Windows 8

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Windows 8

Post by origin » 11 Nov 2012, 12:06

sonictk wrote:
origin wrote:One more thing, you can't disable pen feedback when using wacom tablet, none of w7 tricks work..........
This is something I'm actually very interested in finding out more about. Does win 8 still have the tablet pc input services rubbish? Most people don't even know you can uninstall these components in win vista/7 and it is almost crucial to do so if you want absolute lag-free response from your Wacom...
http://viziblr.com/news/2012/8/18/windo ... lawed.html
Did yo check this trick
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=15784&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=e95657c1402c8e5387f8908d763ba58e

I had the same problem with recent ATI driver, after this, it run like it should.
In w8? I have no problems in win7, tried this trick in w8 and now I have to wait couple of minutes for xsi to start, rolling back file didnt help, fxxx.

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Windows 8

Post by Rork » 12 Nov 2012, 09:01

AD support for Win8:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19048377&linkID=9240617

Not all media apps yet though....
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Windows 8

Post by luceric » 12 Nov 2012, 12:50

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps ... ID=9240617
ho nose, they didn't omit Softimage! Ouiaaaaaaannnnnn..snif...really wanted to rant... snif.. :o3

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Windows 8

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Nov 2012, 12:59

As this seems to a be page that has been "deployed" to all "Services & Support" pages,
no need to keep on linking to the one of "poor" AutoCAD
("poor", as it hasn't been tested and confirmed yet, apparently):
Autodesk Softimage Services & Support - Windows 8 Support for Autodesk products
:D
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
SvalinnAsgard
Posts: 24
Joined: 17 Oct 2012, 08:19
Location: United States

Re: Windows 8

Post by SvalinnAsgard » 22 Nov 2012, 22:54

I take back everything I said about Softimage freezing in Windows 8. It turns out this was an early warning sign of a motherboard about to explode (and take my CPU and all 12GB of RAM with it). It was just a strange coincidence that it was around the time I installed Windows 8, but the same thing happened in Windows 7.

Now the only remaining issue in Windows 8 is CryENGINE's 64-bit editor.

User avatar
dwigfor
Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46

Re: RE: Windows 8

Post by dwigfor » 09 Dec 2012, 16:18

I still haven't upgraded to windows 8 yet (hoping to over the Christmas break), but I did switch my Android phone to Nokia 920 windows phone 8. Loving it so far. Really like the UI. I'm disappointed that not all winrt apps run on it (tablet vs phone), but hopefully that will improve. No remote desktop (is more of a tablet feature they say. Not to me!), and I was bummed to read no hdmi out; forgot to ask about there before. Apparently AutoDesk has sketchbook for tablet, but its not supported for win phone 8... That was the only app I had purchased for android.

Anyone else have windows phone 8?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Windows 8

Post by Rork » 10 Dec 2012, 09:31

Over here there isn't really much available yet on WP8. Looking for a Lumia 820 at some point. And maybe a W8 tablet.

I'm running W8 on my laptop for a while now, and I have to say it has added some new life to my HP Pavilion dv9085.
I use it for several tasks atm, from light PS work, webdev (yes... I know...) and office related stuff on the road, to being it my multimedia hub for TV and music.
Everything I used to run on a regular basis I reinstalled on W8, and all is working just fine.

And I have to admit, after some slight tweaking, my laptop runs even better than W7.
The absence of the start button, for a lot of people on the web THE reason to hate W8 with a vengeance, isn't that big a deal. It all work basically the same a you're used to.
The only thing I did was to add the power options into the 'power menu' of the start button replacement image thingy.

Regarding the Metro/New UI/Modern apps, it's not as bad as people want to have you believe. There are some really nice apps out there, and the 'dumbed down' way of presenting apps is sometimes nice. Why show a gazillion options when you just want to look at something?
I found some real nice apps (hate that word...) that are great for quickly watch the latest news, browse the system, play music etc.

When this new platform matures, I'm pretty sure we will see desktop applications move towards it. I saw Winzip already be available for Metro, and for these kind of apps the transition is quite simple I guess.
Looking at people around me, the Store is the way to go, as they don't have a clue about installing software. Now it's point and click, no help necessary. The people where I installed W8 are loving it, and find it much less confusing then the 'old ' Windows. So in that area MS succeeded.

For us 'powerusers' the desktop is still here, and will be there for a while. W8 has some nice new enhancements, and like to people's experiences/tips/tricks coming in for this new version of Windows.
It will make it easier for others to migrate, or start off with W8 when they just bought a new system.

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
SamHowell
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
Location: Birmingham

Re: Windows 8

Post by SamHowell » 10 Dec 2012, 10:15

I got hold of Windows 8 and I was ready to hate it but after a few weeks I find that I would not go back to an older version.

I installed it on my ancient Dell Inspiron 1501 and the thing fly's now. The old desktop is still there and the start menu does still exist it has just changed to a whole new front end.

I'm not a big fan of change just for changes sake but this release genuinely does seem like progress.

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Windows 8

Post by Rork » 10 Dec 2012, 10:26

I'm not a big fan of change just for changes sake but this release genuinely does seem like progress.
True, my experience as well.

That's why I just don't understand all the trashing and hatred for W8 on the web.
It seems all the big 'tech' websites are in full force to make W8 a new Vista.

Which is just silly, as W8 is more or less W7 with a new start screen and a slightly different way of working.
Not a biggy if you have an open mind and more than half a braincell to adjust to something new ;)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: Windows 8

Post by McNistor » 11 Dec 2012, 05:12

this makes lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

User avatar
SamHowell
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
Location: Birmingham

Re: Windows 8

Post by SamHowell » 11 Dec 2012, 09:50

Rork wrote:
I'm not a big fan of change just for changes sake but this release genuinely does seem like progress.
True, my experience as well.

That's why I just don't understand all the trashing and hatred for W8 on the web.
It seems all the big 'tech' websites are in full force to make W8 a new Vista.

Which is just silly, as W8 is more or less W7 with a new start screen and a slightly different way of working.
Not a biggy if you have an open mind and more than half a braincell to adjust to something new ;)
Exactly. This attitude is slightly pathetic to be honest. It reminds me of teenage fanboys putting everything down. The internet seems to encourage a sense of communal hostility to change. I bet there were people moaning about Windows 95 too.

They also forget the average user. The new start menu is much more friendly.

User avatar
SamHowell
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
Location: Birmingham

Re: Windows 8

Post by SamHowell » 11 Dec 2012, 09:53

McNistor wrote:this makes lol
Yeah this does make you laugh and then feel slightly depressed. :-\ :)

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: Windows 8

Post by McNistor » 11 Dec 2012, 13:12

SamHowell wrote:
McNistor wrote:this makes lol
Yeah this does make you laugh and then feel slightly depressed. :-\ :)
no, just laugh
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Windows 8

Post by Rork » 12 Dec 2012, 08:52

I bet there were people moaning about Windows 95 too.
Actually, they were.
When W95 came out, there was a lot of uproar about the new startbutton/menu. People complained they wanted the program manager back.
This silliness stopped after the first service pack (well.. kinda call it that way now..), because people actually found out it was kind of useful.

It's the same with W8, the moment this silly complaining dies out, most people start to realise W8 is actually a nice release.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: Windows 8

Post by McNistor » 12 Dec 2012, 11:35

Rork wrote:
I bet there were people moaning about Windows 95 too.
Actually, they were.
When W95 came out, there was a lot of uproar about the new startbutton/menu. People complained they wanted the program manager back.
This silliness stopped after the first service pack (well.. kinda call it that way now..), because people actually found out it was kind of useful.

It's the same with W8, the moment this silly complaining dies out, most people start to realise W8 is actually a nice release.
Belittling people's unsatisfaction and calling it "silly complaining" without apparently having any idea about how MS has taken out a lot of features power-users were actually using is truly silly and in your silliness you think this is only about UI.
Have fun, you and the other guy, stroking each others egos about how open-minded and welcoming to change you are.
I'm taking the coward's path out of here, the silliness has become unbearable. %-(
Last edited by McNistor on 12 Dec 2012, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

User avatar
SamHowell
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
Location: Birmingham

Re: Windows 8

Post by SamHowell » 12 Dec 2012, 11:41

Count to three and take a deep breath.

I'd like to know about these missing power features? I'm being genuine, not sarcastic.


Regards
The other (silly) guy.