Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

New plugins, tools etc.
mirkoj
Posts: 205
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:26
Skype: mirko-jankovic

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by mirkoj » 14 Mar 2013, 17:20

because nvidia gaming cards are crippled to the point where ati got almost twice better performance in viewports, and pro cards are so overpriced that
unless a company is buying them for you it is not so easy decision to choose to go with one over good gaming card.. ati card ofc.
for comparison purposes I had gtx580 that got really bad Softimage viewport performance.. after replacing it with ati 7970 it is completely another world.
but let's not go that way this is not topic for that :)

User avatar
Rez007
Posts: 609
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
Location: Nevada

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by Rez007 » 14 Mar 2013, 17:20

Google still shows the cached wiki for 2014....One thing I did notice is that they say 2014 no longer supports 32 bit...

After seeing the list, if that is the complete list, sure looks like a SP2 to me. Definitely doesn't warrant a 2014 naming/release...

Kzin
Posts: 432
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by Kzin » 14 Mar 2013, 18:01

iamVFX wrote:
Kzin wrote:
iamVFX wrote:Awesome, new GPU CUDA stuff! My AMD card wants to thank Autodesk for such a great decision
complain to amd directly. amd did not want to get cuda as nvidia offered it some years ago.
wat :D
nvidia gave amd the chance to get the tech some years ago, but amd wants to do his own thing, called opencl. nice idea, but in the meantime everyone is using cuda, and the loser of that behavior is, yep, the customer.

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by origin » 14 Mar 2013, 18:23

opencl is not amd 'thing', and it was created by apple not amd.
It's open framework just like opengl, maintaned by khronos.
Unlike directx and cuda which are closed frameworks that run on single system (windows) or graphic card (nvidia)
Obviously each vendor needs to write own drivers for it, just like with OGL (Intel/AMD/Nvidia)

gena_f1
Posts: 9
Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 11:33

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by gena_f1 » 14 Mar 2013, 18:32

At this time, Side Effetsts releases Houdini 12,5 (SAP) - FREE!!!
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option= ... Itemid=360
Autodesk - very, very cynical company! This is a joke, to take for it (2014) release any money!

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by angus_davidson » 14 Mar 2013, 18:34

Sil3 wrote:
luceric wrote:I'd like to see a thread about what could be changed in Maya to make better for a Softimage user's point of view.. I mean if you have to bite the bullet some day and switch..

maybe this is what Luc was trying to tell us ^#(^
I suspect you are spot on.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

azurecgi
Posts: 171
Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by azurecgi » 14 Mar 2013, 18:46

If I switch, it sure as hell won't be to another Autodesk product!

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by Nizar » 14 Mar 2013, 18:53

azurecgi wrote:If I switch, it sure as hell won't be to another Autodesk product!
If you strictly need some AD product (for a plugin or what else), so, what you will do? Don't work?

azurecgi
Posts: 171
Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 10:11

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by azurecgi » 14 Mar 2013, 19:00

Nizar wrote:
azurecgi wrote:If I switch, it sure as hell won't be to another Autodesk product!
If you strictly need some AD product (for a plugin or what else), so, what you will do? Don't work?
There's many ways to achieve desired end results!

As I said in an earlier post, I will probably return to Lightwave with which I have over 10 years experience. Plus I'm not going to put my copy of Softimage in the bin (it's cost me too much to just discard).

I just won't be paying any future subscriptions!

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by Nizar » 14 Mar 2013, 19:11

azurecgi wrote:
Nizar wrote:
azurecgi wrote:If I switch, it sure as hell won't be to another Autodesk product!
If you strictly need some AD product (for a plugin or what else), so, what you will do? Don't work?
There's many ways to achieve desired end results!

As I said in an earlier post, I will probably return to Lightwave with which I have over 10 years experience. Plus I'm not going to put my copy of Softimage in the bin (it's cost me too much to just discard).

I just won't be paying any future subscriptions!
If this is the real 2014 release (please Bellsey, say it is not the truth...), like you I don't renew subscription, but in sincerity (again, if all here the news), we'll don't see a 2015 release.... like Toxik become Compositor and was given for free, I think softimage will become ICE, a free plugin given with maya or 3dsm 2015. Is very hard image a promotion with this support. Ok, this is the saddest future, hope that does not happen

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 Mar 2013, 19:14

To add my own two cents to this little “SI-Wikileak” - the funny thing is: I am not all that disappointed with the feature list I saw. The new release lacks a true “hero feature”, but it builds upon the two main features of Softimage 2013. As the HQV was a beta at best in that version, maybe this release will actually make it release-worthy. In the goodie-bag that isn't part of the HQV or CrowdFX some interesting little features seem hidden also. If this version is relatively bug-free I personally rate this a decent release, the release, basically, that Softimage 2013 never was IMHO.
:-?

edit: removed last sentence as it was too ambiguous...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 14 Mar 2013, 19:34

angus_davidson wrote:
Sil3 wrote:
luceric wrote:I'd like to see a thread about what could be changed in Maya to make better for a Softimage user's point of view.. I mean if you have to bite the bullet some day and switch..

maybe this is what Luc was trying to tell us ^#(^
I suspect you are spot on.
Actually until now, they didn´t even manage to make maya better for MAYA users.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Kzin
Posts: 432
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:36

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by Kzin » 14 Mar 2013, 20:05

origin wrote:opencl is not amd 'thing', and it was created by apple not amd.
It's open framework just like opengl, maintaned by khronos.
Unlike directx and cuda which are closed frameworks that run on single system (windows) or graphic card (nvidia)
Obviously each vendor needs to write own drivers for it, just like with OGL (Intel/AMD/Nvidia)
yep, and at this point as amd decides to go with opencl, it was clear that nvidia will win the race with cuda, short and middle time wise.

Falam

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by Falam » 14 Mar 2013, 23:39

I'm hoping the list on the Wiki page is not official, if it is, I won't rush to upgrade if at all.
I'm curious to what Maya and Max 2014 has, if it's the same then Autodesk has bad releases across the board.

On the bright side, ICE is designed we create our own tools and help each other in the community, that was expected when ICE came to Softimage, maybe Autodesk doesn't know what else to do with the program. Although they should chop the subscription fee in half.

User avatar
Superpositivo
Posts: 123
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by Superpositivo » 15 Mar 2013, 00:22

In the meantime, in Planet Softimage...

Image

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: Spoiler Alert: NO SPOILERS ANYMORE

Post by McNistor » 15 Mar 2013, 00:49

What's up with this image?
I need a background env. like this for a car I've been working in my spare time for some time.
It's great for inspiration/motivation.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides