PS We made mistakes too, BTW, no doubt!
I could even list quite a few, but I'd rather declare it "beside the point" for now...
;)
I would love this!!!!!iamVFX wrote: So, speaking of Softimaging Blender, I decided to do it myself. Next week, on my free time, I will port Softimage's Keyboard Mapping as a standalone Windows and Linux app for Blender, for free. Just because it's that easy to do and pretty effective in attracting newcomers so less of them would lose their time with Autodesk Maya.
Well I wouldn't go in this way. I think you're overestimating a 'community role'. In short, if someone is agile to much in nice words, people could take the entire story as some fanatic sect - there is attention, probably a few followers more, that's all. Counter productive, in many cases.Shenan wrote:how much responsibility does a software community bear if a great software isn't as successful in the market as it should be? Is it all down to the vendor only? It's just an honest curiosity I have, based on my perceptions over the years. I feel like XSI always seemed to be hidden from view in the general 3D websphere. It seems to me now that the more experienced users could have been shouting from the rooftops how great it was over the years, the way that they are doing now after Autodesk made the announcement.
Just an fyi, you might be biting off a bigger task than you might think. I've tried this before, and while I do believe its possible, there are an amazing amount of subtleties to look out for, simply like how softimage Shift/Control/Alt in combination/variations to add/subtract selections in the view-port and so on and so far, is radically different from how Blender works by default (or at least was when i tried)....iamVFX wrote:So, speaking of Softimaging Blender, I decided to do it myself. Next week, on my free time, I will port Softimage's Keyboard Mapping as a standalone Windows and Linux app for Blender, for free. Just because it's that easy to do........
Just to be clear, I in no way meant to imply that si-community itself had anything to do with it. I only started visiting here a few days ago, so I wouldn't know anyway. I meant the broader community that uses Softimage. For instance, it was weird to just discover recently that most of the Softimage community action apparently happens on the mailing list. A mailing list being generally off the web in my opinion makes it as good as invisible. But I'm not picking on them either. It's just a very general concept that I'm talking about. I can also see your point about people feeling little incentive to evangelize after being purchased by Autodesk. Anyway, chalk my observations up to a case of "hindsight is always 20/20".Hirazi Blue wrote:I understand what you're trying to say, but still: any implication that the whole of the Softimage community and/or more specifically this little si-community could have done more to prevent Softimages demise gets my goat. I was originally planning to write a lengthy reply about the communities inner workings where it related to the company but let's just say Autodesk/Softimage never was very good at customer relations and this didn't help motivate everyone equally to evangelizing Softimage. But in the almost five years this si-community is around, we still managed to do a fair amount of evangelizing, whenever we took a break from all the incessant alleged "fear mongering".
PS We made mistakes too, BTW, no doubt!
I could even list quite a few, but I'd rather declare it "beside the point" for now...
;)
Yep, already started today.Draise wrote:I would love this!!!!!iamVFX wrote: So, speaking of Softimaging Blender, I decided to do it myself. Next week, on my free time, I will port Softimage's Keyboard Mapping as a standalone Windows and Linux app for Blender, for free. Just because it's that easy to do and pretty effective in attracting newcomers so less of them would lose their time with Autodesk Maya.
PLEASE DO THIS.![]()
I wouldn't do that, 1:1 key mapping is simply not possible due to different workflows packages have, what I'm doing simply is a visual way of assigning hotkeys for Blender, like in Softimage, that's it. By the way, I remember had a ton of extra clicks in Softimage, I always solve that with custom scripts on shortcuts, pretty sure Blender can do that toowaffleface wrote:Just an fyi, you might be biting off a bigger task than you might think. I've tried this before, and while I do believe its possible, their a an amazing amount of subtleties to look out for, simply like how softimage Shift/Control/Alt and combination/variation to add/subtract selections in the view-port and so on and so far, is radically different from how Blender works by default.... Also, thinks like Softimage sticky keys, and the the mouse interaction in conjunction with holding/releasing keys for quickly adding edge loops, it's completely different from how Blender works and you end up with semi-similar hot-keys but in the end the tools behave completely differently and you end up with a different workflow and a ton of extra clicks compared to softimage. I've tried this, good luck, but I suspect greatly you are over promising, I'd scale back the expectations a bit before anyone gets disappointed.
I think I was not using all those features, my experience with Softimage was a little different from what most of you probably had. It was basically "lets just remove all keys assigned for me by default and reassign them as I like, each one at a time". As simple as that. You pressing the key, you get the tool. You pressing another combination of keys - another tool is enabled, no hidden states or fancy logic, just enogh to get work done.waffleface wrote:I imagine you already fully understand Softimage's hotkey interface/interactions/sticky keys/etc., and have the whole thing (in it's core at least), memorized by heart as all great soft modelers/animators/etc. users have. If not, you might want to skip this entirely because your just going to do a copy paste job of the key and it's most similar tool and it's not going to feel anything like softimage as it will miss all of the subtlety.
That's why I wouldn't do that. Otherwise, I would anounce like "Hey, I want to make Blendimage, I forked it and will spend a few years on redesigning workflow of every tool behaviour available in Blender."waffleface wrote:To do it properly will require actual coding not just key re-mappping, and more to the point it will actually require re-coding parts of blender for some many of the basic (as well as advanced) ways in which the tools actually work, if you want it at all similar. This will result in an immediate and unfortunate fork ( I strongly suspect ).
Exactly. But the current process of assigning keys is old fashioned "here's a list of all possible hotkeys, they're have names, but not that much else, so go figure out what they do." It's not different in other DCC's, Softimage was an unique exception, it's quite impressive how beautiful Keyboard Mapping window is, I would highly curious to know who did it.Shenan wrote:It would be quite a bit of work, like someone has already mentioned, and would probably require experience in both programs to understand certain subtleties. Also, like someone else mentioned, because the programs are fundamentally different you cannot expect to completely replicate the experience, so key presets may only serve as a temporary crutch or training wheels until you get familiar with Blender. Either that, or perhaps if you only use Blender very infrequently, the presets could help you stay up to speed when you keep using another software as your primary one.
Yeah, that's really my overwhelming impression upon dipping my toes into the Blender world: these people are PASSIONATE about their software, and love sharing and helping each other out wherever possible. It's pretty inspiring, and goes a long way toward dissuading me from any objections I have to using the software.Shenan wrote:I wonder if Softimage might have fared better if its community had evangelized it more like Blender's community does and not let a great software languish in obscurity.
I doubt that this is true. If it were, how could one debate the possibility of softimage interaction in another product anyway. There is no softimage user out there that isn't using sticky/supra keys, it's fundamental to the experience. The other fundamental bit is how tools and selection are structured, without it emulating the keys will be mostly for naught.iamVFX wrote:I think I was not using all those features, my experience with Softimage was a little different from what most of you probably had. It was basically "lets just remove all keys assigned for me by default and reassign them as I like, each one at a time". As simple as that. You pressing the key, you get the tool. You pressing another combination of keys - another tool is enabled, no hidden states or fancy logic, just enogh to get work done.