"...Complexity kills. Complexity sucks the life out of users, developers and IT. Complexity makes products difficult to plan, build, test and use. Complexity introduces security challenges. Complexity causes administrator frustration."
What if Softimage died?
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: What if Softimage died?
A quote from here: http://winsupersite.com/cloud/rethinking-ray-ozzie
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: What if Softimage died?
Loved this phrase!Eugen wrote:"One does not simply walk into Maya-land. Its black UI is guarded by more than just ugly icons. There is evil there that does not sleep. The Great AD Eye is ever watchful"...
; )
-
Mootzoid
- Administrator
- Posts: 244
- Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 16:48
- Location: Germany/France
Re: What if Softimage died?
I'd stick to XSI for as long as it runs (at that would be many, many years) and meanwhile learn Houdini (and a little Maya).
PS: Softimage won't die.
PS: Softimage won't die.
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: What if Softimage died?
Mootzoid wrote:I'd stick to XSI for as long as it runs (at that would be many, many years) and meanwhile learn Houdini (and a little Maya).
PS: Softimage won't die.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: What if Softimage died?
the original poster of this thread should have defined "died". By some definitions you could say that even Softimage|3D is still alive, since I think it's still being used to load, modify and export assets for some mobile games. Many clients have ported Softimage old consoles games to iOS.Mootzoid wrote:I'd stick to XSI for as long as it runs (at that would be many, many years) and meanwhile learn Houdini (and a little Maya).
PS: Softimage won't die.
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: What if Softimage died?
Well Softimage can do HD renders forever and it isn't supposed that humans eyes will change much in next 30-40 years, when we will probably get bionic eyes.
And i am not seeing software improving much, in fact the last 10 years have been a big disappointment in software side while the opposite occurred in hardware were improvements have been notorious.
In fact even some software improvements feel that way only due to hardware.
And i am not seeing software improving much, in fact the last 10 years have been a big disappointment in software side while the opposite occurred in hardware were improvements have been notorious.
In fact even some software improvements feel that way only due to hardware.
-
MauricioPC
- Moderator
- Posts: 1089
- Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39
Re: What if Softimage died?
Amen to that my friend!Mootzoid wrote:I'd stick to XSI for as long as it runs (at that would be many, many years) and meanwhile learn Houdini (and a little Maya).
PS: Softimage won't die.
Cinema 4D is also great for architectural work, logo, 3D for print and 3D Printing. But I think Softimage could rival easily Cinema 4D if some things were perfected and improved (most points that you said).luchifer wrote:I have to agree with Bellsey. You cant force a software to behave like you are used to with Softimage.
I love Softimage, but I switched to Cinema 4d for my work because the robust MoGraph tools and xpresso (I work in broadcast TV). The Interface is far more customizable than I thought it was. And, the main reason I post, is because I have been following this topic for quite some time and :
1. I cant believe no one included Cinema in the poll.
2. The big problem for softimage (in my eyes), its that the software its aiming WAY TOO HIGH for the users they want. Allow me to explain:
Lets pretend im a new user, and in fact, lets pretent I am who I am, a guy who uses 3d software in my work (broadcast TV)
In one hand I have in XSI a beautiful render pass system, Gator, ICE with compound for quaternions and everything I can imagine, and lagoa multiphysiques (excelent work by the way), and face robot.
In the other hand, I have, in Cinema4d a medium quality very fast render, and a content browser, with lots of toys that I use everyday: for example a pumpkin for halloween, a world in 3d for news, pie charts and graph bars for election day and so on and so fort, and the possibility to expand what I know via Xpresso and MoGraph, and with a nice integration to After Effects.
Now.. ask me again.. why did I made the switch?
what XSI needs, in my point of view, is his own content browser with lots and lots of everyday presets for new users. and what it doesnt need, its people who waste their time asking what happens if/when XSI dies, or if tomorrow the dead will rise and take over the world. Im still very fond of XSI. and in my free hours Im learning python for XSI so hopefully one day I can help expanding a future "Softimage Library Tools" (I just invented the name, I believe it was called NetView back in the 00's)
-
McNistor
- Posts: 605
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26
Re: What if Softimage died?
Softimage could and can rival any 3d s/w as it is the best 3d s/w. But I guess, I'm preaching to the choir. 
Last edited by McNistor on 08 Nov 2013, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides
-Thucydides
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: What if Softimage died?
If nothing else from this 40+ page thread it shows that AD$K would be crazy to not put more work into the software.
Any one for the Mods know if this is a record for the forum btw ?
Any one for the Mods know if this is a record for the forum btw ?
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: What if Softimage died?
I think it has to be a record (I haven't checked myself).
I've been tempted over the last few weeks to start a new thread: "What if the 'What if Softimage died?' thread died?"
I've been tempted over the last few weeks to start a new thread: "What if the 'What if Softimage died?' thread died?"
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: What if Softimage died?
You might be right (but I haven't checked either).EricTRocks wrote:I think it has to be a record (I haven't checked myself).
But I personally prefer having one long and winding single "thread of discontent"
over an endless spawning of new and similar threads...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: What if Softimage died?
agreed!Hirazi Blue wrote:EricTRocks wrote:But I personally prefer having one long and winding single "thread of discontent"
over an endless spawning of new and similar threads...
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: What if Softimage died?
Hehe only now i have noticed it is 43 pages...
-
luis7654
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 14 Mar 2013, 18:14
Re: What if Softimage died?
Softimage will die, the day that artists stop being creative. So i'm guessing, never!
People is still creating a lot of cool stuff just with pencil and paper right?
To be honest when i first discovered softimage after trying every 3d package out there, I was really excited. But after reading all your threads and comments about softimage dying and not having a future,I got dissapointed and stoped learning it.
But I found my way back and I'm learning how to use it again, because I understood that you can create amazing stuff with your imagination, and the best tool to bring your ideas to life is softimage and maybe it will always be.
What I'm trying to say is that you "softimage users" are driving new people away with your negativity. Instead of creating this kind of threads you should be creating something like " Why Softimage will never die" and feel confident about your software.
Besides there are many developers out there creating 3rd party plugins, for example the guys from solidangle have been working for many years to create arnold renderer which is years ahead from other renderers (in my opinion)
So instead of pushing people away with your comments, try to get new users by creating new cool stuff
For example the ones on softimage.tv really inspired my to come back and keep learning this amazing software.
*Sorry about my bad english
People is still creating a lot of cool stuff just with pencil and paper right?
To be honest when i first discovered softimage after trying every 3d package out there, I was really excited. But after reading all your threads and comments about softimage dying and not having a future,I got dissapointed and stoped learning it.
But I found my way back and I'm learning how to use it again, because I understood that you can create amazing stuff with your imagination, and the best tool to bring your ideas to life is softimage and maybe it will always be.
What I'm trying to say is that you "softimage users" are driving new people away with your negativity. Instead of creating this kind of threads you should be creating something like " Why Softimage will never die" and feel confident about your software.
Besides there are many developers out there creating 3rd party plugins, for example the guys from solidangle have been working for many years to create arnold renderer which is years ahead from other renderers (in my opinion)
So instead of pushing people away with your comments, try to get new users by creating new cool stuff
*Sorry about my bad english
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: What if Softimage died?
Hi Luis
Its far more frustration then negativity. Its a case of always being the hand me down software of the 3. Things are also not goign to change if you dont make your feelings known. all it would take is for Autodesk to give a little more clarity that doesnt cross their accounting milstones around their necks and we would be much happier. That being said we have a very passionate bunch of people who do amazing things with what we have. If anything this thread has shown that in spite of everything people will persevere with Soft for as long as possible.
For new people however I can see how it seems like all bitch and moan, but its far from that. Glad you delving more into SI.
Its far more frustration then negativity. Its a case of always being the hand me down software of the 3. Things are also not goign to change if you dont make your feelings known. all it would take is for Autodesk to give a little more clarity that doesnt cross their accounting milstones around their necks and we would be much happier. That being said we have a very passionate bunch of people who do amazing things with what we have. If anything this thread has shown that in spite of everything people will persevere with Soft for as long as possible.
For new people however I can see how it seems like all bitch and moan, but its far from that. Glad you delving more into SI.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: What if Softimage died?
Sorry, but I'm getting very tired of all this "the community is too negative". It's not true, but if you only read this thread & even then do not read how passionate we all are about Softimage...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!