What if Softimage died?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics

Softimage is unofficially dead what would you do ?

Poll ended at 05 Oct 2013, 11:10

Switch to Maya (including LT) / Max
13
14%
Continue using Softimage for a few years to come
59
61%
Blender
6
6%
Houdini
12
13%
Modo
2
2%
Other
4
4%
 
Total votes: 96

Eugen
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:40
Location: Vienna/Austria

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Eugen » 10 Dec 2013, 12:12

angus_davidson wrote: Very few companies here use ICE so things like a decent view port is far more important to them. For certain things Softimage is really beginning to show its age and while its not a massive issue now. In 2-3 years it will be a deal breaker. Unless they rebuild Softimage (something I consider very unlikely because they are just not getting the budget / resources to do so) It will hit a usability vs profit wall.
True, if people are not using ICE, reasons are diminishing why another software should not be ok for them. But what's the problem, then?
Maybe Luc-Eric even manages to knock some sense into the Maya interface... ;}

Let's get a bit philosophical here...
Everything goes down in the end, doesn't it, and something new will pop out... getting too attached is standing in the way of that fact, and that's what causes the trouble.
Who can predict in detail what the competition will come up with? We'll be fine, one way or another.

I for my part got tired of all the negative projections, and believe me, I quite wallowed in those myself, but I'm not gonna let my day get ruined again by any lack of action regarding Softimage.
Beta's ongoing, and there will be clear and felt progress, all in all. Some will be happy, some disappointed, as always. 3rd parties are coming up with more addons, too, and as I see it, Soft is better than ever.

For example, I did not expect something like Redshift a year ago, and it really brought back the fun to shader tweaking and rendering.

OzAdi
Posts: 44
Joined: 21 Aug 2011, 11:13

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by OzAdi » 10 Dec 2013, 12:29

really off the post flow, but I must say that for the past few months, every time I enter this site,
the "What if Softimage died" thread, is ON, and showing on the right side of the main screen...
maybe it's just me, but every time I see that subject, I get a little sad inside... maybe change the thread subject to something more optimistic like:
"the future of softimage" or something similar?

am I the only crazy person that gets affected by this? :D
am I getting old?

x_x

Eugen
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:40
Location: Vienna/Austria

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Eugen » 10 Dec 2013, 12:36

Good idea!
Or something like 'the fuzz about Softimage', 'shaping the future of Softimage', 'the most epic thread of all time about Softimage'...

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 10 Dec 2013, 12:54

How about I merely cut off the word "died" to make it the "What if Softimage?" thread? I am hesitant to give it a completely new name (although "Enter at own risk" seems an apt title).
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Eugen
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:40
Location: Vienna/Austria

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Eugen » 10 Dec 2013, 13:01

Or "Wtf Softimage" ...
;p

Falam

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Falam » 10 Dec 2013, 13:19

If the community is 'alive', then shouldn't help be there for any question asked, this isn't always the case.

Letterbox
Posts: 391
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Letterbox » 10 Dec 2013, 13:42

Agree with Paul, it's what I've always said the efforts put in by all 3rd parties have kept this product relevant.

Agree with title change to something like 'random thoughts'

Falam

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Falam » 10 Dec 2013, 14:59

Random thoughts would mean we talk about the weather.
Last edited by Falam on 10 Dec 2013, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by MauricioPC » 10 Dec 2013, 15:11

You can call ... "What if Softimage changed it's name to Maya ... what would you do?!". :))

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by angus_davidson » 10 Dec 2013, 15:55

Falam wrote:If the community is 'alive', then shouldn't help be there for any question asked, this isn't always the case.
I have had very good luck with questions on the SI mailing list.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Falam

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by Falam » 10 Dec 2013, 16:47

angus_davidson wrote:
Falam wrote:If the community is 'alive', then shouldn't help be there for any question asked, this isn't always the case.
I have had very good luck with questions on the SI mailing list.
HAHAHAHA that place.

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by MauricioPC » 10 Dec 2013, 16:54

Falam wrote:
angus_davidson wrote:
Falam wrote:If the community is 'alive', then shouldn't help be there for any question asked, this isn't always the case.
I have had very good luck with questions on the SI mailing list.
HAHAHAHA that place.

That's some strong laugh!

Funny fact ... I was reading an article from DT about which software to use and they wrote this ...
Game Art
From your research you may hear this is 3ds Max dominated (and previously Softimage), but Maya is right up there with it. That’s why it’s so important to focus on those skills you’ll be able to transfer to any application. We also love working with Softimage, but it’s popularity hasn’t taken off quite as much even though it does have some unique, powerful tools and user-friendly UI. Other options still include MODO and CINEMA 4D.
I thought it was funny to read from DT, since it's training are majorly focused on Maya and 3ds Max (user base share, I know).

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by NNois » 10 Dec 2013, 17:37

Falam wrote:
angus_davidson wrote:
Falam wrote:If the community is 'alive', then shouldn't help be there for any question asked, this isn't always the case.
I have had very good luck with questions on the SI mailing list.
HAHAHAHA that place.
Hi fallam,
Maybe it's a bit harsh... but reading you lasts "questions" on si-community doesn't always refers to a real actual problem or technique with softimage and often without a screenshot and even without a proper example where I could see "hey! this guy scratched his head and do this think the wrong way, I can help him...".

Saying the softimage community isn't alive I think it's not really thankful about all theses people who respond you and are actually helping you.

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by luceric » 10 Dec 2013, 17:48

MauricioPC wrote:Funny fact ... I was reading an article from DT about which software to use and they wrote this ...
Game Art
From your research you may hear this is 3ds Max dominated (and previously Softimage), but Maya is right up there with it. That’s why it’s so important to focus on those skills you’ll be able to transfer to any application. We also love working with Softimage, but it’s popularity hasn’t taken off quite as much even though it does have some unique, powerful tools and user-friendly UI. Other options still include MODO and CINEMA 4D.
Softimage had a handful of game studios in Japan using its products that accounted for about half of Softimage's seats. That means that games dominated Softimage, but not the reverse. In the rest of the world, except a couple of places with a dozen seats, I don't know which studio was using Softimage in games. It's always a been a Max/Maya world.

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by MauricioPC » 10 Dec 2013, 17:53

Today I guess Ubisoft still uses Softimage. Shawn Hendriks said something similar at 3December.

But my point was ... it wasn't need to say something like Softimage in that sentence. They said because probably they like Softimage more too! Or at least I got that impression.

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: What if Softimage died?

Post by luceric » 10 Dec 2013, 19:41

well Softimage is very likeable. it was designed to be :P