V-RAY FOR SOFTIMAGE BETA - finaly here

New plugins, tools etc.
User avatar
gustavoeb
Moderator
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
Skype: gustavoboehs

Re: V-RAY FOR SOFTIMAGE BETA - finaly here

Post by gustavoeb » 26 Oct 2011, 19:22

No interpolation, 4 bounces of GI in both images.
When reading rendertimes regard that I am using a 2 core computer.
Have not gotten into DOF and other effects as I intend to match results as closely as possible, and that is not always easy since different renderers have different parameters.

Vray
Min: 1
Max: 4
ColorTr: .01
DMC adapt: .85
DMC Tr: .005
Light subdivs: 16
GI subdivs: 20
6m42s
Image

MR
Min: ,5
Max: 100
LightSamples: 3x3
FG: 50 rays
Quality: .9
9m02s
Image

Arnold
AA: 2
Diffuse: 4
3m42
Image

Ground Truth (this one was actually rendered in Vray with fixed sampling. but should yeld same results on any renderer)
Image

I did increase FG rays up to 128 with no perceived gain in quality, but almost double in render times.
GI seems to look closer to Ground Truth in Vray but shadows are closer in MentalRay. Arnold seems to hit Ground Truth on the dot.
Last edited by gustavoeb on 27 Oct 2011, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: V-RAY FOR SOFTIMAGE BETA - finaly here

Post by Bellsey » 27 Oct 2011, 11:22

Zafar Iqbal wrote:Graham: Did you use exposure control? I'm wondering how you got color bleeding like that. I can't seem to get any unless I use exposure controls/tonemapping.
I am not using any exposure control or tone mapping. The balls and floor are all using the standard Vray Material. The floor has no texture map and is just a 50% grey.
Whenever I do any render tests, I like to keep my scenes quite plain and simple at first before maybe adding more detail. My thinking is that if you can't get a simple primitive working with one camera and one light, then there's little point in trying to do more complicated scenes. You need to know how the rendered behaves.

There hasn't been any documentation for the Softimage Vray Beta, but apparenelt you can use any of the docs from the Max or Maya versions. So I started by using the 'Universal Vray Settings' that work across Max and Maya.
The settings say for the GI to have Brute Force for the Primary Bounce, and Light Cache for the Secondary with a muliplier of 1 for both. It's the Secondary Bounce thats gives the colour bleeding. If I turn it off, it goes.

Zafar Iqbal
Moderator
Posts: 169
Joined: 26 Oct 2009, 09:04

Re: V-RAY FOR SOFTIMAGE BETA - finaly here

Post by Zafar Iqbal » 27 Oct 2011, 11:57

Bellsey wrote: I am not using any exposure control or tone mapping. The balls and floor are all using the standard Vray Material. The floor has no texture map and is just a 50% grey.
It's something I've been wondering about for a long time. I get them easy in modo and I see VRay users get them on similar types of render I've been doing a lot as well - I can only seem to get the effect by really aiming for it in mental ray using final gather.
Bellsey wrote: Whenever I do any render tests, I like to keep my scenes quite plain and simple at first before maybe adding more detail. My thinking is that if you can't get a simple primitive working with one camera and one light, then there's little point in trying to do more complicated scenes. You need to know how the rendered behaves.
Amen to that - I prefer the same approach most of the times.

---


Been rendering some animations - nothing fancy at all. Just barely getting into things.

Mental ray, Dragon


VRay, Dragon


Nothing much going on in the dragon scene - not really a good flicker test scene/setup.


Mental ray, Room


VRay, Room


Severe flicker in the VRay version - must dig into what the different parameters do and which ones are the vital ones.

Render times are pointless for now. I'll improve the room scene and see what I can come up with.

Ps. Lighting in the room scene is a giant plane (geometry) placed just behind the camera @ the size of the wall as well. Screw realism B-)
- Zafar Iqbal

User avatar
gustavoeb
Moderator
Posts: 587
Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
Skype: gustavoboehs

Re: V-RAY FOR SOFTIMAGE BETA - finaly here

Post by gustavoeb » 27 Oct 2011, 14:15

EDITED my last post with Arnold and Ground Truth comparisons. In case you guys want to take a look, go back to page 5
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

Zafar Iqbal
Moderator
Posts: 169
Joined: 26 Oct 2009, 09:04

Re: V-RAY FOR SOFTIMAGE BETA - finaly here

Post by Zafar Iqbal » 27 Oct 2011, 18:01

Users of Arnold should be banned :)) Great renders though. Love the shadows.

I had a look at some SSS shading (something I've amazingly enough never really used) prior to the room scene.

Prepped the mental ray version first. Settled for this look:
Image

Then tried to get something similar - landed with this after loads of struggle:
Image

The mr SSS shader seemed overwhelming (more stuff to adjust) but I was able to get something after just few minutes. The VRay SS however - far less parameters yet no idea whats going on because I feel like I'm walking on fragile ice as if whatever tweak I do, is on the verge to break. For instance, I used a stretched ball (scaling was frozen afterwards) while I was prepping the shader, to gain a bit speed with preview renders. Looked perfectly fine with smooth shading and all.Tthen I render this and I'm getting hard lines. Barely any SSS effect.. just looks wrong and so flat.


I'm currently doing some brute force renders of the room.

mental ray (number off samples could have been higher - but it's just for reference)
Image

and VRay with brute force as prim and light cache with 2500 subdivs as secondary.
Image

I haven't bothered matching the look at all yet. Was in a hurry when I worked on the scene :)

Very hard occlusion going on as if I have a classic lightsource in there. I don't have any.

Settings (Light Cache)
Passes: 8
Subdivs: 2500
Sample size: 1 (too high I suppose?)
Scale: World

Rest are default I think.

Suggestions?
- Zafar Iqbal

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: V-RAY FOR SOFTIMAGE BETA - finaly here

Post by Mathaeus » 27 Oct 2011, 19:42

Zafar Iqbal wrote:Users of Arnold should be banned :)) Great renders though. Love the shadows.

I had a look at some SSS shading (something I've amazingly enough never really used) prior to the room scene.

The mr SSS shader seemed overwhelming (more stuff to adjust) but I was able to get something after just few minutes. The VRay SS however - far less parameters yet no idea whats going on because I feel like I'm walking on fragile ice as if whatever tweak I do, is on the verge to break. For instance, I used a stretched ball (scaling was frozen afterwards) while I was prepping the shader, to gain a bit speed with preview renders. Looked perfectly fine with smooth shading and all.Tthen I render this and I'm getting hard lines. Barely any SSS effect.. just looks wrong and so flat.

AFAIK, VRay SSS2 is closer to good old ray-trace subsurface shaders for MR, like Daniel Rind's Diffusion - of course with a few modern knobs more. That is, much more realistic than 'z buffer' mi_fast_sss stuff. You should be able to get believable long-range scattering too, with VRay SSS2 (cheese, deep blue ice, so on), not only skin. However, these shaders are very sensitive to distance in world units - maybe the shader scales itself together with object's scale.... If you can, don't hesitate to multiply the output, let's say by 2, 3... just to see what happens (color_math_basic node or something).

mosy252
Posts: 10
Joined: 14 May 2011, 09:24

Re: V-RAY FOR SOFTIMAGE BETA - finaly here

Post by mosy252 » 30 Oct 2011, 11:03

in the Vray material.why the use interpolation setting is grayed out.

RuiSantos
Posts: 8
Joined: 02 Sep 2010, 09:21
Skype: ruisustelo

Re: V-RAY FOR SOFTIMAGE BETA - finaly here

Post by RuiSantos » 10 Jan 2012, 16:44

Hi!
Does anyone know if the procedural/fractal shaders are implemented ?
Can't find them...

thnx!
Rui

User avatar
Memag
Posts: 339
Joined: 08 Aug 2010, 23:37
Location: Tits

Re: V-RAY FOR SOFTIMAGE BETA - finaly here

Post by Memag » 28 Jan 2012, 08:57

"We expect VRay | Softimage to be available for purchase around Feb 10 or
so (slight variations are possible, we have a large reseller network).
Of course, we will still take beta input and try to fix any serious
issues - our cutoff date is February 5th."

So, stay tuned for Feb 10.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: V-RAY FOR SOFTIMAGE BETA - finaly here

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Jan 2012, 11:07

Time to grease my skates, as temperatures in hell are about to drop sharply... :D

Seriously, though, interesting news... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!