Used Softimage License

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: Used Softimage License

Post by FXDude » 14 Aug 2014, 02:27

Or make a really elaborate ICE effect (not to hard using Softimage) that could hardly be done in anything else (except maybe Houdini but much faster) that would change how they see it, to then let us freely use our (currently unfairly & unnecessarily constrained) unique tool of choice!
(or at least until Bifrost is (much-much more) mature)

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: Used Softimage License

Post by MauricioPC » 14 Aug 2014, 04:36

My last comment on this ... there's no apparent reason to why not continue selling the licenses for the two years Softimage is still 'active'. At least it gives people more time to gather funds to be able to buy it and continue studying.

To just deny that is terrible.

/it's time to remove AD stuff from my life.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Used Softimage License

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 Aug 2014, 10:23

If you haven't already done so, in which case you can easily disregard this, I would strongly advise you to seek the assistance of a local reseller (and a second one, if the first one isn't helpful enough!). They know the system and its possible "loopholes" a bit better than all the combined information on the internet can provide and they have the means to get to the information they do not have currently present.
b-(
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Used Softimage License

Post by Bullit » 15 Aug 2014, 02:57

I advise against wasting your time on this.

I also think - it is my experience - that learning the basics Maths is improved if you try other software.

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1089
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 11:39

Re: Used Softimage License

Post by MauricioPC » 15 Aug 2014, 03:12

Bullit wrote:I advise against wasting your time on this.

I also think - it is my experience - that learning the basics Maths is improved if you try other software.
Yeah ... I did that. The knowledge is always transferable, but I'll waist time when it's time to buy it and I can't. And as much as I like what I seen from Maya, it's time to try another beach. :)

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: Used Softimage License

Post by FXDude » 15 Aug 2014, 06:07

MauricioPC wrote:My last comment on this ... there's no apparent reason to why not continue selling the licenses for the two years Softimage is still 'active'.
....
/it's time to remove AD stuff from my life.
Don't know about you, but I personally don't consider Softimage to be part of the company that purchased it
(at a bargain in a garage sale, when getting rid of a 'video-editing unrelated' leftover product).

Upon the EOL announcement and still today, there was (like now, but especially then)
a great deal of high-profile, high-end stuff being done with SI.

But needless to say, It was (like now, but especially then) very much alive when it was declared 'dead'.

And 6,800 to be able to have access to new seats is beyond completely ridiculous.
(while Bifrost remains like a BIG maybe.. and especially a big 'when'?? while the bulk Maya remains no replacement for the bulk of SI)

Softimage as a specialized tool, has always been for the particular niche of a bunch of medium sized, and a few large (but all high-end) studios,
but never meant (designed or marketed) for like super-wide consumption. (what size is Houdini User base ?)

Meaning that, it's comparative user-base size, can in NO way be a justification to suddenly cease distribution
of not a 'big', but very much like a 'key' peice of software actively used by many (key) professionals worldwide (for still very clear & definite reasons)

If (completely hypothetically) Houdini was baught by a company,
that company would have **NO right** (for anyone in their right mind) to simply decide to cease distribution of a very much key peice of software used by thousands of professionals (!)


So I guess the 2 years you mentioned would make it less bad or not so hardly acceptable.


But regardless of that, I sincerely beleive that they shot themselves in the foot in retiring SI so early, (during the entire gestation period of bifrost?),
and showing their true colors in the process,
already were people getting increasingly uncomfortable with certain behaviors and actions (or certain (greedy) philosophies of life),
but that discomfort has only increased (if not dramatically increased) since, you can read everywhere people wanting to 'bail' at the first opportunity. (far from just here)


That while as mentionned, Voodoo might very well come out (just looking at how it has literally been 'demoed' as in 'almost pushed'),
and a few articles alluded to the possible release of Apollo.

Without any Idea how each of them are,

I read that Vodooo is pretty incredible.. from people that experienced-it (not from the demos)

AND heard that Apollo is also pretty incredible..
(don't know if or how much of that is hype, but it would actually be very surprising if it wasn't 'killer' software itself overall, both being very much born in production very close to artists by all means doing serious world class work.


But while I sincerely hope at least one would be capable, fast and efficient, while straight forward enough to finally add options to the table..
.. and perhaps sweepingly overwhelm the market (from people choosing it, as opposed to people choosing something by simply not having any other choice because (most of) everything has been (over)taken through legal acquirements)

.. it seems that 'more options' is increasingly becoming more and more of a likelyhood as opposed to a mere possibility, which I think is good ! :)