on last years release date should be getting closer. So I guess we will all know pretty soon. Any softimage manager needs to have interacting with the community as a weekly , let alone a yearly goal.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Feb 2014, 18:17

@luceric - Nice post! :))
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by angus_davidson » 06 Feb 2014, 18:30

Hirazi Blue wrote:@luceric - Nice post! :))
If you check the comments it goes a long way to explain why windows is such a crap operating system ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by Bellsey » 06 Feb 2014, 19:03

angus_davidson wrote: Hi Bellsey.

Would have it been so hard to have included Softimage in that tech preview? Surely there are people there that can understand the perception this creates, particularly in light of the fact we are not very silent about being ignored in most of AD's marketing (and a tech preview is a very effective form of marketing)
There were many other products also not shown, including AutoCAD.


As for the blogging thing, well I'm guilty for not posting more regularly. But I haven't made any new year resolutions to try and update more frequently. Though I am thinking about whether to even continue with it.

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by xsi_fanatic » 06 Feb 2014, 20:27

Bellsey wrote:did no one see the CGchannel news from December showing the joint initiative between Autodesk, Otoy, Nvidia and Amazon?

http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/12/new-au ... r-browser/

This is essentially what Cory is blogging about. This is just a technology preview that people can actually trial and test themselves. I believe there is a 90 day trial period, during which people can access 30 day trials of Maya, Max, Inventor and Revit.
Bellsey,

I don't understand how you come about posting such a link on this thread when it only adds more fuel to the fire.

I don't care what anybody else has to say about this, but I'm extremely hurt. Please market this somewhere else.
Last edited by xsi_fanatic on 06 Feb 2014, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by Nizar » 06 Feb 2014, 20:50

Bellsey is trying to reassure, if XSI future depend by Cory blog, well, with softimage also is doomed Autocad :)

However, in Max underground Autodesk officially intervened for reassure the users (and they have less bad signals than us), Why no one can do the same here or on softimagemailing list? Our money worth less? Or softimage users stink too much? This action cost really few minutes (or seconds)

A single, official phrase by someone official invested (like done on Max underground) and few very simple and absolutely free actions (sometime mentioning softimage) by your company and all will be more serene and constructive, how AD marketing/customer care staff can be so blind? totally useless on softimage side if not harmful

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by Bellsey » 06 Feb 2014, 23:40

xsi_fanatic wrote: Bellsey,

I don't understand how you come about posting such a link on this thread when it only adds more fuel to the fire.

I don't care what anybody else has to say about this, but I'm extremely hurt. Please market this somewhere else.
I was just pointing out that this technology was shown late last year. Cory's blog post is just relating to that previous article.
I'm also not trying to market anything either, as I didn't make the original post in this thread, or the other thread in the Open Discussion section.
Autodesk has a big portfolio of products, only four were included in this preview and trial. Even AutoCAD, which is one of Autodesk's flagship and biggest products wasn't shown, so people shouldn't read too much into the absence of a particular product.

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by McNistor » 07 Feb 2014, 00:59

Bah... it seems there is always a reasonable explanation as to why AD leaves Softimage out of the equation.
Unfortunately there's only one explanation, which we all know it and which is not only never articulated by AD or an AD employee, but actively denied.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by xsi_fanatic » 07 Feb 2014, 02:56

McNistor wrote:Bah... it seems there is always a reasonable explanation as to why AD leaves Softimage out of the equation.
Unfortunately there's only one explanation, which we all know it and which is not only never articulated by AD or an AD employee, but actively denied.
I agree. Personally, I think they're building up a lot of negative energy in the community.

Eugen
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:40
Location: Vienna/Austria

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by Eugen » 07 Feb 2014, 09:11

Bellsey wrote: There were many other products also not shown, including AutoCAD.
AutoCAD doesn't count here, because it's a completely different product than the media and entertainment apps.

Bellsey, can you not try to understand, without arguing your way out, that
- 3ds max
- Maya
- Softimage
are all programs of the same 'caliber', and that Autodesk does damage to Softimage systematically(!) NOT mentioning it when it would deserve to be?

So, whenever the talk is about 3ds max AND Maya, in tech demos, blogs, wherever, please include Softimage! It costs you the same money.

Do you see the point? I (we) wouldn't be picky about this if there wasn't a pattern to be recognized. Little things like this give insight in the status that Softimage has inside your company. Unjustified, as many would say who know it well enough, because it's a very powerful, versatile, and quite clean program. In my personal opinion: more than the others.

You are not responsible for marketing, are you, but nevertheless, bear it in mind, for what it's worth. After all, you are one of the few people who actually talks to the Softies, and that is at least counts something. ; )
Best,
Eugen

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by Bellsey » 07 Feb 2014, 10:04

I understand perfectly, but I don't think anyone has seen my point either and there's nothing more I can say.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Feb 2014, 10:17

@Bellsey - Your point did come across here... #:-s
I think the weird part that rubs some people the wrong way is that two M&E products were included, where for tech demonstration purposes one perhaps might have expected only Max OR Maya for starters, thus "over-representing" M&E to begin with. Which obviously leads to the predictable question by us pesky Softimage users, why "we" weren't included. But as "we" weren't an option for rental either, I'm not all that surprised myself.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Eugen
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:40
Location: Vienna/Austria

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by Eugen » 07 Feb 2014, 10:32

Bellsey,
here's a question which the AD code of conduct, which you all swore an oath to, might forbid, but:
is there a CONSCIOUS decision inside your company to not let Softimage get in the way of Maya?
This could be answered with a simple yes or no.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Feb 2014, 10:36

@Eugen - Sorry, but you already know the answer to that. Autodesk wouldn't want too much "internal" competition. In that sense it all adds up nicely, I'm afraid. Why did they buy Softimage in the first place and not immediately bury it is still a mystery to me.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Eugen
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:40
Location: Vienna/Austria

Re: Marc Petit joins Exocortex

Post by Eugen » 07 Feb 2014, 10:58

I did make my educated guesses, of course, but I would like to hear it from an AD employee - if anyone cares to answer.