Softimage 2014

News concerning 3D DCC business
Pixel_Tofu
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 15:13

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by Pixel_Tofu » 26 Mar 2013, 15:53

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:
Pixel_Tofu wrote:
but AD has us by the man parts.. so what can you do!
Do they? Only if you let them.
Unfortunately they do. Well they do for us in our pipeline... I don't deny that they are great tools but innovation has seemed to take a back seat to things like 123Sculpt or 123 whatevers for the hobbyist user that wants to be wowed! I can make things on my ipad! wheeeeeee.

Luxology.. Pixologic and others are pushing hard and I am a huge fan of Modo and would love to stick it to the man! But we will see... Modo 701 is very promising.

And quite frankly we love Softimage! and it is hard to let go of something you see that is so good and has such huge potential.

Pixel_Tofu
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 15:13

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by Pixel_Tofu » 26 Mar 2013, 16:00

EricTRocks wrote:
Pixel_Tofu wrote:I think that image is after you press ALL PRODUCTS unfortunately from the front page.
Oh right, nothing is ever good enough I forgot.

Eric it was just an observation that it is not featured on the front product page... it has been this way since AD acquired the product and I think most XSI users would be used to this now.

But again its not some malicious attack against AD it is what I observe as a guy carrying 3 suite licenses and paying subs on these (I know that is not huge compared to others) but when subs come around it is an expense that you query and you do analyse whats on offer.

It is software not a religion for me but it is expensive and these conversations need to be broached.

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by luceric » 26 Mar 2013, 16:10

Pixel_Tofu wrote: Eric it was just an observation that it is not featured on the front product page... it has been this way since AD acquired the product and I think most XSI users would be used to this now.

But again its not some malicious attack against AD it is what I observe as a guy carrying 3 suite licenses and paying subs on these (I know that is not huge compared to others) but when subs come around it is an expense that you query and you do analyse whats on offer.

It is software not a religion for me but it is expensive and these conversations need to be broached.
hmm.. you're the one that wrote that wrote that Softimage being NOW included in the "Top Products" on http://www.autodesk.com/products was "very poor showing for SI". Softimage also the only product on the "visual effects" link at the bottom of the autodesk front page.

User avatar
AceMastermind
Posts: 161
Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 22:57

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by AceMastermind » 26 Mar 2013, 16:41

I didn't see any links to Mod Tool 7.5 anywhere on the new Softimage product page, did Autodesk decide to do away with it? :-\

Pixel_Tofu
Posts: 5
Joined: 26 Mar 2013, 15:13

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by Pixel_Tofu » 26 Mar 2013, 16:42

luceric wrote:
Pixel_Tofu wrote: Eric it was just an observation that it is not featured on the front product page... it has been this way since AD acquired the product and I think most XSI users would be used to this now.

But again its not some malicious attack against AD it is what I observe as a guy carrying 3 suite licenses and paying subs on these (I know that is not huge compared to others) but when subs come around it is an expense that you query and you do analyse whats on offer.

It is software not a religion for me but it is expensive and these conversations need to be broached.
hmm.. you're the one that wrote that wrote that Softimage being NOW included in the "Top Products" on http://www.autodesk.com/products was "very poor showing for SI". Softimage also the only product on the "visual effects" link at the bottom of the autodesk front page.

Not me.

And it is a lean release for all AD products but yes I stand by that SI got very little introduced (poor showing). I don't care where it is placed on a website.. I care that I have to subscribe to a company that offers no intent on letting me know what I may get for my money (my risk) then offer very little on delivery (AD's responsibility)

Other than that nothing new here... this forum is full of these threads every release since AD acquired XSI.

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 26 Mar 2013, 17:18

EricTRocks wrote:
Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:
EricTRocks wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed where Softimage is listed here:
http://www.autodesk.com/products
so? in the dropdown list it isn´t even mentioned.
OK, maybe it's not update for you cause it's smack dab in the middle of the screen.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3533340/si_ima ... oducts.png

Dropdown list.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
dwigfor
Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by dwigfor » 26 Mar 2013, 17:19

AceMastermind wrote:I didn't see any links to Mod Tool 7.5 anywhere on the new Softimage product page, did Autodesk decide to do away with it? :-\
I think they discontinued it. I tried searching for it and pretty much all the links redirected to Softimage 2014. The closest I found to a page with a link to it (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/it ... d=13368747) points to a "Page Not Found".

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by Rez007 » 26 Mar 2013, 17:33

The "Ask an Expert Live" for Softimage should be starting shortly if anyone is interested.

http://area.autodesk.com/2014unfold/live/livefeed.html

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by EricTRocks » 26 Mar 2013, 17:39

AceMastermind wrote:I didn't see any links to Mod Tool 7.5 anywhere on the new Softimage product page, did Autodesk decide to do away with it? :-\
afaik they discontinued that at the same time they stopped the essentials/advanced versions.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by McNistor » 26 Mar 2013, 17:50

The Adsk banner on CGTalk shows 3dsMax, Maya, Mudbox, Gameware (no idea what's this), but... I'll let you guess.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by xsisupport » 26 Mar 2013, 17:52

EricTRocks wrote:
AceMastermind wrote:I didn't see any links to Mod Tool 7.5 anywhere on the new Softimage product page, did Autodesk decide to do away with it? :-\
afaik they discontinued that at the same time they stopped the essentials/advanced versions.
Yeah it stopped at 7.5, but I downloaded it a week or two ago.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

User avatar
sonictk
Posts: 124
Joined: 04 Jan 2012, 03:01

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by sonictk » 26 Mar 2013, 17:53

EricTRocks wrote:
AceMastermind wrote:I didn't see any links to Mod Tool 7.5 anywhere on the new Softimage product page, did Autodesk decide to do away with it? :-\
afaik they discontinued that at the same time they stopped the essentials/advanced versions.
Nah, it was still going last I checked a few weeks ago...I was talking to someone about it and the good old days of HL2...

Would be a real shame if they decided to discontinue offering it, it was pretty nice for curious people to get to see what XSI's modeling toolset had to offer.

User avatar
Daniel Brassard
Posts: 878
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by Daniel Brassard » 26 Mar 2013, 17:55

$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by EricTRocks » 26 Mar 2013, 17:57

I guess what I meant was they stopped development.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

User avatar
nixx
Posts: 42
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:25

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by nixx » 26 Mar 2013, 18:01

luceric wrote:[...] Softimage being NOW included in the "Top Products" on http://www.autodesk.com/products [...] Softimage also the only product on the "visual effects" link at the bottom of the autodesk front page.
Am I the only one here who sees this as (maybe, just maybe) an indication to where AD is taking SI, and who is excited about that ?
:)
I 'm child, and man, and child again; the boy never gets older.

my Vimeo

User avatar
bottleofram
Posts: 355
Joined: 17 Aug 2010, 09:21

Re: Softimage 2014

Post by bottleofram » 26 Mar 2013, 18:06

McNistor wrote:The Adsk banner on CGTalk shows 3dsMax, Maya, Mudbox, Gameware (no idea what's this), but... I'll let you guess.
What do you do with this kind of things anymore? I just laugh it off.

With the new branding, maybe they'd like a new slogan to go with? Never fail to fail sound good to me. I dont know, just a suggestion...