A more open + crowd funded extra, community driven Softimage

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics

Should Autodesk make Softimage partly crowd funded and open?

Make Softimage source partly available with contributions
3
14%
Add crowd funded features
8
38%
Don't do either
4
19%
I would spend more with an open and crowd funded Softimage
3
14%
Softimage would take off!
3
14%
 
Total votes: 21

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: A more open + crowd funded extra, community driven Softimage

Post by MauricioPC » 16 Nov 2013, 09:29

Luc-Eric,


I don't know how much you can say about it, but how is the relation and demands of some big studios that still rely heavily in Softimage, about the current state of development?

Are they willing to trade to Maya? Are they demanding fixes or specific things? I'm curious about all this. I mean, for instance, Blur Studio. I love the quality of work that comes out of them and from what I know, they still rely heavily in 3ds Max and Softimage to produce that work.

I guess the day they announce they are changing to Maya will be a sad day (in the context of Softimage use in the industry). In the same way Platige said in a interview they are slowly switching their pipeline to be Maya-centric (sad for the Max community).

Letterbox
Posts: 391
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49

Re: A more open + crowd funded extra, community driven Softimage

Post by Letterbox » 16 Nov 2013, 11:20

luceric wrote: Avid could have pumped a lot of resources in XSI to preserve these accounts on XSI
luceric wrote:That quote has nothing to do with blaming Avid for past actions, the first part of the sentence is what common sense says Avid would be doing if it still owned the product today to retain the accounts. Context is everything
What's the point in saying this? It's a hypothetically statement at best. Avid doesn't and hasn't owned the product for a long time, Autodesk does. It could also be construed in reverse, that as Autodesk are not doing this, they don't want the accounts (or at least, not using xsi).

Either way, I suppose the real question and the real context is, if you believe that statement, and I have no reason to doubt you do, exactly what's the reason for Autodesk not doing it from day 1? Or did the kool-aid honeymoon divert peoples attention from what now seem implicit intentions?