SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
-
fabilabo
- Posts: 69
- Joined: 28 Jan 2010, 12:13
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
They can't. thats what i hate, they have to give "something", solid or not, for somes of customers who payes every years subscription.
All is marketing
I really regret the avid time
All is marketing
I really regret the avid time
-
TwinSnakes007
- Posts: 316
- Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 14:00
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I dont get it. Please explain....iamVFX wrote:an updated Build Array From Set compound that speeded up and works with locations and topo's now.
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
TwinSnakes007 wrote:I dont get it. Please explain....iamVFX wrote:an updated Build Array From Set compound that speeded up and works with locations and topo's now.


Now we can do this
-
SreckoM
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
- Skype: srecko.micic
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
I don't know if I like it or not, but think is hardly call modelling improvement this:
I found softimage one of the best (if not the best) 3d software, but this release seems a bit stunted (if you don't need crowd simulation), expecially if I compared with last modo release (ok, with all the adding of 601 release modo don't have all the tools softimage have from years, but the list of addition in modo is quite impressive if compared to softimage 2013).
Another little point, not so important, but I see a lack of enthusiasm... next time can you call Brad Peebler for doing your preview?
Ok, is only a joke, hope no one be offended ( Chiny, I really like the work you doing every time )
Modeling
Merging or Blending Polygon Meshes
When merging or blending polygon meshes, you can now transfer all clusters even if they don't have any properties (like local materials, weight maps, vertex colors, etc.).
The Split Edge tool has been improved to make it easier to split edges close to existing vertices. If you still have difficulty, try zooming the view.
I found softimage one of the best (if not the best) 3d software, but this release seems a bit stunted (if you don't need crowd simulation), expecially if I compared with last modo release (ok, with all the adding of 601 release modo don't have all the tools softimage have from years, but the list of addition in modo is quite impressive if compared to softimage 2013).
Another little point, not so important, but I see a lack of enthusiasm... next time can you call Brad Peebler for doing your preview?
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Are you kidding? Look at the Houdini 12 release, all that speedy fire and smoke (fire and smoke, AD, please make it happen at least 2014), speed improvements, etc...Nizar wrote:expecially if I compared with last modo release
-
Memag
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
- Location: Tits
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
What is the price of "fire and smoke" Houdini 12?
Weird no one mentioned Zbrush or 3dcoat updates yet.
Weird no one mentioned Zbrush or 3dcoat updates yet.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
And Zbrush update is free (one of the best featureMemag wrote:What is the price of "fire and smoke" Houdini 12?
Weird no one mentioned Zbrush or 3dcoat updates yet.
-
iamVFX
- Posts: 697
- Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
$6,695 vs $3,745, double priced, yeah, I get your pointMemag wrote:What is the price of "fire and smoke" Houdini 12?
Last edited by iamVFX on 27 Mar 2012, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
-
SreckoM
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
- Skype: srecko.micic
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Yeah Houdini Master version is really pricey. Escape version is acceptable, but no particles and dynamics.
On other hand for studios price is not that much high if you consider that you get unlimited Mantra nodes.
On other hand for studios price is not that much high if you consider that you get unlimited Mantra nodes.
- H -
-
TwinSnakes007
- Posts: 316
- Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 14:00
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
If you had a farm that had 256GB of ram on it, you could sim a volcano eruption similar to what they did in Houdini 12 as well.
-
Bellsey
- Posts: 688
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
- Location: London, UnitedKingdom
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
ok, so it seems that people have had some time to digest the announcements regarding the 2013 releases, there's certain some mixed views.
Overall I think Softimage 2013 looks like a good release, there's still some things I would like but there's alot in there. The viewport is something that is long overdue, but I disagree with the comment of it being rushed. At the moment, its not using the same viewport framework as Maya and Max, but as Chinny says in his video, we're converting the rendertree over so we can output to the viewport in realtime - CGFX.
As you can see in the video, you'll be able to preview and adjust some elements that usually you'd have to draw a render region for. I can see what people mean about the performance and the recording software never helps, but like anything there's a trade off. The more stuff you throw at it, then performance will always take a hit.
Its the same for Maya/Max as well, they can look good, but once you start to really turn the various effects on, then performance will be effected.
Overall I think Softimage 2013 looks like a good release, there's still some things I would like but there's alot in there. The viewport is something that is long overdue, but I disagree with the comment of it being rushed. At the moment, its not using the same viewport framework as Maya and Max, but as Chinny says in his video, we're converting the rendertree over so we can output to the viewport in realtime - CGFX.
As you can see in the video, you'll be able to preview and adjust some elements that usually you'd have to draw a render region for. I can see what people mean about the performance and the recording software never helps, but like anything there's a trade off. The more stuff you throw at it, then performance will always take a hit.
Its the same for Maya/Max as well, they can look good, but once you start to really turn the various effects on, then performance will be effected.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Weird, but probably "weird by design", the world famous pdfs are available for download, but on the Softimage page there is still a Softimage Reasons to Buy, but both the Brochure and the FAQ are geared not toward Softimage anymore, but toward the Entertainment Creation Suites...
PS I just checked: the pdf situation applies to Maya as well, so it is most definitely "weird by design".
and it would've been nice is if the supported hardware list had been updated as well already ;)
PS I just checked: the pdf situation applies to Maya as well, so it is most definitely "weird by design".
and it would've been nice is if the supported hardware list had been updated as well already ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Maximus
- Posts: 1121
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Can tell us if geometry shader was fixed? Framebuffer update, so we can use properly mental ray features? Since 2013 got already announced sooner i get disappointed sooner it'll pass 
Last edited by Maximus on 27 Mar 2012, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Don't forget, from Modo 501 to 601 was two years! To be fair you'd have to add up all of SI's updates from 2011 to now...
-
calmasacow
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 15:53
Re: SPOILER ALERT - general Softimage 2013 description
Well it is easy to add a lot of features when you software is missing so many. That said this is one of the best SI releases in quite some time.Nizar wrote: I found softimage one of the best (if not the best) 3d software, but this release seems a bit stunted (if you don't need crowd simulation), expecially if I compared with last modo release (ok, with all the adding of 601 release modo don't have all the tools softimage have from years, but the list of addition in modo is quite impressive if compared to softimage 2013).
I agree. it is a very nice software. But we are seriously looking at Modo as an alternative to Softimage. For one Autodesk is starting it's practice of raising prices now that the user-base has been increased. and two because Modo runs on OSX. And since the Softimage team refuses to stop using mainwin and make a port of their linux version to OSX we may well be leaving the Autodesk product line completely. 2013 is prolly gonna be the last Softimage release for us. if There was a Mac version of Softimage I know a large portion of the SI user-base would use it. Not to mention with windows 8 on the horizon I just cant do it. I'm I'm not one of those people that keeps using a OS after another release comes out. . I will give it some time to get a few of the bugs worked out but then I switch and I just refuse to use windows 8. that shit is Mickey Mouse! And before you say it . I used Maya for almost 10 year and left it to use Softimage. I'm not walking aback into that party. I would rather have elective root canal!
REALLY? the new view port CGFX? as in doesnt work on anything but nvidia CGFX?Bellsy wrote: but as Chinny says in his video, we're converting the rendertree over so we can output to the viewport in realtime - CGFX.