Modo 701 around the corner

News concerning 3D DCC business
adrencg
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by adrencg » 22 Mar 2013, 23:17

Mathaeus wrote:
jamination wrote: On top, there is humiliating "setup mode", with his own rules... At the end, what's called "dynamic parenting", acts just like hard switch between pose constraints, and it adds about two or three ops, on different places.


.
Did you see this? Probably the coolest implementation of dynamic parenting I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y5d5bVLLF6c

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by Mathaeus » 23 Mar 2013, 01:24

adrencg wrote:
Mathaeus wrote:
jamination wrote: On top, there is humiliating "setup mode", with his own rules... At the end, what's called "dynamic parenting", acts just like hard switch between pose constraints, and it adds about two or three ops, on different places.


.
Did you see this? Probably the coolest implementation of dynamic parenting I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y5d5bVLLF6c
Still looking like just an ordinary switch :) Nicely covered, which makes me even more suspicious. But it's not only about "dynamic parenting", or "dual joint planar IK" :) - for info, second is Modo name for ordinary 2-bone IK chain, nothing smarter than examples in ICE PhillPack. It's about everything in this app except the renderer, that incredible talent to make simple things overcomplicated, where complex features doesn't exist at all - except the renderer, again.
After last year propaganda, honestly I have zero confidence. Also, I hate to say a good word about Autodesk :), but AD is sooo much more decent about advertising the features.
Will see, if there will be demo, and I'll have a time to play with it, maybe I'll update. Most likely, not. Since Blender is where it is, for home use, it seems to be best option, just to do nothing when it comes to buying.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by Nizar » 23 Mar 2013, 08:19

Since Blender is where it is, for home use, it seems to be best option, just to do nothing when it comes to buying.
Blender viewport is so weak that make all the whole software practical useless for my need. Also, viewport don't seems a priority for Blender developer, concentrated to put in more features as possible instead of making stronger the viewport and in general data flow management.
but AD is sooo much more decent about advertising the features.
8-|
Will see, if there will be demo, and I'll have a time to play with it, maybe I'll update. Most likely, not.
I don't know if they'll present soon a demo or not, but what then? Luxology adopt a different upgrade system, very friendly, you don't pay in advance for unknown features, you can upgrade from the previous release (even an old release) without penalty or any kind of punishment. If you'll upgrade when the demo is out, don't cage nothing, at all. So don't understood your doubts about.

I agree about rendering, around I don't find nothing so simple and fast, but about modelling I learn to manage it, need a bit of customization (using pipeline) and becoming more fast (still prefer modelling in softimage, but modelling in modo is not so bad as I thought sometime ago. The some for rigging, is far from perfect, but after you found and understood the logic behind, it work. Also, luxology (Brad words) well know the actual Modo limits in terms of animation, but promising a fast growing, and I think, with these speed in development, modo will become a really viable alternative around release 801 or 901

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by Mathaeus » 23 Mar 2013, 09:53

Nizar wrote:
Will see, if there will be demo, and I'll have a time to play with it, maybe I'll update. Most likely, not.
I don't know if they'll present soon a demo or not, but what then? Luxology adopt a different upgrade system, very friendly, you don't pay in advance for unknown features, you can upgrade from the previous release (even an old release) without penalty or any kind of punishment. If you'll upgrade when the demo is out, don't cage nothing, at all. So don't understood your doubts about.
Price of AD products, behavior of corporation and everything related, that's one story - the way how AD is showing what AD have, that's another story. This of course includes the free demo, decent docs as well. At least for Max and Softimage, no one sentence in docs starts with "extremely useful" or so, like for Modo - I can't read this...

If there is no free demo, yes, buyer *is* forced to pay in advance.

Anyway, back to "dynamic parenting" as, imho, good example. Problem is, Modo most likely has no quaternion rotation in SRT system, no at all. So it's practically impossible to do blend instead of switch, it's impossible to make a decent animation blending, it's impossible to do good motion graphics. Now, instead of implementing the feature, they running with workarounds, which itself isn't wrong - BUT, putting the workaround as feature, that's something really hard to find for any AD app. At least, AD will try to buy the best option on the market.

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by Nizar » 23 Mar 2013, 13:23

Sorry, don't understood... free demo is present in every modo release, in 601 they delayed but your are not forced to upgrade soon, so, what the problem?

About workaround and solution not so handy, don't say nothing, is true, but also is true the will of improve as much as possible the whole software

adrencg
Posts: 196
Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by adrencg » 23 Mar 2013, 16:59

Mathaeus wrote:
Nizar wrote:
Will see, if there will be demo, and I'll have a time to play with it, maybe I'll update. Most likely, not.
I don't know if they'll present soon a demo or not, but what then? Luxology adopt a different upgrade system, very friendly, you don't pay in advance for unknown features, you can upgrade from the previous release (even an old release) without penalty or any kind of punishment. If you'll upgrade when the demo is out, don't cage nothing, at all. So don't understood your doubts about.
Price of AD products, behavior of corporation and everything related, that's one story - the way how AD is showing what AD have, that's another story. This of course includes the free demo, decent docs as well. At least for Max and Softimage, no one sentence in docs starts with "extremely useful" or so, like for Modo - I can't read this...

If there is no free demo, yes, buyer *is* forced to pay in advance.

Anyway, back to "dynamic parenting" as, imho, good example. Problem is, Modo most likely has no quaternion rotation in SRT system, no at all. So it's practically impossible to do blend instead of switch, it's impossible to make a decent animation blending, it's impossible to do good motion graphics. Now, instead of implementing the feature, they running with workarounds, which itself isn't wrong - BUT, putting the workaround as feature, that's something really hard to find for any AD app. At least, AD will try to buy the best option on the market.
I definitely agree with you on the Modo docs. Just to add a ripple deformer to a mesh is this multi-step process of adding a "falloff" an effector and some other involved steps -- and the manual treats it with a paragraph that says something to the effect of "hey look, you can do this by just adding this.".

In the Softimage docs, there's a step by step process described for almost everything, as opposed to having the directions written as some friendly description of what you can do, if you want to go search for a tutorial on the web. I've been complaining in the forums about the crap manuals they have and hopefully someone is listening.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by Mathaeus » 24 Mar 2013, 10:49

Nizar wrote:
Blender viewport is so weak that make all the whole software practical useless for my need. Also, viewport don't seems a priority for Blender developer, concentrated to put in more features as possible instead of making stronger the viewport and in general data flow management.
Well, here with no name Nvidia GT 430, it turns into quite nice performance, once VBO is enabled, and double sided for each object is turned off. Don't know why on the earth this double sided thing is enabled by default . It wasn't, long time ago, BTW SI traditionally have this disabled. Anyway it seems, sooner or later, Blender user has to dive into Phyton, Could be nice excuse for learning.

I wish all the best for Modonauts - but, for me, there is another reason for Blender over Modo, into this class of 3d app: at least where I am, If I want, I'll be able to find enough Blender artists for entire small gamedev facility, while number of Modo users, I think it's still much smaller, than number of Softimage users ( four or five, probably).

User avatar
Nizar
Posts: 725
Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by Nizar » 24 Mar 2013, 11:01

Mathaeus wrote:
Nizar wrote:
Blender viewport is so weak that make all the whole software practical useless for my need. Also, viewport don't seems a priority for Blender developer, concentrated to put in more features as possible instead of making stronger the viewport and in general data flow management.
Well, here with no name Nvidia GT 430, it turns into quite nice performance, once VBO is enabled, and double sided for each object is turned off. Don't know why on the earth this double sided thing is enabled by default . It wasn't, long time ago, BTW SI traditionally have this disabled. Anyway it seems, sooner or later, Blender user has to dive into Phyton, Could be nice excuse for learning.

I wish all the best for Modonauts - but, for me, there is another reason for Blender over Modo, into this class of 3d app: at least where I am, If I want, I'll be able to find enough Blender artists for entire small gamedev facility, while number of Modo users, I think it's still much smaller, than number of Softimage users ( four or five, probably).
I using blender only for cycles. Also know where can disable VBO, but where is the double side thigh you mentioned?

Agree about diffusion, blender is now very popular, but blender users are frequently hobbyists.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by Mathaeus » 24 Mar 2013, 11:54

Nizar wrote: I using blender only for cycles. Also know where can disable VBO, but where is the double side thigh you mentioned?

Agree about diffusion, blender is now very popular, but blender users are frequently hobbyists.
Under "object data" of each object, triangle in properties window. more about, including script for disabling on all objects Procedure for assigning to shortcut, described into thread, works here on 2.66.
I completely understand the "hobbyist argument" against open source software, this was a reason for me to learn Max over POV-Ray, long time ago. But, now when I'm an old whore, I think I can afford the open source.

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by angus_davidson » 24 Mar 2013, 17:35

Love the new sound sneak peak for modo.

Whomp whomp !

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/content.aspx?id=5867&t=25

btw this is sneak peak 15
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by Rork » 25 Mar 2013, 09:02

nice!

ICE challenge? ;)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Letterbox
Posts: 391
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by Letterbox » 25 Mar 2013, 10:54

Rork wrote:nice!

ICE challenge? ;)
3 YEARS AGO...
https://vimeo.com/8301014

Time to un-hibernate and smell the coffee Rob ;)

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by Rork » 25 Mar 2013, 11:48

must be getting old..... ;)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by Maximus » 25 Mar 2013, 14:42

Letterbox wrote:
Rork wrote:nice!

ICE challenge? ;)
3 YEARS AGO...
https://vimeo.com/8301014

Time to un-hibernate and smell the coffee Rob ;)
Yep, except that in Modo as far as I can see you click 3 buttons to do that. I dont think Stephan Woermann clicked just 2 buttons to achieve that in ICE.

nicoM
Posts: 21
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 09:24

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by nicoM » 25 Mar 2013, 16:47

...another sneak peek .... about large scene optimation .... not so bad :ymhug:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1038024/701Performance.m4v

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: Modo 701 around the corner

Post by SreckoM » 25 Mar 2013, 17:46

Must admit that they almost implemented every single request ... Great amount of work.
- H -